Default Barnes coming to titans

By Bernie Pramberg
    August 24, 2006 12:00am
    Courier Mail

STRONG-running Tweed Heads winger Nathanael Barnes is on target for a contract with the Gold Coast Titans.

Barnes, 23, led a field of slick finishers in the Queensland Wizard Cup to be leading tryscorer.
    Although he did not score in last weekend's dramatic 26-20 comeback victory over Wynnum-Manly, his 22 tries for the season topped the table.

"I've had a talk with the Titans and hope to be there next year," he said.

"Nothing has been signed yet but I definitely want to play at that level. I want to keep improving and going forward."

Barnes has played all his club football with Seagulls, except for one year with Tugun in under-16s.

"I played footy at Palm Beach Currumbin High School where I also did athletics," he said. "But I was a bit of a late starter in club football."

At 180cm and 92kg, Barnes has the ideal build for a winger in the modern game and continually works on his fitness and speed with former Parramatta and Wests trainer Fred Turner.

"Fred has been a big help and gives me plenty of feedback," he said.

A student at Kingscliff TAFE, Barnes, also a handy goalkicker, has been an integral member of an under-rated Seagulls team that has played attractive football under coach Steve Murphy.

"The key is that we all enjoy our footy. There's no names, no egos, just a really good bunch of blokes," Barnes said.

The players are keen to send coach Murphy out on a high note as he will also join the Titans in 2007 as an assistant coach.

Murphy has named an unchanged squad for Saturday's elimination final against Easts Tigers at Piggabeen.

For Sunday's qualifying final between North Queensland and Redcliffe in Townsville, NQ will have halfback Brent McConnell returning from NRL duty.

McConnell, a dual Queensland Cup premiership winner, pushes 18-year-old Brady Payne to a five-man bench.

Redcliffe has turned back the clock 10 years by naming forward Mark Shipway in the centres.

Shipway, who played centre for the Dolphins in the 1996 State League final, will be used in the three-quarters with Nick Emmett injured and Kaine Manihera suspended.

There has been talk on the forum before about this bloke maybe a good pickup sounds really good anyone see him in the Q cup

Junior Titan

he would be a good guy to get, still young with plenty of footy playin and is a good kicker
    Queenslander at Heart :win: :win:

Melbourne for Premiers 2006
    2007 Titan/Storm fan

Titans Captain Hoppy2007Dragons's Avatar

Promising Young Talent

Titan First Grade Regular Eel 33's Avatar

He's the tye of junior that needs to force his way into the first grade team. I think shavenjas would agree with me in saying that Matt Petersen will have his work cut out for him with Barnes on his tail.

Thanx to Steelers for the handywork!!!

Nathan is one of the players I want signed by the Titans most. He'd probably be my up there in my favorite player stakes.

I love wingers in rugby league and I love the style of him.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Nathan is a very good prospect for the club - a QLD Cup based player we should be taking a punt on. I have seen him in action quite a few times and he would be up for the NRL I have no doubt.