Default Finals Week 2: Sea Eagles vs Dragons

NRL 2006 1st Semi Final

Manly Sea Eagles Vs St George Illawarra Dragons
    Friday September 15th 7:45pm, Aussie Stadium

Referee: Paul Simpkins

Team Notes:

Manly (5th Place)

Form: WWWLBWWWLL

The Sea Eagles have gone down in their last two games in the dying minutes, Losing to Newcastle in the First Qualifying final 25-18 and in Rd 26 to the Melbourne Storm 30-20.

Speculation that Steven Bell (Knee), Ben Kennedy (quadcips) and Matt Ofrord (Knee) are all carrying niggling injuries and may be in doubt for this clash.

Unavaliable Sea Eagles: TBA

Dragons (6th Place)

Form: WLLLLLWWWW

Last time these two teams met,the Dragons came off on top back in Round 6 26-24 at Brookvale.

The Dragons Defeated the Brisbane Broncos 20-4 at a packed Suncorp Stadium for the 2nd Qualifying Final. This was their 4th Consecutive win in a row, and 3rd Consecutive win against Brisbane this year.

Since 1999 these two teams have only played 8 matches and the Dragons have the wood on Manly holding a 6-2 lead.

Speculation that Star Center MArk Gasnier will not play, Daryl Millard is his likely replacment.

Unavaliable Dragons: TBA

MANLY

Brett Stewart
    Michael Robertson
    Steve Bell
    Steve Matai
    Chris Hicks
    Travis Burns
    Matt Orford
    Jason King
    Michael Monaghan
    Brent Kite
    Steve Menzies
    Anthony Watmough
    Ben Kennedy (c)

Interchange:

Shayne Dunley
    Luke Williamson
    Kylie Leuluai
    Mark Bryant
    George Rose (1 player to be omitted)

DRAGONS

1. Clint Greenshields
    2. Wes Naiqama
    3. Daryl Millard
    4. Matt Cooper
    5. Brett Morris
    6. Trent Barrett (c)
    7. Ben Hornby
    8. Luke Bailey
    9. Aaron Gorrell
    10. Jason Ryles
    11. Matt Bickerstaff
    12. Ashton Sims
    13. Ben Creagh

Interchange

14. Danny Wicks
    15. Justin Poore
    16. Sam Isemonger
    17. Shaun Timmins
    18. Michael Henderson
    19. Mathew Head

*Please use this Thread for Game Spoilers*
    Last edited by Hoppy2006Dragons; 12-09-06 at 10:10 AM.

Titans Captain Hoppy2007Dragons's Avatar

Manly unconvinced
    Tuesday, 12 September 2006 @ 7:50 AM
    sportal.com.au

The mind games have begun ahead of Friday's knockout semi-final between Manly and St George-Illawarra, with Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler stating he would be 'very surprised' if Mark Gasnier doesn't play despite the Dragons centre being ruled out on Monday.

Gasnier copped a knee to the hip during the Dragons' 20-4 win over the Broncos on Saturday, and was later diagnosed with a corked hip and a minor strain to his hip flexor.

Club doctors recommended Gasnier not play in the do-or-die match, but Gasnier himself is still hopeful of lining up and Hasler says it is quite unusual to rule out such a star player so far ahead of a big match.

"I think they're playing a bit of cat and mouse," Hasler told The Daily Telegraph. "It's a bit unusual to rule someone out on Monday for a sudden-death match on Friday. Put it this way - I will be very, very surprised if he doesn't play."

Dragons officials also denied The Daily Telegraph access to speak with Gasnier about his injury.

"You're not getting him," Dragons chief executive Peter Doust told the newspaper.

Earlier, Gasnier had refused to rule himself out of the must-win match.

"It's tough to say because sometimes you don't feel so good on Mondays or Tuesdays but come Friday you feel really good and are ready to play," Gasnier said.

"If you are fortunate enough for the coach to give you until kick-off, then you make the most of it. It's very tough. This is what you play all year for, these types of games. Hopefully they can get through this period without me."

Gasnier missed two matches after injuring his hip against the Sharks in Round Nine, and Dragons conditioner Paul McGregor says this latest injury bears similarities.

"It's in the same area, but it's not the same injury," McGregor said. "The only positive I can find is that he will be right for next week.

"He'll be doing his utmost to play, but he's got to be able to do everything by Thursday and at the moment he can't even walk without pain. He's next to no chance."
    It has begun.

damn two teams i hate that are playing but i hate dragons more so i hope manly win

Finals Preview Dragons V Sea Eagles
    Monday, September 11, 2006 - 12:51 PM

This should be a great clash as both teams have their season on the line and have had a rivalry for many years now.

The Dragons on one hand have really struck some form of late with four successive wins while the Sea Eagles have been close all the way but lost their last two at the death.

Both teams have defended brilliantly of late showing a hard nosed unwillingness to give up easy points and get over the advantage line well through their big forwards to really set the back end of the set up for the likes Trent Barrett and Matt Orford.

Both teams are also very fond of spreading the ball wide to their backline, and both are blessed with speed but the Dragons have a definite size advantage, especially in the centres where Gasnier and Cooper tower over Matai and Bell, making them targets for their bigger stronger opponents to run at.

