Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Matt Rogers and the Titans

Rogers ponders a return to 13-man code
    Planet Rugby
    Sunday September 03 2006
    'I'm a footballer...not a Rugby Union player'
    Australia star Mat Rogers admits he would seriously consider a return to Rugby League after next year's Rugby World Cup in France.

The dual international made headlines when he switched codes in 2002, leaving the Cronulla Sharks for the Waratahs.

But the 30-year-old revealed to Australia's Sunday Telegraph that he would contemplate moving back to the Sharks, or possibly a stint with the new Gold Coast franchise, the Titans.

"I'd be stupid not to consider it. I'm a footballer...not a Rugby Union player," he told the newspaper.

"The Sharks have always said they would welcome me back if I wanted a swan song. I also have family on the Gold Coast, so you never say never.

"After the World Cup, I reckon I could play a couple more years. At the moment, I'm pretty happy in rugby [union]."

Rogers remained in Sydney with a knee injury as Australia jetted to South Africa for the final Tri-Nations clash against the Springboks next weekend.

Rogers will spend up to five weeks on the sidelines after undergoing surgery on Thursday, but the versatile back has rejected claims he is an injury liability for Australia ahead of the team's upcoming tour of Europe and ultimately, the World Cup next year.

"I don't think I have got a major drama with injuries," he said.

"I've had a few niggling injuries in the last couple of years. I hurt my groin last year and missed four weeks, and I did my cartilage and missed another three weeks.

"With this injury I'll miss one game. I have actually been very happy with the last couple of years."

Australia coach John Connolly has opted to use Rogers as an impact player off the bench this season and the frustration of not being able to secure a starting position is starting to show.

"I enjoy having an impact off the bench but obviously every player likes to start," Rogers added.

"It does frustrate me at times, but it's a team game. You can't be selfish about it."

I think rogers is still a great player but i woory with the injuries he has had an he wouldnt come cheap

I would never shoot down any attempt to look at signing a player with the talent of a Matt Rogers. He has been a little injury prone since moving to the "other" code though he is world class in every sense of the word.

An exciting developement - I will keep an eye on this story.

Titan First Grade Regular

Matt Rodgers to the Titans, i can live with that.

Titans Star Player Steve Dangerous's Avatar

He went to school in southport.

Would look good on the wing ;-)

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

Titans Captain Hoppy2007Dragons's Avatar

would be good to see him back at rugby league.

He'd still be in Cronulla if they gave him a shot at 5/8!

Either way it'd be great to see him back at League. Him and Tuqiri.

I kind of saw this coming. The Sharks first game this season Matt handed out the jerseys with his old man's name on them to the players and made a comment to the effect that he wanted to throw one on and get out there, to which the fellas from the board grinned and said anytime Matt.

awesome if him and lote return.

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Dangerous
    He went to school in southport.
    yeah he came back recently
    "Go the Titans"

QLD Cup Titan

Great player but in view of age & injuries I belive Titans would be best to pass on him.

Would be a great buy for the titans. I reckon the injuries are worse in union.

Titan First Grade Regular Eel 33's Avatar

The Sharks would have first dibs on him. IMO he'd look out of place in another teams jumper.

Thanx to Steelers for the handywork!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eel 33
    The Sharks would have first dibs on him. IMO he'd look out of place in another teams jumper.
    Agreed though being back at the club his father (and Matt) had so much success would be a tough way to finish a career. I am sure he would be most welcomed though something would be missing for him heading back to the Sharks IMO.

I tend to agree, Rogers in another team jersey would look out of place though I thought the same (and still do) about Steve Price and Ruben Wiki.

I guess it is something we will become more and more familiar with as we move forward as a professional code where money talks first.

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by DeeGan
    Agreed though being back at the club his father (and Matt) had so much success would be a tough way to finish a career. I am sure he would be most welcomed though something would be missing for him heading back to the Sharks IMO.

I tend to agree, Rogers in another team jersey would look out of place though I thought the same (and still do) about Steve Price and Ruben Wiki.

I guess it is something we will become more and more familiar with as we move forward as a professional code where money talks first.
    Yeah and it hasn't recked steve prices career but if you look back at 2004 he was captain of the year now he doesn't have any awards
    "Go the Titans"

I'm not too fussed on Rogers. Love for him to quit Union just not to any of my clubs.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER