Default NRL: Sharks; Kimmorley ready to quit

Kimmorley ready to quit Sharks
    By Steve Mascord
    September 18, 2006

SHARKS captain Brett Kimmorley says he is willing to consider leaving the club with a year left on his contract.

In a dramatic development as the Sharks prepare to table the findings of a management review, Kimmorley said last night that while he wanted to stay in the Shire, he was willing to consider alternatives.

That follows coach Tim Sheens telling The Sunday Telegraph Wests Tigers might be interested if Sharks continue to pay a portion of Kimmorley's contract.

"If they make the decision to sack me, at least they would have to pay some money for me to leave," said Kimmorley.

"Even though no one would have much money left I'd still like to think I'd be able to get somewhere. I don't really want to go overseas at the moment because we're due to have a baby in seven weeks."

Kimmorley said he would not voluntarily walk away from the Sharks, whose coach Stuart Raper is thought to be under pressure to retain his job.

"But if they take that out of my control, I'll have to look elsewhere I suppose," he said.

"I don't know what their opinion is. They've bought (Brett) Seymour. I thought that was for beyond next year - whether their thoughts have changed, I don't know."

Kimmorley's relationship with possible new Sharks coach Ricky Stuart has been the subject of much conjecture.

Asked if such a change would affect him, Kimmorley said: "I haven't got a clause in my contract that says I can leave if any coach gets sacked.

"I don't want to speculate on things if things aren't going to change." The signing of the Shark halfback's close friend, coach Chris Anderson, to Sydney Roosters on Friday led to immediate speculation Kimmorley might be headed there.

But when asked if he would categorically rule out an approach to Kimmorley, Roosters chief executive Brian Canavan said: "yes".

Sheens said: "As far as whether we're interested in him, I would neither confirm nor deny it at this stage.

"Anyone would be interested in a player like him but I would imagine the cost would be prohibitive. We're interested in any quality player, but ..."

Insiders say while Kimmorley is popular in the Shire and highly regarded as a player, his $425,000-a-year price tag is seen as the ticket to putting the broom through the club many influential figures are presently pushing for.

Even if the Sharks continue to pay some of Kimmorley's contract while he is at Wests Tigers, the money saved would help them sign Ricky Stuart as coach and upgrade the contract of NSW lock Paul Gallen who last week asked for a release.

Kimmorley said he was trying to avoid worrying about the issue.

"A few weeks ago, you're reading they should sack Stu and a few columns saying they should sack me," he said.

"I had a few restless nights and things like that."

Sharks chief executive Greg Pierce commented: "Neither Brett nor his manager have come to me. I'm not going to worry about things that might not happen."

The Daily Telegraph

:hi:

Titans Rep Player [BroncosGirl]'s Avatar

Its such a shame to see him go down the drain!
    Hes gone downhill since that origin intercept! Which really, I know its origin, but it happens to everyone! Gees!
    Brisbane Broncos
    Oooooh Yeh, Yow Yeh!!!
    titans.bulldogs

everybody dances to their own boom boom

Quote Originally Posted by [BroncosGirl]
    Its such a shame to see him go down the drain!
    Hes gone downhill since that origin intercept! Which really, I know its origin, but it happens to everyone! Gees!
    Yeah, I dunno what the problem is, it was only a NSW loss.. And they won the bloody series, give the bloke a break. He'd be given the keys to the city if it went to Cooper like intended.

Good thing QLD got over Hodges and THAT year in goal.

I guess that shows the difference in what kinda players they are though.
    Kimmorely needs to find something like Hodges did, to get himself out of this rut.
    Brisbane Broncos
    Oooooh Yeh, Yow Yeh!!!
    titans.bulldogs

Your right, Noddy does need to prove himself again. $425K a year prove himself. But to be fair to the bloke, what has he got left to do? He's got a premiership with Melbourne, winning SOO and Australian halfback. Getting Cronulla a flag would prove every last doubter wrong, but thats a massive ask in the current state. Maybe Noddy hit his peak at young age.

He doesnt need to win sharks a flag to prove himself, hes just got to start playing like he believe he can!
    Brisbane Broncos
    Oooooh Yeh, Yow Yeh!!!
    titans.bulldogs

Junior Titan

Kimmorley does not need to leave nor does he need to prove himself as he already has achieved allot in his career he just needs to shift positions I believe his style of play is more suited to 5/8 the way he delays his passes and prefers to play a flatter style of attack. Cronulla need to try dykes at 1/2 and Kimmorley at 5/8 instead of persisting with Kimmorley at 1/2

Ricky Stuart won't stand in his way from what I know ... it is getting ugly out at Cronulla. Super League beckons for the young Kimmorley family.

DeeGan its been ugly since Anderson was there...

Cronulla are a great club but its had turmoil from the top to the bottom, fans are still waiting for that elusive first premiership, the board has been there for what seems to be an age and frustration is starting to get the better of everyone, I mean some of my good mates are Cronulla fans and they have had enough.

Maybe its the laid back attitude of people in the Shire, maybe its just a confidence thing, but one thing is assured IMO...I think sadly its time for someone to sweep a broom through the place and start anew, from the top to the bottom... and Ricky going in will be the start of that change...

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog_Titan311
    I think sadly its time for someone to sweep a broom through the place and start anew, from the top to the bottom... and Ricky going in will be the start of that change...
    Your a smart man Bulldog. Thats exactly what needs to happen. Its been the same old bunch of mates running the joint for god knows how long now, and its obviously not worked/working, just look at the trophy cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by Capital_Shark
    Your a smart man Bulldog. Thats exactly what needs to happen. Its been the same old bunch of mates running the joint for god knows how long now, and its obviously not worked/working, just look at the trophy cabinet.
    LOL thanks CS, I'm not smart, I just have friends who I am sure like you, have had enough of going year after year without getting anywhere, and they have finally said enough is enough.

I really feel for you Sharks fans, back in the late 90's early 00's you actually were getting somewhere. Being an ex- Norths supporter, I know how it feels to keep getting to finals and losing at the last or 2nd last hurdle, never reaching the GF... at least you reached one in 1997 and got close a few times.

I think from my view and my mates views, the most frustrating thing for the Sharks in recent years is that at the start of the season you are top of the table material, 10/10 performances and everyone is looking at finals.

Then every year you end up either 8th,7th or outside the 8, in recent years its actually gotten pretty ridiculous.

I mean it wouldn't be so bad if you were getting to the premliminary or grand final and getting beaten, I think Sharks fans could accept that.

But to go 8 games straight winning and then 10 games straight losing.... there is something very wrong, and it ain't the players entirely who take the blame, especially when it happens 3 seasons straight.

I would love to see Kimmorley playing for a great coach like Sheens or Stuart.

Never been a fan of Noddy's but wish him well where ever he goes, but not at the Dragons Noddy.