The involvement of the halves for both teams will be critical, and Barrett and Hornby taking on Burns and Orford will be a great battle but with the Dragons scoring so many tries from kicks you can expect the pressure to be on Brett Stewart, Chris Hicks and Michael Robertson.

Sea Eagles captain Ben Kennedy, will be looking for Manly to maintain their discipline for 80 minutes this week knowing that two ?sin binnings? at Newcastle (one of them his own) is something they can?t afford to repeat.

Key Match Ups
    Matt Cooper V Steve Matai

Cooper is not only the sexiest man in league, but the form centre of the competition and his hard running combined with his natural ability caused Brent Tate no end of problems last week. Steve Matai is no slouch and he often gives as good as he gets but he still seems to be a bit green in terms of knowing when to move up or hold back in defence, and in that respect is not the equal of Brent Tate yet, but he is learning fast and if he is on his game is capable of stopping Cooper.

Shaun Timmins V Ben Kennedy

Two old warhorses who just keep ticking. Neither player will ever let his team-mates down and both where their hearts on their sleeve. Both are also playing their last year of NRL football, and despite what they say it does mean a lot to them! They will both make plenty of tackles but it will be their contribution with the ball and the amount of class passes they put on that could decide the winner of this battle.

Head to Head: Since 1999 these two teams have only played 8 matches and the Dragons have the wood on Manly holding a 6-2 lead, winning the latest game in Round 6 26-24 with Matt Cooper being the difference that day

Best Bet: The Dragons were on fire last week, and once they get on a roll are hard to stop back them to get up by either 1-12 or 13 plus, and if you are looking for a try scorer back Matt Cooper and Brett Stewart to get first points for each team
    So excited!!!!!!!

Junior Titan

Default dragons by 6

i am looking forward to the clash between bull bailey and kennedy..... they both play at 100 %.. i personally think that the dragons forwards will be too quick and mobile for manly/..

This is gonna be huge!!

Wish I could head down there for it!

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

Titan First Grade Regular

Well i think Gasnier will play, and having said that, Manly have a very good record against the Dragons, and so i'll be going with my heart on this one.

Manly to win.cya. :ok:

Actually Cliff, it's the dragons that has the good record since 1999, which counts the most, can't wait to see BK vs Timmins.

Junior Titan

Default I Will Be @ The Game...

Should Be Sensational

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford87
    Well i think Gasnier will play, and having said that, Manly have a very good record against the Dragons, and so i'll be going with my heart on this one.

Manly to win.cya. :ok:
    Yup something like 6-2 in favour of the Dragons

Go you Dragons!!!!

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

The Dragons will include Gaz at the last minute, they will play as good, if not better than they did against the Broncos, and win Well... hopefully

Titan First Grade Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Dakink
    Yup something like 6-2 in favour of the Dragons

Go you Dragons!!!!
    Oky Doky i am wrong but still

Manly to Win.cya. :win: urdy:

Sea Eagles Side Named

Brett Stewart
    Michael Robertson
    Steve Bell
    Steve Matai
    Chris Hicks
    Travis Burns
    Matt Orford
    Jason King
    Michael Monaghan
    Brent Kite
    Steve Menzies
    Anthony Watmough
    Ben Kennedy (c)

Interchange:

Shayne Dunley
    Luke Williamson
    Kylie Leuluai
    Mark Bryant
    George Rose (1 player to be omitted)

Manly Sea Eagles Coach Des Hasler has named the same line-up that went up to Newcastle last week. With a five man bench Hasler will be required to trim one player before kick off but wont make that call until the required time, 1 hour before kick off.

There was a question mark over Stephen Bell however earlier today it was announced that he would play, and therefore he has been named in the team.

Im going to the game. My friend got me my ticket on monday Sould be one hell of a game all i can say is GO THE EAGLES!!!!

Millard in for Gasnier
    Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 5:02 PM

St.George Illawarra coach Nathan Brown has called up rookie centre Daryl Millard and given him the big job of filling Mark Gasnier?s shoes in Friday night?s semi final against Manly at Aussie Stadium.

Gasnier was ruled out by medical staff yesterday because of a hip injury.

Twenty one year old Millard, who has signed with the Bulldogs for next season, has played NRL 10 times this season and has 3 tries.

The rookie says he was preparing to play Premier League again this week and the consequences of Gasnier?s injury never dawned on him.

?I hadn?t even thought about it until I arrived to all the media at training.

I just have to worry about my own game and prepare for myself.?

Millard?s inclusion is the only change to the side that beat the Broncos at Suncorp stadium with Matthew Head remaining on a six man bench.

The rookie centre is confident he can fill the breach for Gasnier.

?I think that?s the good thing about this club there?s plenty of depth and there?s always somebody ready to step up if someone gets injured.?

Millard wants to grab the opportunity with both hands.

?It will be good to play in semi finals football and with good players like Trent Barrett and Luke Bailey leaving it?s definitely a memorable opportunity.

Things are clicking well at the right time of year so hopefully we can continue that.?

Manly coach Des Hasler has named the same 18 man squad he took to Newcastle to play the Knights.

Centre Steve Bell was absent from training today because of a virus.

Source: NRL