Default NZ unleash Vatuvei in Tri-Nations

From NRL.com

New Zealand will unleash the rugby league equivalent of Jonah Lomu when 'The Beast' makes his international debut in the Tri-Nations series opener against Australia on Saturday night.

Manu Vatuvei, a 108kg wrecking ball, has been chosen on the Kiwis' left wing in the hope he'll live up to his nickname and terrorise the Australian flankers.

He has already shown glimpses of his potential in the NRL this year with nine tries from 12 games for the New Zealand Warriors, the best of them a long-range special against Newcastle in round six.

New Zealand coach Brian McClennan said the softly spoken 19-year-old, who earned his nickname after comparisons with Kiwi legend Kevin 'The Beast' Iro, was a star in the making.

"I actually played alongside Kevin Iro in his first few games and (the nickname) is a fair call, this boy is so athletic," McClennan said.

"He has so much agility for his size. Manu weighs in at 108kg and would probably be the quickest over 40 metres in the team.

"I've seen him over the years in the junior Kiwis and seen him progress on.

"They nudged him along slowly, but now his moment has come. His finest hour is here."

Australian prop and Warriors teammate Steve Price described Vatuvei as a "monster", comparing his size and athleticism to that of former Brisbane winger Wendell Sailor.

"He's a monster and probably the only thing that's held him back over the last couple of years has been injury," Price said.

"It's no surprise for me that they picked him. He's young, he's been playing well and he is not very small.

"Because of his speed, he has scored some great tries out wide and he is big, so he is quite damaging when he runs the ball.

"He's like Wendell Sailor. When (coach) Wayne (Bennett) used Wendell he'd get him in and make him do a few hit-ups, he's an extra forward.

"He's big enough to do that and when he's out wide he's got the speed to cause havoc out there as well."

With his huge frame, frizzy black hair and unmistakable gold front tooth, Vatuvei is an imposing sight with the ball in hand or lurking in the defensive line.

And while he has been compared to All Black legend Jonah Lomu because of his towering frame, the highly religious Tongan is a softly spoken gentle giant who is excited at the prospect of fulfilling his dream of wearing the Kiwi jersey.

"I'm nervous and excited, I just want to do a good job," he said.

"If I get the chance it would be good to run (over) a few of the Aussie guys, I'll just try to help the forwards and do my best."

Fellow debutant Matt King is likely to be given the task of marking up on Vatuvei, one of the few times the towering Australian won't have a size advantage over an opponent.

"(He) is a big strong fella and hopefully he scoots in the middle of the field instead of running at me - I'll let the forwards look after him," King joked.

"I've seen a couple of games when he scored a few times, but no doubt being a Kiwi on the wing he's going to be a big strong fella that can run pretty fast.

"If it's not Francis Meli running at you, it's someone else out wide.

"I've just got to be strong out there and get stuck into it."

This bloke is a deadset beast. hope to see him lift NZ this year

Crikey!!!

He'll make Kingy look tiny!!

And a winger!!!

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

I think he has 10kgs of hair LOL

Titan CEO

Quote Originally Posted by Dakink
    Crikey!!!

He'll make Kingy look tiny!!

And a winger!!!
    Kings strong....dont let his lankyness fool you.

I havent seen alot of vatuvei but what i have seen i havent been overly impressed, well excpet for scoring 9 tries from 12 games. But size isnt everything.

Manu Vatuvei may be a big winger but king is slighty taller. King is not a lanky guy. King this seasong has done some amazing things season. Vatuvei has also done some good things but in speed and strength nothing breats king. We'll see whos better under high balls.

Titan CEO

Quote Originally Posted by Friend
    Manu Vatuvei may be a big winger but king is slighty taller. King is not a lanky guy. King this seasong has done some amazing things season. Vatuvei has also done some good things but in speed and strength nothing breats king. We'll see whos better under high balls.
    king is a legend i know. and i didnt mean lanky as in skinny and tall...i just meant he isnt really built and is tall.

I still would of loved to seen the Soliola/Vatuvei Combo. Both 19 years old, damn how big this combo would of been. Combined weight of 200kg on one side of the field. Damn lol.

Would of been good. Shame Sia pulled out.
    Iosia Soliola

Debut: Round 1, 2005 vs South Sydney
    First Grade Games: 40
    Career First Grade Try's: 14
    Career First Grade Points: 56
    International Caps: 5 tests for New Zealand
    International Try's: 4
    International Points: 16

The Iosia Soliola Hitlist: Ashley Harrison, Paul Gallen, Beau Scott, Joel Reddy, Tame Tupou, Awen Guttenbeil, Ben Hannant, Chris Armit, Adam Dykes, Greg Inglis, Justin Poore, Stuart Fieldon, Nathan Hindmarsh

we aint scared we are more scared of nathan cayless.

Quote Originally Posted by Hindy_Magic
    we aint scared we are more scared of nathan cayless.
    only if he is in his best form, which he hasn't been in for a while now.

King v Vatuvei will definitely be one of the highlights for mine.

Titan First Grade Squad The Original Idiot's Avatar

Cayless is too old now. Vatuvei-King will be a good contest, honours even at the end, at least one of them will score.
    Sig deleted. Please refer to the member guidelines for allowable sig sizes.

Manu Vatuvei is a monster and an awesome talent though give me Matt King anyday of the week.

Matt King is arguably the strongest centre in the NRL competition and will more than handle his own when marked up on the latest "new jonah".

DeeGan