NRL 2006; First qualifying final

NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS v MANLY SEA EAGLES
    Friday September 8th, EnergyAustralia Stadium, 8pm

Referee: Sean Hampstead
    Team Notes:

Knights (4th Place):

Form: LWLLWWWLWW

Had the bye in Round 26

Andrew Johns returns from 3 weeks off (2 weeks suspension, 1 week the bye)

The Knights have managed to win seven of the last ten encounters and were unlucky not to win the last as well. They usually have the wood on Manly, even though the teams split the honours this year. Newcastle won the round 17 fixture 26-12, while the Sea Eagles got up 16-14 in round 23.

Knights coach Michael Hagan had some tough decisions to make but with the return of Andrew Johns, found himself dropping Jarrod Mullen to the bench while retaining Kurt Gidley at five eighth.

Daniel Abraham and Todd Lowrie have been named as 18 and 19 and are likely to miss out and could be considered unlucky.

Sea Eagles (5th Place):

Form: LLWWWLWWWL

Manly were defeated 30-20 by the Storm at Olympic Park to leave the Sea Eagles' hopes of a home NRL final still hanging.

Manly needed to beat Storm to secure a top four position and a home final.

Sea Eagles defeated the Knights 16-14 in round 23

Manly received a welcome break with hooker Shane Dunley likely to play in Friday's first NRL qualifying final against Newcastle despite being charged with a dangerous throw.

KNIGHTS

Milton Thaiday,
    Brian Carney,
    Matthew Gidley,
    George Carmont,
    Anthony Quinn,
    Kurt Gidley,
    Andrew Johns (c),
    Josh Perry,
    Danny Buderus,
    Adam Woolnough,
    Steve Simpson,
    Clint Newton,
    Reegan Tanner.

Interchange:

Luke Davico,
    Craig Smith,
    Jarrod Mullen,
    Kirk Reynoldson,
    Daniel Abraham,
    Todd Lowrie,
    David Seage (three to be omitted)

SEA EAGLES

Brett Stewart,
    Michael Robertson,
    Steve Bell,
    Steve Matai,
    Chris Hicks,
    Travis Burns,
    Matt Orford,
    Jason King,
    Michael Monaghan,
    Brent Kite,
    Steve Menzies,
    Anthony Watmough,
    Ben Kennedy (c).

Interchange:

Shayne Dunley,
    Luke Williamson,
    Kylie Leuluai,
    Mark Bryant,
    George Rose (one to be omitted)

***Please use this thread for game day spoilers and information***

newcastle have done really well without johns but now they got him back they should still win.
    tough one but i think newcastle by 2

I dont think the Knights will win this one............ the Knights havent exactly had tough games the past couple of weeks where Manly have im tipping manly by 6

Matt Orford will step up and lead Manly to a good victory here IMO.

Simpson handed Knights captaincy duties
    Monday, September 4, 2006 - 11:45 AM

Andrew Johns says Test backrower Steve Simpson will handle some of Newcastle's captaincy duties in Friday's NRL qualifying final with Manly at EnergyAustralia Stadium.

Johns, who has skippered the Knights all season when on the field, will be playing his first game in three weeks after receiving a two-match ban for verbally abusing a touch judge during Newcastle's narrow lost to Manly in round 23.

At the launch of the NRL finals series at Aussie Stadium, Johns revealed he approached coach Michael Hagan about taking some of the leadership burden off his shoulders and he said Simpson would be the player who would speak to the referee during the game.

"We're going to share the captaincy around this week, and Steve Simpson's going to do most of the on-field captaincy," said Johns.

"It's just about spreading the leadership and getting the pressure off me.

"So if any questions are going to be asked to the referee, I think Steve Simpson is going to be going up.

"My record with the toss isn't too good this year so Steve will do the toss as well.

"I went to the coach and put it to him, I just think it spreads the pressure out a little bit more.

"I suppose a lot pressure would have been on me coming back this week and how I approach things.

"We've got a lot of leaders in the team. We've got Danny Buderus who's captained his state and Matt Gidley is also a leader in his own right, so it just spreads it out and helps everyone out."

Source: AAP
    Jezz if i didnt know any better this is a ploy to stop joey baggin the refs out so he wont get into trouble for it

Knights Vs Sea Eagles Finals Preview
    Monday, September 4, 2006 - 3:36 PM

This fixture is always close as shown by the extremely competitive and fiery game at EnergyAustralia just a few weeks ago, but the Knights have better form this time and they will be looking to put on a clinic for their fans. Joey Johns will want to win this badly after being on the wrong end of the scoreboard last time, and after having served a two weeks suspension the Knights captain will be ready to go.

The Knights will be fresh after the bye at the weekend while the Sea Eagles will just be happy Greg Inglis is not lining up against them again. This game will be a hard slog up the middle and as such the role of the forwards will be important as will the kicking games of Johns and Orford, so they need to be pressured by defenders.

