Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Titans Captain Hoppy2007Dragons's Avatar

Default Dragons want Dell

Dragons want Dell
    Monday, 11 September 2006 @ 1:30 PM
    sportal.com.au

Suspended Wallabies winger Wendell Sailor hopes to have his suspension reduced in order to return to rugby league playing for St George-Illawarra.

The ARU slapped a two-year ban on Sailor after he tested positive for cocaine earlier this year.

Dragons coach Nathan Brown said he would like to see Sailor given a second chance, an opportunity the embattled winger would not turn down.

"If that opportunity come along and hopefully if my ban got cut, I would probably love nothing more than to run out there in a red and white jersey," Sailor told the Nine Network.

Sailor formerly played for the Brisbane Broncos in the NRL before switching codes, while he also represented Queensland and Australia.

Former Cowboy Mitchell Sargent was given a second chance by the Newcastle Knights, signing a three-year deal despite also failing a drugs test.

But Sargent's test was in-house, while Sailor's was part of a drug program, and therefore his two-year suspension was in line with the World Anti-Doping Authority code, a code Sailor believes needs to be changed.

"Anyone that's ever been in trouble for social drugs, they don't take it to enhance their performance, so something has got to be done about that (WADA drug) code," he said.

Sailor added that the shame he has been put through since the positive test is punishment enough.

"At stages through the last five months you think you're the worst person in world," Sailor said.

"Even though (I am) remorseful for it, the way (the media are) writing things I just thought I should have been in Silverwater prison."

"I would like people to think 'well he has certainly paid his price and looking to make himself a better person'."
    I cannot believe this, this is crazy, he has a ban for drugs, i cannot understand why the Dragons would not want to give him a second chance.

Ps. i hope this is one massive rumour, as i feel dell is past his best.

He got rejected by Dragons?

Nah, Nathan Brown seemed to like the idea i think. I just don't like the idea. Even with his drug incident, he would still be exspensive. And i don't think thats fair on the young wingers that deserve a shot.

Yeah , but it'll be a hard decision

I would prefer that we keep Wes and Brett on the wings rather than spend a fortune on big Dell.

Tough call.

Is a player caught using recreational drugs for the first time deserved of being wiped from his chosen profession? Likewise a tough question posed.

The NRL supported the Cowboys and Knights in their call made on Mitchell Seargent. If the Dragons are willing to fork out any fines/penalty for a repeat offence by Wendell Sailor IF he was signed, I wouldn't have too big a problem with the signing.

I don't agree with any form of drug taking (excluding alcohol if we want to get picky) though the penalty dealt down by the ARU looks a tad over the top when looking at how the NRL and AFL deal with first time offenders.

I don't show any empathy for Sailor, the code he played under would have outlined their stance in his contract though after the signing of Seargent to Newcastle, I am open to entertaining the idea of Sailor coming back to the code he should never have left.

I would be over the moon for Wendell to come back to League, and continue the form on where he left off.

So he was under the influence of cocaine, there is such things as Drug Tests which will prove he has learnt from this lesson and has moved on.
    I don't see how Rugby Union can ban him from playing Rugby League when we have different rules to them.

He was by far the greatest winger in the game, he's not too old to have another crack at it.
    He's got my thumbs up.
    Brad Meyers #1 supporter

Junior Titan

Default dragons could take him

It would see wes back to fullback..his preferred possy...

then dell and brett on the wings..

and hornby could move into 5/8 with head at half back

however, they will not lift his ban...they did not do it for walker so i cannot see nrl doing it for dell

Well if it foes happen, i never imagined seeing Dell in the Red V.

I thin khe would miss out anyway, i thin kthe Dragons salary cap and team for next season is pretty much organised.

Bring it on!

I wouldnt mind the big fella in the Red and White.

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers
    I would prefer that we keep Wes and Brett on the wings rather than spend a fortune on big Dell.
    Wes Naqaima had a good game last week against the broncs
    "Go the Titans"

Andrew Walker's ban was made by the NRL - Sailor's by the ARU.

The NRL condoned the signing of Mitchell Seargent to the Knights, I cannot see them putting a black line through the name of Wendell Sailor.

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by DeeGan
    Andrew Walker's ban was made by the NRL - Sailor's by the ARU.

The NRL condoned the signing of Mitchell Seargent to the Knights, I cannot see them putting a black line through the name of Wendell Sailor.
    yeah it's all a bit confusing
    "Go the Titans"

btw , i thought that Dragons was about to buy Dell as in the computer company

So did i when i say the title, i thought Dell was a new sponsor or something, but it caught my eye so i thought i would use the same title.