Hybrid View

Default Sony slashes price of PS3 game console

Sony slashes price of PS3 game console
    September 22, 2006

Sony Corp says it will cut the price of its much-anticipated PlayStation 3 video game console by 20 per cent, heating up the competition in the next-generation gaming war against rivals Microsoft and Nintendo.

The announcement comes just days after Microsoft announced that it would roll out an external high definition DVD player for its Xbox 360 in an effort to match the PlayStation 3, which is due to be released later this year with its own Blu-ray DVD technology.

Sony will cut the price of its basic PlayStation 3 model in Japan to 47,600 yen ($US410), from an originally planned 59,800 yen ($US515).

That puts the PlayStation 3 in the same range as the combined basic Xbox 360 and HD DVD player in Japan, where the duo will sell for 49,600 yen ($US427).

The price cut affects the basic PlayStation 3 model, which comes with a 20 gigabyte hard drive. Another larger version of the PlayStation 3 will have a 60 gigabyte hard drive, but Sony is leaving its pricing to retailers.

The announcement could give the PlayStation 3 a badly needed boost in Sony's home market.

The launch of Sony's PlayStation 3, initially planned for earlier this year, has been postponed twice. A decision to delay PlayStation 3 in Europe for four months until March was announced earlier this month.

The PlayStation 3 will hit stores in Japan on November 11 and in the United States on November 17, but Sony now expects to ship only 2 million units by year's end instead of 4 million as originally planned.

AP

Titan First Grade Squad

good to hear a price cut on some products..

WHOOOOOO YES XBOX WILL WIN THE NEXT GEN CONSOLE WAR. still in xbox has the home advantage cause it was released much earlier then ps3 just like wat happened to the original xbox but the other way round
    GOLD COAST TITANS 08 "THATS MY TEAM"

:win: great news. i might consider buying one, i wasnt going to pay $1000 for a console when i already have a good gaming PC.

Quote Originally Posted by robbie_dee
    :win: great news. i might consider buying one, i wasnt going to pay $1000 for a console when i already have a good gaming PC.
    It's worth noting that the price drop is for Japan only at this stage. It will still be $999 here in Australia with a release date of March, 2007.

Sony need to drop the price by even more IMO, to be compeditive with the XBOX 360.

But when you look at the components in the console the Blue Ray dvd player in it is worth $1500 itself. It aparently is costing Sony $300 for every one sold.

I want one but doubt I will be able to afford it, which is helping change my mind about buying the the XBOX 360.
    Signature removed as per member guidelines

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by robbie_dee
    yeah me to
    "Go the Titans"

Junior Titan

OMG I can't belief it.

Quote Originally Posted by zacaroo
    good to hear a price cut on some products..
    and on something most want lol.
    like me for one