Expect this to be a tight game which will open up late as the big forwards tire and then Danny Buderus and Michael Monaghan will play a huge role each running out of dummy half and splitting the defence.

The return of Ben Kennedy to the Sea Eagles line up will give them plenty of extra go forward and starch in a game where they will definitely need it. Kennedy will get to play what could potentially be his final game at his old home ground and expects the crowd to be very vocal, ?there will be 25 000 screaming novocastrians. It was the same four weeks ago?.

Key Match Ups:

Josh Perry v Brent Kite

Kite is a proven star while Perry has always been the prop forward who can be a star. When he is good Perry is devastating, but when he is not he has a tendancy to make errors. If the real Josh Perry shows up then the Knights will really have a chance of dominating the game.

Andrew Johns v Matt Orford

Both players want the ball whenever they can get it, and they do get a lot of it, so it will come down to who has the better game. While Joey has not been at his best this year, Orford has been brilliant, but big games bring out the best in Johns and it is in these games that he shows why he is a legendary player. Both have an array of passes and kicks that can confound the opposition but it may be Johns? spiral bomb that is the key factor especially if Brett Stewart feels the pressure.

Form:

Knights LWLLWWWLWW

Sea Eagles LLWWWLWWWL

Head to Head: The Knights have managed to win seven of the last ten encounters and were unlucky not to win the last as well. They usually have the wood on Manly, even though the teams split the honours this year. Newcastle won the round 17 fixture 26-12, while the Sea Eagles got up 16-14 in round 23.

Best Bet: The Knights are at home with Andrew Johns, but it will not be easy for them so either back the home team by 1-12 or take the flying Brett Stewart to score the first or last try of the game. He is a freak.

Source: NRL

Titans Captain Hoppy2007Dragons's Avatar

Manly should win this game, if Ben Kennedy comes back, he and orford will lead their troops to victory, manly played very well against storm and are coming into this game with form and consitency, where as newcastle come off the bye and their halfback hasn't played for 2 weeks.

Manly by 8.

Johns and Kennedy ready for rumble
    Monday, September 4, 2006 - 7:02 PM

There was plenty of banter between Andrew Johns and Ben Kennedy at the Captain's Call, but it will be all business when the opposing captains square off in Friday's NRL qualifying final between Newcastle and Manly.

Kennedy, who declared himself a certain starter after overcoming a quadriceps injury, caught up with former teammate Johns in between media commitments at the finals promotion at Aussie Stadium.

Both acknowledged the pleasantries would end when the teams clash in a sold-out EnergyAustralia Stadium in four days' time.

"It's never real fun, look at the size of him," Johns told AAP when asked about playing against Kennedy.

"It's probably a nice way for BK to play his last year, in front of Newcastle people.

"They love BK up there and I'm sure he'll enjoy it and have a big game."

Kennedy said he was more concerned about the Sea Eagles fulfilling their potential than the fact his career was winding down.

"I don't think (the friendship) changes anything, it's a bit of a laugh off the field and business on the field," he said.

"I know everyone goes out to shut Andrew Johns down but quite frankly I don't think you can.

"It just makes the coaches happy, that they've said to shut Joey down.

"He's just too good and hopefully he's slightly off his game on the weekend."

Asked would he hesitate putting a big shot on the Newcastle skipper, Kennedy said: "No, not at all, and likewise.

"He's not the best to run straight at either, he can pick you up and dump you on the head."

Kennedy, who confirmed this year would definitely be his last, said last month's 16-14 away win over the Knights was a massive confidence booster.

"I think that was probably the turning point in our season for our younger players," he said.

"I've always said I believe they can do it, but to go up there in front of 25,000 people in such an important game, it was such a massive game at that time.

"For us to win that game I felt the younger players grew a little bit extra and really started to believe they could do something.

"And we've played some terrific football after that.

"I think we're heading into the finals looking alright."

The 32-year-old said there would be plenty of time to reflect on his career after the finals series.

"It's really not a factor for me, at the moment I really don't care," he said.

"I just want to go as far as we can and see what happens.

"Certainly after the last game it's going to be emotional then, no doubt about it.

"It's been a dream come true and something I love doing."

Johns, playing in his first finals series for five years, said the availability of Kennedy would lift the Sea Eagles 10 per cent.

"We know what Ben's going to do on Friday night," he said.

"He's going to improve (them) probably 10 per cent ... which is pretty scary when you see their performance against Melbourne on the weekend.

"It's a great way for Ben to finish his career ... I'm sure he'll have a big one."

