Default Dragons grand final not far away: Brown

Dragons grand final not far away: Brown
    Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 7:30 PM

As another promising NRL premiership campaign ended in heartbreak, St George Illawarra coach Nathan Brown could see beyond the gloom.

For the second year running, the Dragons made it to the penultimate weekend but again fell short of a grand final appearance, this time falling to minor premiers Melbourne 24-10.

Although 2006 will go down as another year of promise unfulfilled, Brown predicted the joint-venture club wasn't far away from a second grand final appearance.

"If we keep putting ourselves in this game, we're the only club that got back here this year," he said after last night's preliminary final loss.

"The other clubs that got to this game last year didn't front up.

"If we keep fronting up, eventually we might land the right hook and get there ourselves.

"As sad as it is, the great positives for me were last year, some young blokes that were quite disappointing at this time of year in (Ashton) Simms and (Justin) Poore and (Ben) Creagh were amongst our best players.

"It shows they got a lot out of last year and they're the new breed coming through.

"All is not lost all the time, but a year is lost and for myself I've been waiting 27 years to do a victory lap, so if I need to wait till 28, I need to wait to 28 I suppose."

Brown said the loss to the Storm was just as painful as last year's capitulation to eventual premiers Wests Tigers.

"My wife said to me last year, after I sobered up four days later when she finally saw me again after the Tigers game, 'Darling, you know what your problem is ... you love football that much but football doesn't love you back sometimes'," he said.

"That's how you feel.

"There can only be one winner.

"I said before the game, one (team) is going to be sad and one is going to be happy.

"Unfortunately for us, we're the sad ones."

While Brown will have another chance to steer the Dragons to a title, captain Trent Barrett was almost inconsolable after his side crashed out of contention.

Barrett, who will join Super League side Wigan next season, was shattered to be leaving his club of 14 years without a first grade premiership.

"My head is a bit all over the shop," he said.

"It wasn't meant to end this way.

"All the guys, you can't say that they don't try.

"I'm very proud to be their captain and I have a lot of friends for life with them guys.

"It would have been nice to play next week, but it's not to be.

"They can all hold their heads very high."

Asked if 2006 seemed the Dragons' best chance for a breakthrough title, Barrett said: "I thought we were a good show, yeah."

The result is also sad end for Dragons stalwarts Luke Bailey and Shaun Timmins, who played their last match for the joint-venture club.

Timmins said he was leaving a club that was in good shape for the future.

"For sure, they've got players coming through and I'm sure they'll win a comp soon," he said.

"Both on and off the field I've met some great people.

"It's a great club and I'm very thankful I've been involved in it for 14 or 15 years."

Source: AAP
    Views: 2,341

I can see it now; Nathan Brown is sitting in his office singing "Someday over the rainbow".......

"Someday over the rainbow"?

The Dragons will also miss a few of their best players like Barrett, Bailey etc. but I still have hopes they'll make another grand final appearance.

Ahhhh how naive Brown must be...
    Signature removed as per member guidelines

Junior Titan

i don't think it will happen like that. They will continue to choke until they actually review what there doing wrong and fix it
    "Go the Titans"

Quote Originally Posted by Queenslander
    I can see it now; Nathan Brown is sitting in his office singing "Someday over the rainbow".......
    Why...oh why...cant I :lol!:

Default Shav

Yes Nathan what ever you say Nathan, 3 bags full Nathan :')

92 - 93 - 97 - 98 - 2000 - 2006

Titans Captain Hoppy2007Dragons's Avatar

Well well see, i think the young guys have lots of expirence from this year and lasy year, so in a few years after rebuilding we will get one.

We have missed 2 beautiful opportunities in the past 2 years to make it to the GF, and I am not as optimistic about the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers
    We have missed 2 beautiful opportunities in the past 2 years to make it to the GF, and I am not as optimistic about the next few years.
    Broncos did the same thing in 2001 and 2002.
    It took till 2006 to make the final again

So by my calculations, Dragons will be in the Grand Final in 2010
    Ouch!
    -
    "And that's the ball game" - Steve 'Blocker' Roach after NSW hit the lead 23-18 with 5 mins to go...
    State Of Origin Game 1 1998
    -
    1992 - 1993 - 1997 - 1998 - 2000 - 2006

Just wait you doubting thomases,

we will be back bigger and better next year.

Of that I have no doubt.

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

Any Dragons team is better without Barrett
    -
    "And that's the ball game" - Steve 'Blocker' Roach after NSW hit the lead 23-18 with 5 mins to go...
    State Of Origin Game 1 1998
    -
    1992 - 1993 - 1997 - 1998 - 2000 - 2006