Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Newcastle to Host GB

Newcastle to Host Poms
    Wednesday, October 4, 2006 - 10:53 AM

International football makes its long awaited return to Rugby League?s heartland this month when the Newcastle Rep Side hosts Great Britain on Friday 20 October 2006 at EnergyAustralia Stadium.

Tickets have gone on sale for the Poms only Tri-Nations lead-in match, featuring departing Newcastle Knights winger, Brian Carney alongside the best of the British.

?This is Newcastle?s chance to re-visit the glory days of Rugby League before the Knights joined the National Competition,? said Newcastle Rugby League CEO, Jamie O?Connor.

?In years gone by, the Newcastle ? Great Britain rivalry has always brought out the best of the locals and showcased the region?s Rugby League talent,? he said.

The International was formerly one of the most anticipated events on the Newcastle and Hunter Valley Sporting calendar.

The 1962 side was the last to defeat Great Britain in a spiteful clash at the Number One Sportsground before a crowd of 22,000, winning 23-18.

In that match, two of the English Front Row, Jack Wilkinson and John Shaw were sent off late in the second half, Les Johns and John Satler emerged as future Internationals, and Newcastle Second Rower, Bill Owens went on to play for Australia that year.

64 years later, Newcastle will be attempting to re-write the history books wearing its traditional strip of blue with a white band on the sleeves for the occasion.

A three match programme begins with the Group 21 Under 17s taking on the Newcastle U17s followed by the curtain raiser between English Club, St Helens Juniors and the Newcastle Knights Under 17s Development Squad.

The Newcastle Rep Side - Great Britain clash kicks off at 7.30pm.

The Newcastle Representative Side will be announced next Tuesday.

Source: NRL
    Views: 537

Never fear Grimmace is here and he sall be your reporter for this match as it should be very entertaining

Never Fear Grimmace you will only have to give score updates... 2SM SuperRadio Network is Broadcasting this match...

They will be broadcasting the show From Energy Australia Stadium at 4pm and the game from 7:30pm tomorrow night, with your commentators being Graeme Hughes, Dale Walker and Mark Geyer

If in Sydney tune into 1269AM .... If not, visit here:

http://www.2sm.com.au/listen.htm

This should be a great match, I can't wait for the commentary...

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog_Titan311
    Never Fear Grimmace you will only have to give score updates... 2SM SuperRadio Network is Broadcasting this match...

They will be broadcasting the show From Energy Australia Stadium at 4pm and the game from 7:30pm tomorrow night, with your commentators being Graeme Hughes, Dale Walker and Mark Geyer

If in Sydney tune into 1269AM .... If not, visit here:

http://www.2sm.com.au/listen.htm

This should be a great match, I can't wait for the commentary...
    I was going to the game but i cant as the HSC is on and i decided i should be relaxing

Great Britain Flying Under the Radar
    18.10.06 08:39

While Willie Mason and David Kidwell continue to share the spotlight ahead of Game 2 of the Gillette Tri Nations the third side involved, Great Britain, continues to prepare ?under the radar? on Sydney?s Northern Beaches.

Head coach Brian Noble and the players from St. Helens and Hull join their team mates this week following the Super League Grand Final and they suit up for the first time on Friday night in Newcastle again the local rep side.

Adrian Morley is one of two Australian based members of the squad and he?s had a smile permanently positioned on his face since the advance party arrived last week.

?I love being in Great Britain camp and to have the boys out here has been exciting and I was more than happy to see them.?

The squad arrived to brilliant Sydney sunshine and hot temperatures but Morley says the overcast conditions and rain were a welcome relief when the serious training began.

?It?s cooled off but when they first got here it was hot and there were a few red faces at training. We?ve enjoyed the hot weather but now we?re right into training it?s good it?s cooled down a bit.?

Morley is also quite happy for the Lions to prepare quietly and allow the likes of Willie Mason and David Kidwell to stay in the headlines.

?We don?t expect to be in the spotlight at the moment obviously they played in a test match on the weekend so we?ll let those boys take the heat and we?ll just worry about our own game.?

The advance party of the Great Britain side watch the opening match of the series together and Morley says it whet their appetite for what?s still to come.

?I thought it was a very good game and it was very intense and that?s just what Tri Nations football is all about.?

As one of the genuine hard men of the game the former Roosters prop was also excited by the way both sides were willing to step in when team mates got in trouble.

?It was great to see and it was good to see the boys were showing some emotion it?s good for the game I think.?

The camp is set to step up a gear when the final players arrive from England and Morley believes the Super League champs, who only lost 4 games all season, will bring a wining attitude to the squad.

