Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Quote Originally Posted by bigjim
    Would be nice, but should never happen.

If English teams came to Australia, they would be at a great disadvantage, as are Australian teams going to England.

The difference would be the score line.

Neither the SL or NRL would benefit from English teams getting consistantly beaten by 30 plus points each year.

Would be a much bigger mountain for the English teams to climb.

Played in England, it's a real challenge for Australian Premiers, a good warm up for the approaching season and English league gets a real boost, which greatly helps with the International game.

If an Australian team can win, you know the're good.
    Then they should find a neutral venue that is outside of both countries.

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Poida
    Then they should find a neutral venue that is outside of both countries.
    But that prob won't attract a crowd then so the teams will actually LOSE money on the game

Quote Originally Posted by The Dave
    But that prob won't attract a crowd then so the teams will actually LOSE money on the game
    yea that's what I was gunna say.

IMO, yes it is a disadvantage to the Australian team going over to England, but who really cares. It just makes it that 1 step harder to win, something a little bit more challenging!

I saw the game 'till Bronco's first try, then went for a round of golf, so I missed the game...Would have liked to see the full game, Been so long since I've seen a game

I wouldn't mind if broncos were a bit rusty come round 1

GO THE MAROONS!

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie_Dee
    yea that's what I was gunna say.

IMO, yes it is a disadvantage to the Australian team going over to England, but who really cares. It just makes it that 1 step harder to win, something a little bit more challenging!

I saw the game 'till Bronco's first try, then went for a round of golf, so I missed the game...Would have liked to see the full game, Been so long since I've seen a game

I wouldn't mind if broncos were a bit rusty come round 1
    oh they will be lol dont worry about that

They should play 3 matches, 1 in England, 1 in Australia and 1 in New Zealand, but I guess that might fatigue the players too much before the season.

Quote Originally Posted by MonaroMan
    They should play 3 matches, 1 in England, 1 in Australia and 1 in New Zealand, but I guess that might fatigue the players too much before the season.
    Given we have some players already complaining about the length of the season - you're right - not a good idea.

The game being played in the UK is fine. Keep in mind the Super League season has started - would it be fair to bring a UK team to Australia when they are in to their season whilst we are in our pre-season? No.

Sure, the UK team has some advantages, though if the team travelling prepares well, plays a warm up game thus getting time to adapt - excuses are left when they step on the plane.

Default St Helens 18 Brisbane Broncos 14: Sculthorpe magic leaves Saints on top of the world

By Dave Hadfield at the Reebok Stadium

Published: 24 February 2007

St Helens' Paul Sculthorpe celebrates his side's victory in the Carnegie World Cup Challenge

The Saints seized the right to call themselves world champions once again last night as they brought two matchwinners off the bench and their winger, Ade Gardner, experienced the lows and highs of the game.

Gardner's blunder gave Brisbane an early lead that looked like the prelude to the Broncos' anticipated victory in the World Cup Challenge at Bolton.

Instead, he turned his fortunes around by pegging them back with his first try before half-time and then winning it for his side 10 minutes from the end.

"He got a kick up the backside from me for that mistake, but he's the best in Super League at defusing the bomb and it was good that he got back into the game and got some credit for himself," said Saints coach, Daniel Anderson.

Gardener fumbled Darren Lockyer's high kick straight into the arms of Corey Parker after only four minutes, leaving him the simple task of touching down. With Parker kicking the conversion and the penalty after Matt Gidley went high on Dane Carlaw, the Broncos seemed to be on their way.

Anderson had a couple of aces up his sleeve. In typical St Helens style, he came up with a double surprise in his team selection, naming both Paul Sculthorpe and Keiron Cunningham among his substitutes.

For Sculthorpe it was his first appearance since the major knee surgery last September, but Saints looked a different team as soon as he came on.

"They are both big-game players, so I'm not going to tell them they can't play if they tell me that they're right," Anderson said.

With Brisbane playing with uncharacteristic caution, Saints clawed their way back into the game. Just before the break, the side beaten in their last two Super League games suddenly started to look like their old selves. Steve Michaels failed to keep Sean Long's penalty out of touch and the ball was swept across field via Long, Leon Pryce, Paul Wellens and Gidley for Gardner to begin his rehabilitation by scoring in the corner. Man of the match Sculthorpe, taking over kicking duties as well as everything else, landed the goal from the touchline.

Brisbane stretched their lead through Lockyer's slide-rule kick for Darius Boyd two minutes after the break, but Saints were instantly more threatening for the introduction of Cunningham, only passed fit on the day of the match.

It was the Saints' two late inclusions who brought them level after 56 minutes, Cunningham hurling out a fast, flat pass from dummy-half and Sculthorpe finding a way past a wrong-footed defence and kicking the goal. " He's put me in for so many tries like that over the last 10 years,'' said the Saints and Great Britain captain.

The Broncos regained their lead when Gidley was again penalised in the tackle and Parker kicked the goal, but Saints and Gardner were not to be denied.

Although Brisbane continued to look dangerous every time they attacked, it was the British champions who broke through, Long kicking for the corner and Gardner leaping to pluck the ball out of the sky.

Sculthorpe was on the mark again and Saints were not going to let their advantage slip away in the remaining 10 minutes.

St Helens: Wellens; Gardner, Gidley, Talau, Meli; Pryce, Long; Fozzard, Roby, Cayless, Gilmour, Bennett, Wilkin. Substitutes used: Sculthorpe, Graham, Hargreaves, Cunningham.

