Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Broncos primed for win

Karl DeKroo

February 13, 2007 11:00pm

Article from:

WAYNE Bennett yesterday scoffed at suggestions of a premiership hangover and said he expected the Broncos to thunder into the new season with a powerful showing in the World Club Challenge.

The Broncos departed for England yesterday for their showdown with St Helens at Bolton's Reebok Stadium on February 23. Australian teams have tended to treat the concept as a glorified trial match but Bennett said the Broncos were determined to win.

"It is the best team we can field with the exception of (the injured) David Stagg so we are taking it very seriously," Bennett said.

"It is always hard for the Australian teams because there is such a huge change in climate and conditions that we have to play under.

"I wouldn't say other (Australian) teams haven't taken it seriously before, but it is hard to make that adjustment to the conditions and we're hoping that playing the warm-up game in Wales helps us a bit."

No Australian team has won the WCC since the Roosters in 2003, while no team has won back-to-back NRL titles since the Broncos in the late 1990s. But Bennett said there was no reason why his team could not break both trends in 2007.

"The way this team has gone about its training suggests to me they are not too concerned about (dwelling on) 2006," Bennett said.

"There doesn't seem to be any hangovers in the club at the moment and while you can't really tell until you start playing, there is a confidence in the team that wasn't there last year.

"That comes from success, but their commitment to training and everything is better than ever."

The Saints have made an ordinary start to the English Super League and were shock losers in the second round to London Harlequins.

But Bennett said he had plenty of respect for the English champions.

"They have some really good players and a good coach in Daniel Anderson," Bennett said.

"He came through an Australian system and they definitely play like an Australian side. We know how they are going to play and it won't be easy."

Asked if he expected to win the WCC, Bennett said: "I'm not thinking about trophies, but I know we've prepared really well and if we can adjust to the environment over there and play well we'll be in with a good chance.

"I just want us to play well. We won't be at our best but hopefully we'll be good enough."

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...003409,00.html

A premiership hangover?...I don't think so.

It never stops amazing me..all the negative things, that the press comes up with.

is it being televised on free to air or foxtel
    GOLD COAST TITANS 08 "THATS MY TEAM"

Quote Originally Posted by ~Michel~
    A premiership hangover?...I don't think so.

It never stops amazing me..all the negative things, that the press comes up with.
    We'll never know till the game begins I guess.

Im more pumped for the Celtic game.

I have a good mate, Jace Van Dijk who played all his junior footy for the Broncos then Canberra, playing half for the Celtics against Lockyer.

It should be a cakewalk for the Broncos, but it is still awesome for Jace to get the oppertunity to pit yourself against the very best in the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

From The Times
    February 15, 2007
    Broncos at full strength for challenge of Crusaders

Christopher Irvine

Celtic Crusaders host Brisbane Broncos in Bridgend this evening ? the equivalent of Carmarthen Town FC tackling Barcelona ? with Darren Lockyer, the world?s outstanding player and 2006 Golden Boot winner, cast in the gal?ctico, accompanied by six fellow members of Australia?s triumphant Tri-Nations series team.

?Just the fact that Celtic Crusaders can be mentioned in the same sentence as Brisbane is great,? John Dixon, the coach of the National League Two club, said. ?I spent ten years there and still have a good relationship with the club, so when they asked if we would like to face them we jumped at the chance. It?s a fabulous opportunity to make people in Wales more aware of rugby league.?

Less than 36 hours after their arrival from Australia, the NRL champions will warm up ? if such a phrase can apply to a 30C temperature drop ? for the Carnegie World Club Challenge match against St Helens in Bolton a week tomorrow, against a blend of callow Welsh youth and Antipodean experience in the Crusaders ranks. The Broncos? jet lag is probably the only thing going for his team, but Dixon is undaunted.

?They see the St Helens game as a huge challenge and they?re going to do their best. If I know anything about Wayne [Bennett, the Brisbane coach] and the way he works, you can?t expect anything but a full hit-out,? Dixon said. ?We don?t expect our players to match them, but each one has got to do the very best he can. For some, this will be one of the highlights of their career.?

Celtic Crusaders were thrashed 56-6 by Widnes Vikings in their opening Northern Rail Cup match and they will face all 18 of Bennett?s World Club squad, a dozen of whom have not played since last September?s NRL Grand Final win. Lockyer, who made headlines before leaving Brisbane by proposing to his girlfriend, has recovered from wrist surgery after he led Australia to their Tri-Nations final defeat of New Zealand.

Having been caught out in a hailstorm against St Helens in the 2001 World Club match, Brisbane are taking no chances. They will wear a pioneering strip that includes chamois panels on the jersey and shorts, enabling players to dry their hands, and a ?gripper print? covering the pectoral and upper-arm area for improved ball-handling.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle1386706.ece

Quote Originally Posted by travop
    is it being televised on free to air or foxtel
    Does anyone know if the game is being televised on Fox?

