Default Titans not interested in De Vere

Titans not interested in De Vere
    By Laine Clark
    September 14, 2006 A RETURN to Australia is on the cards for former Australia centre Michael De Vere after he was one of five players cut by English Super League club Huddersfield.

But Gold Coast Titans football manager Scott Sattler has already ruled out the possibility of adding the former NSW Origin point-scoring machine to their already impressive player roster.

De Vere, 29, has not had his contract renewed despite helping the Giants make the August 26 Challenge Cup final and will play his last game for Huddersfield against Bradford on Monday (AEST).

De Vere said before playing in the Challenge Cup final - which Huddersfield lost 42-12 to St Helens - that he was contemplating retirement even though he believed he had "one or two good years" left in him.

But De Vere said he would most likely return to Australia where he played for the Brisbane Broncos before flying off to the UK in 2005.

Sattler said De Vere no doubt had plenty of experience but ruled out approaching him.

"Mick very early on expressed an interest to come back," he said.

"His experience would be great but priority-wise ... we are probably looking at someone a bit younger."

The Titans roster already boasts the likes of Scott Prince, Preston Campbell, Luke Bailey and Jake Webster and added dual international Mat Rogers' signature yesterday despite him being 32 by the time he dons the Gold Coast colours in 2008.

Three of the five cut Huddersfield players ran out for Huddersfield in the Challenge Cup final at Twickenham.

"Telling a player there won't be a contract for them is the worst job there is for a coach," Huddersfield coach Jon Sharp said.

"And it's even tougher when it's players as good and as professional as the five that will be saying their goodbyes on Sunday (Monday AEST).

"In an ideal world, I would have loved to have given them all new contracts, but I'm afraid that wasn't an option.

"I just hope they all get the send-off on Sunday they deserve."

Former Manly and St George-Illawarra Dragon flyer Albert Torrens is one of five out of contract Huddersfield players who are cutting new deals.

AAP

Junior Titan

he is getting a bit old. I know mat rogers is old but matt looks the kind of bloke that is versatile to keep going around where as de vere looked 40 when he played for the broncos
    "Go the Titans"

Titans Star Player Steve Dangerous's Avatar

he's a great player, but i understand the decision. i'm not sure we'd have much left in the salary cap to begin with.. imo the mat rogers move is a great one, as he's versatile, experienced, and hasn't played himself to death (as searle said, it's not about age it's about the number of miles left in the legs).

BUT while you want experienced players like preston and rogers, who stablelise the team and help the younger ones, you gotta make sure not to tip the balance too far. it's about having experience AND youth in the one team... find the right mix.

I think he missed the boat given we now have a plethora of backline talent to choose from. There is so much one team can fit into $4.0M.

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by DeeGan
    I think he missed the boat given we now have a plethora of backline talent to choose from. There is so much one team can fit into $4.0M.
    great way to put it
    "Go the Titans"

Titans Star Player Steve Dangerous's Avatar

that sums it up really. given we have 27 players signed (plus matty for '08), i can't imagine it being feasable to sign anymore players besides up and comers from qld cup etc. The squad is damn solid as things stand, and there's considerable backup for all key possies.

Junior Titan

yeah he also was a state of origin player so his contract would be to much
    "Go the Titans"