Source: AAP

Manly Sea Eagles Side CONFIRMED:

1. Brett Stewart
    2. Michael Robertson
    3. Steve Bell
    4. Steve Menzies
    5. Chris Hicks
    6. Travis Burns
    7. Matt Orford
    8. Jason King
    9. Michael Monaghan
    10. Brent Kite
    11. Steve Menzies
    12. Anthony Watmough
    13. Ben Kennedy (c)

Interchange:

14. Shayne Dunley
    15. Luke Williamson
    16. Kylie Leuluai
    17. Mark Bryant
    18. George Rose
    (1 player to be omitted)

The Sea Eagles welcome back inspirational Captain Ben Kennedy to the starting line-up for this Friday Night's Qualifying Final in Newcastle. Luke Williamson goes to the interchange bench joining Dunley, Leuluai, Bryant and Rose. Coach Des Hasler will trim the bench to four prior to kick off.

Newcastle Knights Side CONFIRMED:

Knights At Full Strength
    Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - Newcastle Knights

Newcastle Knights coach, Michael Hagan has named a 20 man squad to take on the Manly Sea Eagles at EnergyAustralia Stadium this Friday night, for the opening game of the NRL Finals Series.

Dynamic Fullback, Milton Thaiday has recovered from an ankle injury and will join the run on side after passing a fitness test this morning, while Kurt Gidley will start at Five-Eighth.

?There were some tough selection decisions to make but we have put together our strongest team so far this season,? said Knights Coach, Michael Hagan.

?It?s disappointing for Daniel Abraham and Todd Lowrie, they have every reason to feel unlucky but they?ll play an important role in the coming weeks.?

Also returning from injury, Kirk Reynoldson will join the Interchange line up with teenage playmaker, Jarrod Mullen and veteran front rowers, Luke Davico and Craig Smith.

Meanwhile, the Knights ? Sea Eagles clash has captured the imagination of Rugby League supporters with tickets for Friday night?s semi final selling at a rapid pace.

Ticket sales opened to the general public today with more long queues of supporters camping at the ground overnight to guarantee their seats.

?We?re urging fans to get in as soon as possible to secure their tickets because the demand has been overwhelming,? said Newcastle Knights CEO, Ken Conway.

Gates open at 4.00pm on Friday afternoon with the Arrive Alive Cup between Endeavour High and Patrician Brothers High starting at 4.30pm.

After sealing the Minor Premiership last week, the Pepsi Knights Jersey Flegg squad continues its Premiership Campaign against the Canberra Raiders at 6.00pm.

The main game between the Knights and the Sea Eagles kicks off at 8.00pm.
    N.B. *Actual side Not Available as Knights did not post up*
    Last edited by Titanium_BD1103; 05-09-06 at 05:15 PM.

Thaiday's pain is Seage's gain
    Email Print Normal font Large font September 7, 2006

MILTON Thaiday is out of Newcastle's qualifying final against Manly at EnergyAustralia Stadium tomorrow night, giving David Seage another chance at fullback.

Thaiday said he would have needed pain-killing needles in both his ankles and did not want to risk further damage or let his teammates down.

"I'm no good. As soon as I took my strapping off after training [on Tuesday], both my ankles felt sore so I'm giving them another week," Thaiday said last night. "I sat down and had a yarn with Hages [coach Michael Hagan] today. I didn't want to let down any of the team because I'm not at 100 per cent, and I didn't want to do any more damage."

Hagan named Seage on a seven-man bench on Tuesday as insurance for Thaiday, who missed eight games with torn ligaments in his left ankle mid-season, then stirred up an old injury in his right ankle last month.

Seage said last night: "Getting the chance to play in a semi-final at home, it doesn't get much better than that."

Brett Keeble
    Soruce: smh

Titans Captain Hoppy2007Dragons's Avatar

Thats a big blow to the knights, hopefully he'll be right next week.

The Most Beautiful City In The World...Melbourne!!!

Apart from the Storm/Eels game, this is the game I'm most interested in. Basically 'cos I am hoping that the Knights can redeem what happened at Energy Australia a few weeks ago and knock the wind out of the Eagle's sails (knocking them out of the Finals would be even sweeter, lol)...

Knights by 8

"Remember in this game we call 'Life' that no one said it's fair!" - W.Axl Rose

Manly are up 6-0
    Brad Meyers #1 supporter

Ok time for an update great game of footy this
    Half time:
    Knights 0
    Sea Eagles 12
    Notes: David Seage is out injured Kurt Gidley is now playing fullback and Jarrad Mullen is playing 5/8th

Been a good game...

Shame for Seage, he doesn't deserve that, another knee construction, his 8th knee injury in his career, its just not the thing that should occur, poor bloke..

Great game, Manly have improved their goal line defensive dramatically this week, its amazing how Newcastle have scored, there have been 6 plays in the Newcastle 20, 39 or something like that in the Manly 20... Manly have got the 12-0 score line on defense...

Interesting to see though Hampsteads reffing, good job so far, however Manly should have had a player sinbinned twice so far, one for holding the player back on the last tackle, the other Brett Stewart for not rolling away at the play the ball

But yes Well done to Manly they are working hard, great game and should be a great second half...