?They?ve had a fantastic year, the St. Helens boys, so it will be good to get them out here and hopefully we can carry their winning form into the National side.?

Australia is favoured to win the Tri Nations from defending champion New Zealand while few have given Great Britain a chance in the series but Morley says they?re a proud bunch and won?t take a backward step.

?No we won?t. They can say what they want the press, we believe in ourselves and that?s the main thing. If you look at our forward pack it will certainly compete with the Aussies and the Kiwis.?

The tour starts on Friday night when Great Britain returns to Newcastle to play a local representative side at Energy Australia Stadium.

The match marks the end of a suspension for Morley but he says it will be good for his team mates to have a hit out Down Under.

?It?s a really strong side and this is an important part of our preparation this game and we?ll be taking it very seriously. Obviously I can?t play but I?ll be watching the boys and hopefully we can put a good show on.?

Newcastle has a proud tradition in the game and will honour the famed 1962 side that beat the Great Britain side that won the Ashes and beat the mighty St. George while on our shores.

Morley says they won?t be taking their opposition lightly.

?It?s a once in a life time game for these boys to play against a touring Great Britain side. I?m sure they?ll really put their hearts into it and it should be a good game.?

It will be Brian Carney?s first time back at Energy Australia Stadium since finishing up with the Knights but Morley doesn?t think the Novocastrians will give him too hard a time.

?No I don?t think so. He?s really looking forward to the game It?ll be good that he can play another game there, albeit against the locals, he?s really looking forward to it.?

As well as a suspension Morley has been hampered by wrist surgery but says the pins are out and he?s back into training and hopeful his fitness is up to a test match.

?Hopefully it?ll be good, I?ve still been training, it?s obviously different fitness to match fitness but I?m confident if given a shout to play I?ll be able to perform well yeah.?

The 29-year-old is off to Warrington next year after 6 seasons at the Roosters and says he?s looking forward to his first Tri Nations Down Under.

?When it?s in England I like that because I get to spend a bit more time in the UK but because it?s my last year here it?s great that the games over here and I?ll be able to show the boys around.

They?re very excited and the Australian public really deserve to see the games over here because in England it?s been great the last couple of years.?

Following Friday night?s Newcastle game the Lions have a week to prepare for game one of the serious stuff against New Zealand in Christchurch. The team will again watch the second match between Australia and New Zealand together on Saturday night and Morley hopes they rip and tear with just as much ferocity.

?Yeah I hope so. Give each other a bit of softening up before we play them that will be nice!?

Like the New Zealand and Australian squads the Great Britain one has a youthful look about it and Morley says there?s a couple of young guys who promise to be a handful.

?Jon Wilkin from St. Helens I think he?s going to be a great player and he?s only a young lad. Danny McGuire?s played for Great Britain before but he?s still relatively young. If he clicks he can certainly score a try and create a try so we?ve got a few surprises there.?

Like all test matches it will be up front where the games are decided and the 22 test veteran says it will be the likes of himself, skipper Jamie Pea**** and Stuart Fielden who shoulder the major responsibility.

?Some old war horses as well yeah. I love playing for my country, it was and is the best thing I?ve ever done and I?ll hopefully play for a couple more years yet.?

After his time at the Roosters Morley is also well aware of how Australia is unlikely to be caught off guard at any stage in the series. With Coach Ricky Stuart leaving no stone unturned to have his team prepared.

?Yes he will. I know Ricky and how he operates and that?s exactly what he?ll have them doing, it?s good for the national side and it?s good for the game.?

While plenty has been made about Willie Mason?s reaction to the New Zealand Haka in game one, Morley says his team will be quiet and respectful while the Kiwis perform it.

?We always are anyway so we?re not worried about misbehaving like that.?

Source: NRL

Will fox have coverage of this game? And when is it on?

Quote Originally Posted by Capital_Shark
    Will fox have coverage of this game? And when is it on?
    NO, the only coverage is with 2SM on Radio, NO TV channel wanted to cover this game as they were saying it wasn't going to get enough ratings apparently... so yes only on 2SM Radio, the game starts at 7:30pm tomorrow night.

LIONS NAME SIDE TO TAKE ON NEWCASTLE "REPS"
    Wednesday 18 Oct 2006 12:27
    by Chris Riediger

The Great Britain Lions have named a side to take on a Newcastle "Representative" side in a Tri-Nations warm-up match, to be played at EnergyAustralia Stadium at 7.30pm, Friday 20 October, 2006.

The Lions have named an 18-man side, with Jamie Pea**** to captain the side as he did in 2005 - the absence of Paul Sculthorpe giving him another opportunity after their 3rd place finish in the 2005 tournament hosted in the northern hemisphere.