Celtic Crusaders v Brisbane Broncos preview

Written by: Celtic Crusaders Media
    February 15th, 2007 07:28 AM

Celtic Crusaders will field a squad of 22 players for their Bulmers Original Cider Challenge match against Brisbane Broncos at the Brewery Field in Bridgend this Thursday (kick-off 7.30pm).

In addition to the 17 who played against Widnes Vikings, coach John Dixon has added Andy Boothroyd, Phil Cushion, Grant Epton, Craig Richards and Geraint Davies to a larger than normal substitutes bench.

Boothroyd and Richards will both make their Crusaders debut against the highest possible quality of opposition while for Richards, it will be his first ever game of Rugby League. The former Bridgend, Llanelli and Newport Union winger was transferred to the club in January.

Brisbane Broncos arrived in the country on Wednesday and were bringing with them a squad of just 18. But the 18 players are those of the highest quality in the Rugby League world.

The Broncos will be led by the world?s best rugby league player, Darren Lockyer who in 2006 captained Queensland to a famous State of Origin win, then led the Broncos to the NRL championship before taking Australia to Tri-nations victory. He scored the match-winning tries for both Queensland and Australia, and finished off Melbourne with a late field goal in the NRL decider.

Lockyer is one of nine Australian internationals in the Broncos side, with Shaun Berrigan, Petero Civoniceva, Justin Hodges, Karmichael Hunt, Brent Tate and Sam Thaiday all starring with Lockyer in the Tri-Nations win last November.

Crusaders coach John Dixon is looking forward to the match and to the recognition it will bring to rugby league in Wales.

?Just the fact that Celtic Crusaders can be mentioned in the same sentence as Brisbane Broncos is great,? said Dixon. ?I spent ten years with the Broncos and still have a good relationship with the club so when they asked me if we would like to face them, we jumped at the chance.

?This game gives us a fabulous opportunity to make people in Wales more aware of Rugby League and it gives our players, many of whom want to play in the 2008 World Cup, the chance to see how good the world?s best are.?

The Broncos are in the UK to play in the annual Carnegie World Club Challenge against the 2006 Super League Champions, St Helens on Friday 23rd February and as English clubs have won five out of the last seven matches since the annual event was re-instated in 2000, the Broncos are hoping to change things by playing this warm-up match.

St Helens and Brisbane Broncos last met in the World Club Challenge in 2001 with St Helens running out narrow 20-18 winners on a cold snowy night.

The Broncos don?t want to leave anything to chance this time around, hence this match with the Crusaders to get them acclimatised to our weather.

"I think they have learned both from that trip and from Wests Tigers defeat last year,? adds John Dixon, ?They know they need to get over here early to acclimatise if they are to perform well in the World final.?

When Australian Rugby League champions Brisbane Broncos walk out onto the Brewery Field against Celtic Crusaders this Thursday (kick-off 7.30pm), they will be wearing a new type of rugby shirt for the first time.

The shirt will include innovations never seen before in rugby. Topping the list is a chamois panel on the back of the shorts that players will use to dry their hands during a match. Also aiding handling is a ?gripper print? covering the pectoral and upper arm area where a player generally carries the ball.

Nike Dri-fit panels down the jersey and shorts allow the clothing to mould to the form of the body, while a tight neckline reduces the risk of players being tackled around the collar.

Brisbane Broncos skipper, Darren Lockyer said that the shirt was one of the most streamlined he had ever worn. ?It is very form fitting, which will make it harder for tacklers to grab us by the jersey,?? he said. ?The chamois panel will also be very useful during a match, especially for players like myself, who handle the ball constantly and need to keep their hands as dry as possible.?

Tickets for the Crusaders match will be available from the box office at the Brewery Field on Thursday night priced ?10 for adults, ?5 concessions. The box office will initially open from 9am until 3pm before re-opening at 5.30pm.

Anyone who attends the match on Thursday night can buy cut-price tickets for the Celtic Crusaders v London Skolars Northern Rail Cup match on Sunday. Reduced to just ?5 for adults, ?2.50 for children, the tickets will be available from the club shop on Thursday.

Celtic Crusaders v Brisbane Broncos
    Bulmers Original Cider Challenge
    Thursday, 15 February, Kick-off: 1930 GMT
    Brewery Field, Bridgend, Wales

Crusaders: Paul Ballard, Anthony Blackwood, Andy Boothroyd, Neil Budworth, Josh Cale, Mark Dalle Cort, Phil Cushion, Geraint Davies, Hywel Davies, Gareth Dean, Tony Duggan, Grant Epton, Dean Fitzgerald, Jamie I?Anson, Richard Johnson, Darren Mapp, Damien Quinn, Craig Richards, Rob Toshack, Jace Van Dijk, Neale Wyatt, Luke Young.

