Default We'll take Tuqiri back, say Broncos

We'll take Tuqiri back, say Broncos
    Friday, September 15, 2006 - 11:28 AM

Brisbane is "very interested" in reclaiming Wallabies star Lote Tuqiri and the NRL club's chief executive Bruno Cullen says the big winger has yet to show his best in rugby league.

But Cullen admits affording Tuqiri may be another matter.

Tuqiri said this week that he would like to play rugby league again, catching the interest of the Broncos, where he started his professional career and racked up 250 points in 99 appearances between 1999 and 2001.

Like friend and fellow Wallaby leaguie Mat Rogers, Tuqiri comes off contract with the Australian Rugby Union after next year's Rugby World Cup.

Cullen said while no contact had yet been made, Brisbane's door remained open to a former favourite son and he believed there was more Tuqiri could achieve in the code.

"We're certainly very interested in talking to him," Cullen told Sydney's Radio 2KY.

"Lote probably didn't play his best footy with us, he played very good football and won a premiership with us but he's developed into a lot better athlete.

"He has remained a very good friend to the Broncos and he talks to (coach) Wayne (Bennett) a lot.

However, Tuqiri's case may be very different from that of Rogers, who announced this week he was returning to the NRL with the Gold Coast Titans in 2008.

While Rogers is a fine union player he has been coming off the bench for the Wallabies.

Tuqiri is four years younger at 26 and close to Australian rugby's most valuable player, not only on the field but as a marketing face with his great popularity and striking appearance.

And when highly paid senior Wallabies like captain George Gregan and Stephen Larkham inevitably depart after the World Cup, freeing up large sums of money, Tuqiri will be well placed for another pay rise.

As Cullen said: "Whether we've got the dollars or not is another thing but we'd certainly be very interested in talking to him."

Tuqiri's NSW Waratahs coach Ewen McKenzie indicated past experience showed his star winger was a good negotiator.

"I've had a couple of discussions with him and he, by nature, will keep his cards very close to his chest," McKenzie told Radio 2KY.

"It won't surprise me at all (if he returns to league) but I'm sure he'll, given previous negotiations, have a good examination of the market and then he'll have to make a decision."

Meanwhile, Cullen admitted the Broncos should have moved earlier to hose down rumours surrounding Bennett and a possible move to the Sydney Roosters.

"I'm relaxed in saying that we all agree that it probably went on too long," said Cullen.

Cullen announced on Thursday night that Bennett had confirmed he intended to see out his contract and remain with Brisbane until 2009.

Asked why Bennett had failed to douse the speculation sooner, he said: "Wayne's a bit like Sir Joh Bjelke Petersen, one of our (Queensland) premiers, he likes to feed the chooks (media)."

Source: AAP

Junior Titan

I like the last sentences
    "Go the Titans"

i honestly wouldnt care which queensland team he went to long as hes back.
    actually broncos should get him again he played very good when he was there

Titans Rep Player [BroncosGirl]'s Avatar

Hmm it would be interesting to see him back, we dont particulary need him, but it wouldnt hurt.
    Wouldnt want him for stacks of money either.
    Brisbane Broncos
    Oooooh Yeh, Yow Yeh!!!
    titans.bulldogs

everybody dances to their own boom boom

i wonder if north queensland would ever take him if neither brisbane or titans did.
    that would be awesome

Titan First Grade Squad

all good news to be getting him back

I'd love to see him back also, but there is no way any NRL club could compete with the $$$$ union is going to throw at him now!! I think he is just being smart and bumping up his price. He won't come back to League till he's near retirement IMO
    :beer: :naughty:

Titans Captain Hoppy2007Dragons's Avatar

yeah, looking forward for when he comes back