Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Lang and Campbell to say their goodbyes
    Saturday, September 2, 2006 - 2:31 PM

The curtain comes down on one of the most successful periods in Penrith Panthers history on Sunday with coach John Lang and popular pivot Preston Campbell bidding farewell to the fans who only a matter of seasons ago helped them celebrate a NRL premiership triumph.

While 2006 won't go down as one of the more memorable ones at the foot of the mountains, Lang said there will still be plenty to celebrate at CUA Stadium when the Panthers host competition high flyers the Bulldogs.

"We'd love to be battling it out for a finals spot but it's not to be," Lang said.

"We just want to play well and obviously if you can win that's a bonus.

"There's a few of the boys leaving, there's always a few pangs when you leave but it's certainly been a worthwhile experience. We've won a comp, it's been a great time."

While Campbell will link up with the new Gold Coast side next season Lang is expected to take a break from the game.

He said he had no definite plans for next season and was just concentrating on finishing off with a win against the Bulldogs on Sunday.

His cause hasn't been help by the withdrawal of halfback Craig Gower (knee) and Joel Clinton (shoulder). Craig Trindall will come into the side for Gower with Lang still undecided on a replacement for his big front rower.

The Bulldogs head to the foot of the mountains looking for some much needed form before the finals series after going down in their previous two encounters.

Coach Steve Folkes admitted the Bulldogs had struggled to find top form in recent weeks, which he attributed more to the side's lofty position on the ladder than the devastating knee injuries suffered by representative duo Roy Asotasi and Willie Tonga.

"We've obviously known we were going to be in the eight for quite a while and our aim was to finish in the top two," Folkes said.

"We've achieved that and now we just need to work on some things against Penrith this weekend.

"We just want to go out there and play really well and carry some of that into the semis."

While Asotasi is rated some chance of playing again if the Bulldogs can reach the grand final, Folkes said it was important his side concentrated on who was out on the field and not sitting in the grandstands.

"You have to forget about the guys that are injured and obviously rely on the guys that are going to take the field," Folkes said.

"I've got full confidence in the guys I've brought up.

"It's a matter of their teammates trusting them and I'm sure that will happen especially now we've had a couple of games to do that."

Source: AAP

Joel Clinton is out replaced by Matthew Bell....

Sep 02 - Joel Clinton is out of tomorrow's Penrith team because of an injured shoulder.

He'll be replaced by Matthew Bell.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Lockyer
    I can't see them holidaying in bali after the shocking season they have had. I woldn't give them any payu the way they have played
    haha, i'd not pay them either, but perform or not, they get paid.
    i wish my job was like that.

I reakon bulldogs will win. But i dont realy care about it so.....

I think that the Dogs will win.... but i hope the Panthers do because it's there last game of the year and they are losing the coach next season, and i hope that the Bulldogs go into the finals with 3 losses so they arent very confident and get knocked out because they are a strong competitive side.... Go the Panthers
    [IMG][/QUOTE][/IMG]

woooo dogs won 30-22 making me 7 out of 7 first time ever

Junior Titan

panthers were unlucky.
    "Go the Titans"

Penrith coach Lang signs off with a loss
    September 3, 2006 - 5:02PM

Bulldogs 30 Panthers 22

The Bulldogs have spoiled Penrith coach John Lang's farewell, snapping a two-game losing streak with a 30-22 victory at CUA Stadium.

Both sides scored five tries apiece, but the difference was the boot of Bulldogs sharpshooter Hazem El Masri, who potted five goals from as many attempts in blustery conditions.

For Lang, who coached the Panthers to the 2003 title, it was the 323rd and possibly last match in a distinguished coaching career which also included a four-year stint with Cronulla.

The former Kangaroos hooker, named the Dally M coach of the year in 1995 and 1999, is without a job next season and is yet to confirm whether he'll again take on the clipboard in the future.

The Bulldogs paid a heavy price for sending the opening kick-off out on the full, with Tony Puletua crossing the tryline in just the second minute.

The Panthers captain crashed over after some quick hands from fellow forwards Frank Pritchard and Luke Priddis.

The Bulldogs responded with a converted try seven minutes later to former Parramatta forward Chris Armit, who crashed through three tackles on a bullocking 10-metre charge to the line.

The Panthers scored back-to-back tries - Gordon pounced on a Rhys Wesser grubber for the first and then utility Paul Aiton finished off a superb team effort - to give the home side a 12-6 advantage.

But Bulldogs fullback Luke Patten scored a soft try at the half-hour mark, with Hasem El Masri's boot levelling the scores, where they remained until the halftime break.

Patten crossed for another soft try just after the break, but it was cancelled out by an absolute gem from Rhys Wesser. The Panthers custodian finished off a long-range movement to score his 102nd try, breaking the club record jointly held by Greg Alexander and Ryan Girdler.

Former Test backrower Trent Waterhouse's four-pointer momentarily gave the Panthers the lead, but tries to Matt Utai and then Dallas McIlwain handed the advantage back to the visitors.

The second try was a contentious one, with referee Tony Archer seemingly missing an offside play from the Bulldogs moments earlier which would have given the Panthers a shot at goal to level the scores.

BULLDOGS 30 (L Patten 2 C Armit D McIlwain M Utai tries H El Masri 5 goals) bt PENRITH 22 (P Campbell M Gordon T Puletua T Waterhouse R Wesser tries M Gordon goal) at CUA Stadium. Referee: T Archer. Crowd: 13,363.

AAP

hazem kicked brilliantly like he always does.