Brisbane: Hunt; Boyd, Tate, Hodges, Michaels; Lockyer, Perry; Carlaw, Berrigan, Civoniceva, Parker, Thorn, Carroll. Substitutes used: Thaiday, Eastwood, Hannant, Ennis.

Referee: S Clark (Australia).

* Brian Noble takes Wigan back to Odsal for the first time since leaving Bradford tonight. Heneeds a convincing performance after defeat by Warrington and a close win over the Catalan Dragons.

http://sport.independent.co.uk/rugby...cle2300430.ece

I wonder how England would enjoy coming here..in conditions that are totally opposite to what they are used competing in...for pretty much their first game of the season..regardless of how much aclimitisation and preparation they have had.
    They would always be at a disadvantage.

Continually playing this game on English soil..is wrong..and to me, a little unfair.

Home ground advantage can play a significant role in the outcome of any game.

It's akin to having every single Origin game played in N.S.W

Considering it is for the title of world champions..I'm not really seeing a 'level playing field'.

If you bought the present Saint Helen's team here to Australia..anyone of our top 4 teams would have beaten them. Easily.

Go the Saints, you made my day. Now for a Titans win what a quinella.
    Nearly forgot go the Dragons and make it a trifecta.

I still can not belive Brisbane wont get rid of that hack in Perry, and try Ennis at half.

Perry would have to be the Steve Bradbury of footballers, he is a joke, and becuase of him they cannot string 2 passes together to use a backline full of stars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

I only caught the last 20 mins of the game and haven't got a replay yet, so I can only comment on what I saw. And I saw the best player in the world, Darren Lockyer, play flat, 1 dimensional football throwing hospital passes to his forwards. I know this style of footy when I see it, I'm a Cronulla fan and Locky's play in the bit I saw was deadset Kimmorley/Anderson combination. It sent a shiver down my spine to see that junk again. I do however hope the Broncos employ this style for the 2007 season.

WCC and St Helens seems like its gonna be Lockyer's demon. The one thing he can't do in the game. I felt sorry for him, he looked absolutely devastated!

But like many have said, no excuses like we've heard in the past. Crap like the Aussie team didn't care, didn't send a decent team, weren't prepared etc. etc. etc. None of that applies here. The Broncos prepared HEAPS for this game and really wanted it. But St Helens obviously wanted it more and took it. Congrats to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Quote Originally Posted by ~Michel~
    I wonder how England would enjoy coming here..in conditions that are totally opposite to what they are used competing in...for pretty much their first game of the season..regardless of how much aclimitisation and preparation they have had.
    They would always be at a disadvantage.

Continually playing this game on English soil..is wrong..and to me, a little unfair.

Home ground advantage can play a significant role in the outcome of any game.

It's akin to having every single Origin game played in N.S.W

Considering it is for the title of world champions..I'm not really seeing a 'level playing field'.

If you bought the present Saint Helen's team here to Australia..anyone of our top 4 teams would have beaten them. Easily.
    I think it can be unfair that they play the game in England but we are suppose to be the better league nation, so I think it works out ok.
    "It akin to like every single origin game played in NSW".... I understand where you are coming from there as that is what it was like when SOO started, they were played in QLD.(QLD won)
    A level playing field... Broncs started ok but Saint Helens got Sculthorpe back on the paddock (a la Langer) and end of story.
    If they brought the present Saint Helen's team to Australia who knows what would happen. I know the standard of leagues over there is getting stronger which is good for the game.
    Also the Broncs scored a try after a blatent forward pass two tackles later. You didn't mention that.

Lockyer wants change in WCC scheduling

Brisbane Broncos skipper Darren Lockyer has called for future rugby league World Club Challenges to be staged a fortnight after Australia's National Rugby League grand final in October.

Lockyer's comments came as the team arrived home following their 18-14 WCC loss to English Super League champions St Helens in Bolton on the weekend.

It was the sixth time in the last seven seasons the visiting Australian NRL champions have lost to the Super League champions in the February play-off.

Lockyer, also the Australian Test captain, said the timing, conditions and venue gave the English champions a major advantage, with the travelling Australians playing in their pre-season.

He said he would prefer the game to be played in October as both sides would have the basically same squads that took them to their domestic titles.

"From the teams that played in the grand final last year, we are missing three players and they were missing a few," Lockyer said.

"And it was the first game off the grass for us. The conditions suited them more, and we had a lot of blokes who hadn't been there before."

"I think there would be a lot more profile if it was two weeks after the season finished," he added.

"It's a good concept, (but) I think the scheduling could be better."

-AFP

http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200702/s1857610.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Dragons
    I think it can be unfair that they play the game in England but we are suppose to be the better league nation, so I think it works out ok.
    "It akin to like every single origin game played in NSW".... I understand where you are coming from there as that is what it was like when SOO started, they were played in QLD.(QLD won)
    A level playing field... Broncs started ok but Saint Helens got Sculthorpe back on the paddock (a la Langer) and end of story.
    If they brought the present Saint Helen's team to Australia who knows what would happen. I know the standard of leagues over there is getting stronger which is good for the game.
    Also the Broncs scored a try after a blatent forward pass two tackles later. You didn't mention that.
    Haha...Great points you have bought up Dragons. Yeah we are supposed to be the better league nation...and we did look so flat.
    I just posted an article above..with some of Locky's comments in it regarding his views on it. I hope they listen to what he says...

Titans First Grader

Im not sure the conditions will be much better playing in late october than they were the other night. It wasnt even that cold.