No doubt the Newcastle fans will be keen to turn out and see Irishman Brian Carney. Carney played the 2006 NRL season with the Newcastle Knights; winning the Dally M Winger of the Year award for his efforts. Whilst disappointed he'll be at the Gold Coast Titans in 2007, Carney was a crowd favourite throughout the season and plenty will be keen to wish him well.

The Great Britain side is as follows:
    1. Stuart Reardon
    2. Brian Carney
    3. Martin Gleeson
    4. Keith Senior
    5. Martin Aspinwall
    6. Lee Briers
    7. Danny McGuire
    8. Stuart Fielden
    9. Micky Highm
    10. Jamie Pea**** (c)
    11. Gareth Ellis
    12. Gareth Hock
    13. Sean O'Loughlin

Interchange:

14. Rob Burrow
    15. Andy Coley
    16. David Hodgson
    17. Paul Wood
    18. Ben Westwood

Coach: Brian Noble
    Now that's a pretty decent side, and glad to see they are giving their side a good workout before the Tri-Nations....

Rumour has it Stuart Fielden is captain, will be announced tomorrow.

NO, the only coverage is with 2SM on Radio, NO TV channel wanted to cover this game as they were saying it wasn't going to get enough ratings apparently... so yes only on 2SM Radio, the game starts at 7:30pm tomorrow night.
    Thats annoyed me. I don't mind getting screwed by free to air with coverage, but the only reason I have a fox satellite on my roof is for rugby league. If I could be bothered I'd write a letter!

ARL has to do something about this. How can you be serious about an international series if its not gonna available?

Thats annoyed me. I don't mind getting screwed by free to air with coverage, but the only reason I have a fox satellite on my roof is for rugby league. If I could be bothered I'd write a letter!

ARL has to do something about this. How can you be serious about an international series if its not gonna available?
    But this isn't an international game, its a trial game against a Newcastle Rep side, which won't even include all the Knights FG in it... so yeah I guess all the TV stations thought it wasn't worth broadcasting something with a bunch of Flegg players in it.

2SM however have been great and unlike the other radio station who also have the same opinion as the TV networks, they have taken the ball and run with it and we get the game... but I agree, FOX should cover it if they want to continue their complaint about FTA not showing stuff.

But this isn't an international game, its a trial game against a Newcastle Rep side, which won't even include all the Knights FG in it... so yeah I guess all the TV stations thought it wasn't worth broadcasting something with a bunch of Flegg players in it.

2SM however have been great and unlike the other radio station who also have the same opinion as the TV networks, they have taken the ball and run with it and we get the game... but I agree, FOX should cover it if they want to continue their complaint about FTA not showing stuff.
    hahaha I oughta give myself an upper cut. This is why it pays to read the article not just the title. I assumed it was an international being held at Energy Australia Stadium. Never mind me people, carry on.

hahaha I oughta give myself an upper cut. This is why it pays to read the article not just the title. I assumed it was an international being held at Energy Australia Stadium. Never mind me people, carry on.
    LOL nah its all good, yeah we wish it was.. nah it's a trial match and we are lucky anyone is broadcasting it, because I really wanted to hear how the Newcastle side would go and who would play, and now I get to....

Junior Titan

good news for newcastle
    "Go the Titans"

Here's the Newcastle side, No Knights players from the looks of it, but some young up and comers and some ex former NRL and ESL players here... good luck to them all..

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - Newcastle Rugby League

NEWCASTLE REP SIDE V GREAT BRITAIN
    EnergyAustralia Stadium

7.30pm, Friday 20 October, 2006

Newcastle Rep Side

Coach: Mal Graham

1. Dane Queenan - Nelson Bay Blues

2. Michael Fortier - South Newcastle

3. Aaron Resch - Western Suburbs

4. Andrew Spicer - Nelson Bay Blues

5. Willy Poleo - Cessnock

6. Paul Skovgaard (C) - Lakes United

7. Warick Colley - Nelson Bay Blues

8. Daniel Quinn - Macquarie Scorpions

9. Adrian McNab - Cessnock

10. Marc Reed - Macquarie Scorpions

11. Ji Hill - Nelson Bay Blues

12. Peter Jensen - Cessnock

13. Daniel Frame - Lakes United

14. Cheyne McIntyre - Nelson Bay Blues

15. Daniel Hagan - Lakes United

16. Ian Bourke - Lakes United

17. Chris Swan - Macquarie Scorpions

Titans First Grader

I havnt heard of any of those players. I expect a comfortable GB win and hope the guys on debut will do us proud. GB by 18.