Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Kangaroo Steelers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sunshine Coast
    Posts
    6,718

    Default Mitchell Sargeant has a new NRL club for 2007...

    Source: www.foxsports.com.au

    NEWCASTLE Knights today announced the signing of sacked North Queensland prop Mitchell Sargent on a three-year NRL contract.

    Sargent was sacked last month for testing positive to cocaine in a Cowboys in-house drug test.

    The Knights initiated the move to sign the 27-year-old Country Origin prop and have strict criteria in his contract governing ongoing counselling and stringent drug testing.

    Sargent said he was happy to be given a second chance in the NRL.

  2. #2
    Titans Captain Grimmace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    At Your House
    Posts
    2,825

    Default Knights sign sacked Cowboy prop Sargent

    Now normally i dont post signings in a " new thread" but this one will have a lot of media articles and possibly a bit of controversy surrounding it so here it is................................................ .................................................. ....
    Knights sign sacked Cowboy prop Sargent
    Thursday, September 7, 2006 - 4:50 PM

    Newcastle has signed sacked North Queensland prop Mitchell Sargent on a three-year NRL contract.

    Sargent was sacked last month for testing positive to cocaine in a Cowboys in-house drug test.

    The Knights initiated the move to sign the 27-year-old Country Origin prop and have strict criteria in his contract governing ongoing counselling and stringent drug testing.

    Sargent said he was happy to be given a second chance in the NRL.

    Source: AAP

  3. #3
    Junior Titan
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    GOLD COAST
    Posts
    254

    Default

    it's good to see he gets another oppurtunity
    "Go the Titans"

  4. #4
    Titans Star Player Steve Dangerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grimmace
    MODS can this thread be closed please as there is another atricle on it
    merged 'em for you.



    It'll be interesting to see what Gallop and the NRL say about this regarding registering his contract etc. Personally I think it's good he's been given a second chance, provided the conditions the knights have layed out in the contract. it seems like a fair move.

  5. #5
    Junior Titan
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    GOLD COAST
    Posts
    254

    Default

    yeah but floyd landis go banned so why didn't he
    "Go the Titans"

  6. #6
    Titan CEO Titanium_BD1103's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Cove- Cheering on SydneyFC!
    Posts
    6,662

    Default

    I agree DL, he should have been banned, but it is up to the NRL, the clubs and ASADA to sort out that loophole, not for us to blame players who get through it...

    Good luck to Mitchell, as long as he keeps his nose clean and I hear he will as he will be regularly drug tested under the terms of the contract, he should be a handy asset for the Newcastle Knights....






  7. #7
    Titans Star Player Steve Dangerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,153

    Default

    because it was an in-house test and not on gameday there's no manditory penalty in place. if the official doping agency had found it then that's another story.

  8. #8
    Titans Captain Grimmace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    At Your House
    Posts
    2,825

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Dangerous
    merged 'em for you.



    It'll be interesting to see what Gallop and the NRL say about this regarding registering his contract etc. Personally I think it's good he's been given a second chance, provided the conditions the knights have layed out in the contract. it seems like a fair move.
    Never fear girrmace has got the article you are after and i agree with gallops statement:
    NRL warning as Knights sign sacked Cowboy
    September 7, 2006 - 5:02PM

    The NRL today agreed to register a contract between the Newcastle Knights and Mitchell Sargent, the former Cowboys prop who was sacked for taking cocaine, but warned the club would be responsible for his behaviour.

    The Knights today announced the signing of Sargent on a three-year NRL contract.

    Sargent was sacked last month for testing positive to cocaine in a Cowboys in-house drug test.

    The Knights initiated the move to sign the 27-year-old Country Origin prop and say there are strict criteria in his contract governing ongoing counselling and stringent drug testing.

    Sargent said he was happy to be given a second chance in the NRL.

    A statement from the NRL said it was assured by the Knights that Sargent would be the subject of a targeted club testing programme.

    The NRL's statement said that clubs had to take responsibility for players they signed who have left another team as a result of disciplinary reasons.

    "If a club signs a player who has been dismissed from another organisation over a behavioural issue then that club must accept that they are assuming some responsibility to the game for the future behaviour of that player," NRL chief executive David Gallop said.

    "The NRL has always had the power to expect clubs to take appropriate action where it is warranted against players and to also take action against clubs where appropriate.

    "In approving the registration of Mitchell?s contract we?ve been advised by Newcastle of what they intend to do to help Mitchell turn things around.

    "We genuinely wish Mitchell well in that aim but it?s also important to remember that were he to bring the game into disrepute again that the Knights may well bear some of that responsibility."

    smh.com.au

  9. #9
    Titans Captain Hoppy2007Dragons's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    2,809

    Default

    yeah, i hope he just doesn't ruin his second chance(which he won't hopefully) everyone needs a second chance sometimes we all make mistakes.

  10. #10
    Kangaroo Steelers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sunshine Coast
    Posts
    6,718

    Default

    It is good to see that the NRL has registered his contract. As far as I am concerned the mandatory 2 year ban for recreational drug use is way too harsh, so it was fortunate that it didn't apply for Mitchell

  11. #11
    Junior Titan J-Storm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Most Beautiful City In The World...Melbourne!!!
    Posts
    393

    Default

    I am over the moon for the guy. I don't think what happened was anything worse than some of us who may have had a bad year in some way and tried to release tension one night (not that I condone/recommend what he did). Mitchell seems the kind of guy who is remorseful for what happened and wants to make up for it going by what they showed, so all the best to the guy for his future in Newcastle


    "Remember in this game we call 'Life' that no one said it's fair!" - W.Axl Rose

  12. #12
    Junior Titan BigRed10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bradford, England
    Posts
    119

    Default

    Didn't Andrew Walker get a two year ban from both codes for doing the same as Sargent, yet Sargent only gets a Two match ban?
    That's poor judging a player who causes a dangerous throw would come up with the same.
    Brad Meyers #1 supporter

  13. #13

    Default

    i look forward to next cowboys knights game.
    tronc against sargent

  14. #14
    Titan First Grade Regular Eel 33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Parramatta
    Posts
    1,769

    Default

    Will be a titanic clash Cowboy_Titan (pardon the pun.) Im sure he'll be a great asset for the Knights.


    Thanx to Steelers for the handywork!!!

  15. #15

    Default

    lol i liked the titanic clash bit.

    he was a great asset for cows but yeh the knights have a great forward in sargent.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

ABOUT US

    Established in 2005 as the Gold Coast Titans official Chat Forum, we are now known as the League of Titans Independent Website. A place for fans of the Gold Coast Titans to come and touch base with other diehard fans.

QUICK LINKS

FOLLOW US ON

League of Titans designed and cutomised by Matt Glew