Default NRL: Roosters headhunting Bennett?

NRL: Roosters headhunting Bennett?

Stranger things have happened - though I couldn't picture this coming to fruition. Let's keep in mind who is reporting the piece

From the Daily Telegraph

Bondi Benny

By James Hooper

September 07, 2006 12:00

THE Sydney Roosters have secretly targeted Brisbane's five-time premier coach Wayne Bennett as the man to take over from sacked coach Ricky Stuart.

When The Daily Telegraph last night contacted Roosters supremo Nick Politis overseas about the development, the phone call was mysteriously cut the moment Bennett's name was mentioned.

Five minutes later the club's marketing and media general manager Richard Fisk rang on behalf of Politis to question why Bennett's name was being linked to the club.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal the Broncos coach is the man the Roosters want to resurrect the ailing Bondi Junction club in their historic 100th season.

Bennett is contracted to the Broncos until the end of 2009 but the Roosters are understood to have a three-year, $2.4 million deal waiting for him, starting next season.

Contacted about the secret approach last night, Bennett said: "Earlier this year I was supposed to be going to Canberra. Right now it's pure speculation. I'm not going to comment on speculation.

"I've got a contract until 2009. But if I ever think it's time to go, I can go.

"And if Bruno Cullen ever thinks it's time I go, he can cut me."

Pressed on the issue of Bennett quitting the Broncos to join the 2002 premiers, Roosters chief executive Brian Canavan said: "At this time the club cannot confirm or deny any information or the names of any applicants for the coaching job."

For Bennett to join the Roosters, the former Kangaroos and Queensland Origin coach would need to terminate his 19-year reign at the helm of the Broncos, where he has won five premierships.

Having previously operated on handshake deals with the Broncos, Bennett inked a four-year deal until the end of 2009 last season.

Politis and Canavan last week formed a sub-committee to appoint a new coach.

The Daily Telegraph understands Bennett's name has only been mentioned inside the Sydney Roosters' inner circle as the man the club wants as coach next season.

Ironically, if Bennett does take the role he will replace the coach with whom he was involved in a heated public slanging match last January.

Bennett and sacked coach Ricky Stuart traded barbs after the Broncos mentor resigned as Kangaroos coach and Stuart replaced him.

St Helens coach Daniel Anderson was named publicly as the favourite for the Roosters job when Stuart was sacked last week, with Chris Anderson and Adrian Lam also linked to the job.

Matt Elliott, the man who took Canberra from potential wooden spooners to NRL finalists, has endorsed former St George fullback Mick Potter as a suitable coach for the Roosters.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeGan
    NRL: Roosters headhunting Bennett?

Stranger things have happened - though I couldn't picture this coming to fruition. Let's keep in mind who is reporting the piece
    I agree DeeGan...stranger things have happened, but TBH... I don't see this happening, and I suggest the Telegraph is having a slow news day again... he might be chased, but he won't leave Brisbane, he has too much going for him there...

Titans Rep Player [BroncosGirl]'s Avatar

WB wont leave Brisbane, I dont think he ever will!
    Brisbane Broncos
    Oooooh Yeh, Yow Yeh!!!
    titans.bulldogs

everybody dances to their own boom boom

Politis is shrewd but will wayne leave brisbane i say no but weird things happen

Titans Captain Hoppy2007Dragons's Avatar

:ok: :roll:

thats all i need to sy i think.

Junior Titan

he won't leave his beloved broncos
    "Go the Titans"

:rotflmao: Bennett will be the coach of the Broncos until 2030... plain and simple

Source: www.foxsports.com.au

A REPORT that Sydney Roosters has targeted Wayne Bennett to be its new head coach was met with laughter and surprise by Bennett's the Brisbane NRL club today.

Broncos managing director Bruno Cullen doubted there was any substance to a Daily Telegraph story claiming foundation Broncos coach Bennett was being sized up by the Roosters to take over next season as Ricky Stuart's replacement.

Cullen believed Bennett, who was enjoying a day off on his Warwick farm, would have no interest in the job as he's approaching his 20th year with Brisbane.

He listed a string of reasons the Broncos were confident Bennett would see out his current four-year contract which ends in 2009.

"His longevity, his love of the place, his desire to make the Broncos successful again, to celebrate 20 years as a coach here next year, the list goes on," Cullen said.

The Telegraph report claimed the Roosters have a three-year, $2.4 million deal waiting for the highly successful former Australia mentor.

"It really sounds to me as though this one (report) is out of thin air," Cullen said.

"It's not a bad back page fish and chip wrapper tomorrow."