Broncos: Darren Lockyer (captain), Shaun Berrigan, Darius Boyd, Dane Carlaw, Tonie Carroll, Petero Civoniceva, Greg Eastwood, Michael Ennis, Ben Hannant, Justin Hodges, Karmichael Hunt, Steve Michaels, Corey Parker, Shane Perry, Brent Tate, Sam Thaiday, Brad Thorn, Tame Tupou.

http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=12804

Does anyone know if the game is being televised on Fox?
    WCC I think will play on Channel 9 at about 5 in the morning over here.
    Might be 4 over there due to daylight savings.

Is the Bronc's v's Crusaders game being televised on FOX?

Is the Bronc's v's Crusaders game being televised on FOX?
    Not sure. I can have a look for you hunny

Comeback kid Ennis faces test

By Steve Ricketts

February 15, 2007

BRISBANE rake Michael Ennis says his battle with St Helens' Keiron Cunningham in the World Club Challenge will be a crucial step in his bid to relaunch his career.

British critics regard Cunningham as the world's best hooker and while Ennis said Newcastle's Danny Buderus was still the benchmark, he was looking forward to the challenge of marking the Welshman.

Returning from major knee surgery, Ennis and Test utility Shaun Berrigan are expected to share the dummy-half role against St Helens at Bolton's Reebok Stadium on February 23.

"I haven't seen too much of Cunningham but from what I have seen he deserves the respect he has got to his name," Ennis said yesterday.

"It will be a big challenge and playing against him will show me where I'm at in terms of being ready for the start of the season."

The Broncos arrived in London late yesterday and will play a trial against Celtic Crusaders in Wales later today.

Broncos coach Wayne Bennett has attempted to hose down the boom surrounding teenage prop Dave Taylor, who will play in a trial against Wynnum tomorrow.

"Dave has that many soft spots in his game, he is a long way off first grade at the moment," Bennett said.

"He has wonderful potential and he has an exciting future, but it is not today and it is not going to be tomorrow unless he picks up on a few things.

"I'm not going to listen to the critics and the fans, because I work with him every day and I know how much he has to learn before he comes into first grade.

"Right now he'd be an expensive guy to play because he'd cost us by doing things you can't afford to do in first grade. When Dave is ready he'll get the opportunity."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23214,00.html

Brisbane Broncos are looking at the possibility of calling on Celtic Crusaders players if some of their squad are injured when facing the Bridgend-based club in the Bulmers Original Cider Challenge at the Brewery Field on Thursday night (kick-off 7.30pm).

The Broncos are bringing just an 18-man squad to the UK and are concerned that if players are injured in Thursday?s encounter, this may leave them short for their Carnegie World Club Challenge match against St. Helens in Bolton eight days later.

The Broncos have two players on stand-by to fly over if needed for the St Helens match, but if more than three pick up knocks, then they will turn to the Crusaders, who are coached by former Broncos assistant John Dixon, for support.

Speaking in the Brisbane Courier-Mail newspaper today, Broncos? chief executive Bruno Cullen said: "There are a couple of former Broncos boys who are playing over there, so they know our systems. Obviously it wouldn't be ideal, but if we needed someone on the bench at short notice and if we can organise the relevant clearances and alike, it could be an option."

Current Crusaders players Neale Wyatt, Darren Mapp, Tony Duggan, Jace Van Dijk and Damien Quinn have all played for the Broncos in the past.

Tickets for Celtic Crusaders v Brisbane Broncos will be available from the box office at the Brewery Field on Thursday night priced ?10 for adults, ?5 concessions.
    Link for it

I hope the halfback for the Broncos and a couple of other get the flu or something, and Jace gets his chance for the big time like he deserves.

Titans Management should be looking at this bloke as some depth to our young and inexperienced halves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Also take into account how bad Queensland NRL teams are in cold conditions.
    Might give Saints a bit of an advantage as well.
    But I still think the Broncos may just get home.
    By about 4 points or 7.
    Last edited by Poida; 15-02-07 at 09:20 PM.

Titans First Grader

bbc.co.uk

Brisbane Broncos warmed up for next week's World Club Challenge game against St Helens with a 32-6 win against Celtic Crusaders in Bridgend.
    Steve Michaels (2), Brent Tate, Justin Hodges, Darren Lockyer and Karmichael Hunt all ran in tries.

The Crusaders points came from a Grant Epton try converted by Luke Young.

"The game served its purpose. We were a bit rough around the edges, but it was good we got it out of the way tonight," said Broncos captain Lockyer.

"They really stuck with us in the first half, and it was a case of us grinding things out a bit more in the second period.

"We only got off the plane on Wednesday, but this was a good experience, especially for our younger guys who would not have played in the conditions over here before.

"We are grateful the Crusaders gave us this game, and it was certainly played in a good spirit."

Former Wales rugby league stars David Watkins, Mike Nicholas, John Devereux and Allan Bateman were among a 2,000 crowd at the Brewery Field.