Default RD 25: Knights vs Panthers

Newcastle Knights vs Penrith Panthers
    EnergyAustralia Stadium, Saturday 26th August, 7.30pm

Referee: Steve Clark

Team Notes:

Knights

The Knights have lost only once in their past five matches

The Knights will farewell centre Matt Gidley, injured prop Craig Smith and coach Michael Hagan following the game against the Panthers at Energy Australia stadium

Panthers

The Panthers have been wildly inconsistent; their fluctuating contest with the Sharks last weekend typifying their season.

Newcastle have had it over the Panthers for years. In 19 clashes since 1992, Penrith have won only four times. At EnergyAustralia Stadium, the Panthers have won only twice in their past seven visits.

Knights

1. Milton Thaiday
    2. Brian Carney
    3. Matthew Gidley
    4. George Carmont
    5. Anthony Quinn
    6. Kurt Gidley
    7. Jarrod Mullen
    8. Josh Perry
    9. Danny Buderus (c)
    10. Adam Woolnough
    11. Steve Simpson
    12. Clint Newton
    13. Kirk Reynoldson

Interchange:

14. Luke Davico
    15. Reegan Tanner
    16. Todd Lowrie
    17. Riley Brown
    18 Daniel Abraham

Panthers

1 Rhys Wesser
    2 Michael Gordon
    3 Danny Galea
    4 Lee Hookey
    5 Luke Rooney
    6 Preston Campbell
    7 Craig Gower
    8 Joel Clinton
    9 Luke Priddis
    10 Craig Stapleton
    11 Frank Pritchard
    12 Tony Puletua (c)
    13 Trent Waterhouse

Interchange

14 Frank Puletua
    15 Bryan Norrie
    16 Luke Swain
    17 Paul Aiton

***Please use this thread for game day spoilers***

Buderus will be silent Knight
    By Steve Mascord
    August 23, 2006

MEET Newcastle's Danny Buderus - the only captain in the NRL who doesn't have to speak to referees.

As the fallout from Andrew Johns' two-match suspension for abuse of touch judge continues, the Knights last weekend placated the whistle-blowers by overlooking fiery Buderus as skipper.

That was partially a response to referees boss Robert Finch saying after the Johns incident Buderus had a problem with the way he addresses refs.

But when the Knights' side was named last night for the game against Penrith on Saturday night, Buderus had regained the captaincy.

"The fact is that he's our captain for all intents and purposes when Andrew isn't there," coach Michael Hagan said last night.

"He will be our captain when Joey is no longer doing that job.

"But it may work in a similar fashion to last week as far as who actually deals with the referee."

Asked if Steve Simpson and Matt Gidley would be the men to speak to referee Steve Clark at EnergyAustralia Stadium on Saturday, Hagan said: "Yes, that may well be the case."

Hagan said Buderus was working on his rapport with officials and would eventually resume that duty as well - although he could not say when.

"I think Danny benefits from it in that he can concentrate on how he plays and he was tremendous for us last Saturday night," said Hagan.

While Buderus is expected to attend the toss and rev up his players and make decisions on goalkicks on Saturday night, second rower Simpson and centre Gidley will speak to Clark.

It will be Gidley's final home game before joining St Helens next season.

Finch said on August 12 - the day after Johns abused a touch judge: "I'm also very concerned that players who aren't the captain are getting in there and having their say.

"Danny Buderus is one. That seems to be a constant thing for him."

And when Buderus was asked last Saturday night about the reasons for him not being captain in the 19-12 win over North Queensland at Dairy Farmers Stadium, he said: "I had no problems - it's all for the team and the balance of the team.

"I don't have to deal with it and obviously the referees have made it clear that we're serial offenders and whatever.

"We've got to clean up our image."

Hagan said fullback Milton Thaiday (ankle) and reserve Reegan Tanner (niggling injuries) were in doubt.

Penrith will again be without prop Matthew Cross, who is still not ready to return from a knee injury.

Daily Telegraph

Junior Titan

Knights to win this one
    "Go the Titans"

panthers to smash newcastle by 16 plus

I hope the panthers turn up and play 80min, but it hasn't happened yet this year... so who knows. as long as they're not flogged by too much!

The Most Beautiful City In The World...Melbourne!!!

The Panthers played well but got lucky last week I feel. They really should have got crushed by the Sharks but alas...

The Knights will want to win their final home game for the season, have the crowd right behind them, makes them too good to pass on here...

Knights by 8!

"Remember in this game we call 'Life' that no one said it's fair!" - W.Axl Rose

Titans Captain Hoppy2007Dragons's Avatar

Panthers by 6.

I hope the Knights win. Id like to see Matt Gidley win his last home game.

Panthers by 10.

actually i wont write newcastle off like i had been without johns.
    they could grind it out