Why Bennett's bound for Roosters
    Brad Walter
    September 8, 2006

THE coaching merry-go-round that has dominated headlines in the NRL this season is set for its most head-spinning turn yet, with Brisbane mentor Wayne Bennett set to take charge of the Sydney Roosters.

Roosters officials yesterday refused to comment on their stunning bid for Bennett and Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen laughed off speculation the five-times premiership-winning coach would quit the club after 19 seasons.

But the Herald has learnt that not only have the Roosters approached 56-year-old Bennett, they also believe he will coach them for the next three seasons, possibly until Brad Fittler is ready for the job. The only hitch is the whole deal being jeopardised by the news leaking out.

Should the deal come to fruition, however, it will set off another domino effect similar to the one started earlier this year by Parramatta's decision to target Newcastle coach Michael Hagan as Brian Smith's successor in 2007.

The Eels landed Hagan and Smith ended up at Newcastle after the Knights missed out on Matthew Elliott when Penrith swooped for the highly rated Canberra mentor - leaving John Lang as the man without a seat in the game of musical chairs. Now Test coach Ricky Stuart is on the loose and his sacking by the Roosters has upped the pressure on Cronulla's Stuart Raper, while Bennett's departure from the Broncos would spark massive speculation over the identity of his replacement.

Melbourne's Craig Bellamy would be the obvious choice after being groomed for five years to eventually succeed Bennett before being lured in 2003 to the Storm, where he has earned himself the ranking of the game's No.1 coach after steering the club to the minor premiership.

Lang, who started his coaching career at Brisbane Easts in 1981 and is considering moving to the Gold Coast, would be another possible option - as would Stuart.

Few people contacted yesterday believed Bennett would be prepared to move to Sydney but the Herald can reveal the Brisbane mentor was almost tempted to take on the Roosters job before Stuart was appointed as a rookie coach in 2002.

Despite Stuart leading the club to premiership glory in his debut season and making the next two grand finals, it is understood Roosters supremo Nick Politis believes an experienced coach in the mould of Bennett is needed to turn things around after two successive years near the bottom of the table.

A brief flirtation with former Warriors coach Daniel Anderson, now in charge of Super League leaders and Challenge Cup champions St Helens, is over and it is believed Bennett was approached before Stuart's sacking last Monday.

It is believed high-profile Roosters supporters have contributed to a fund to entice Bennett to the club on a three-year, $2.4-million deal, although it is doubtful the teetotalling former policeman would be motivated by money.

Bennett's book is titled Don't Die With The Music In You and it is believed he may not want to end his career without accepting the challenge of coaching at another club - particularly the Roosters.

A critic of the binge-drinking culture in league, as well as in society as a whole, Bennett publicly suggested the Roosters had problems with off-field discipline during a slanging match with Stuart after he stepped down from the Australian job earlier this year. He may well see that as another challenge.

Bennett was reportedly at his farm in Warwick on a day off yesterday but Cullen spoke to him and cast doubt over whether he would be prepared to uproot his family, which includes two handicapped children.

"You never say never but if you sat down and thought about it the odds of it happening are thousands," Cullen said.

"I'm not saying that someone at the Roosters on a committee or somewhere hasn't suggested that they should approach him but certainly from this end there is nothing to report.

"It's funny how five or six weeks ago people were calling for his head and saying that he couldn't coach anymore, now there's supposed to be offers for him and he would be a good coach for any club.

"But just from what I know about what he's doing around here and what he's planning with his wife and family for their future - up on the farm and building houses and that - you would almost think it was impossible for him to extract himself out of the situation he is in but as I said you never know."

Meanwhile, former Parramatta and Warriors coach John Monie will play a significant role in the review at Cronulla that is expected to lead to Raper being sacked.

Monie is a consultant for the Mercury Group, an independent company that has been selected by the Sharks to oversee the review of the club's operations, a procedure that will begin on Monday.

However, chief executive Greg Pierce insisted: "This is by no means a personal witch hunt".
    Source: smh
    Last edited by grimmace; 08-09-06 at 08:41 AM.

This story is getting interesting and gaining momentum. I had this at 1000-1 to come true - I am glad I didn't take any bets Interesting to note Bennett stated in his book that before he retires he wants to take up the challenge with another NRL club ...

With no comment from Bennett - which is unusual - is there a possible coach swap between Brisbane and Sydney on the cards? Now that would make for great viewing and reading!

IT is interesting but is bennet the answer for the roosters and when phil gould is still at the roosters it will sure does make life certainly interesting but which club would gain the most benefit out of it if they swapped you would think the broncos would come out on top

:eek: Noooooooooo. I hope this is just speculation :ok: Wayne Bennett won't leave the Broncos..:win: