Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Australia: Test chance for Cronk

Test chance for Cronk
    Josh Massoud
    August 19, 2006 12:00am

IN-FORM Melbourne halfback Cooper Cronk has emerged as a shock leading contender for the vacant Australian No. 7 jersey.

Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart this week named Cronk on a shortlist of three halves in line to take over from Andrew Johns for the October/November Tri Nations series.

Cronk has capped a remarkable 2006 with the Storm to be jockeying for a start with Manly's Matt Orford and injured North Queensland star Johnathan Thurston.

Penrith skipper Craig Gower and Wests Tigers half Scott Prince appear to be the only other chances.

Stuart, however, confirmed Melbourne's irresistible form ? combined with the fact Cronk and Orford are likely to be the only candidates on show in the finals ? has the 22-year-old Brisbane junior at the forefront.

"You have to acknowledge the fact he's in a very important position in a team that's going very well," Stuart said. "He's directed them around the park well. He's a major part of where they are at the moment.

"(Playing finals football) is a huge advantage, that's been proven over the years. Statistically, the majority of the team has been picked from semi-final players. They've got the last standing rights to put their performances on the board."

Stuart rated Cronk and Orford, neither of whom have played State of Origin, "the form halfbacks of the competition".

Ironically, the Storm was expected to struggle this season with Cronk taking the reins from Orford, who switched to Brookvale after five impressive seasons in Melbourne.

Now, despite playing just 54 NRL games, Cronk is eyeballing his predecessor for national honours as Melbourne canters toward the minor premiership.

"It's been an outstanding rise to the level he's at now," Stuart said. "Even his coach Craig Bellamy has come out and said he did not expect him to rise to this level so quickly."

Chairman of selectors Bob McCarthy described Cronk's elevation as "super". "You could have had him during the State of Origin series ? Queensland has got so many good halfbacks," he said.

The Maroons' incumbent Thurston is still in the frame despite being unlikely to play again before the series because of a knee injury.

On Wednesday night, Stuart spoke with Thurston to assure the reigning Dally M medallist he would be given every chance.

"He basically wanted to know if he needed to play a game of football (to be considered)," Stuart said. "I told him it would be stupid to rush back and reinjure the knee.

"I think he's earned te right to be named in the train-on squad and if he's fit and ready then we will make a decision from there."

The Courier Mail

Titan First Grade Regular Eel 33's Avatar

If he steers the Storm to the Premiership, he has to be in the squad. What other half this year can claim to have done so much but not been recognised for his efforts??? Cronk is the man!!!

Thanx to Steelers for the handywork!!!

Cooper Cronk (Laurie Daley's "makeshift halfback" - please stop referring to him as that Loz) is definately a promising prospect for future representative jerseys. Can he be our Australian halfback in 2006? I don't think so.

Australian selectors are a conservative bunch - I take your mind back to the Tri-Nations tour last year where a guy like Skandalis was overlooked in favour of Mason who played like a donkey in 2005 after coming back from injury.

I think Thurston will be the halfback for the first Test - he has proven he up to the task and despite the injury, I think we will roll the dice there. Scott Prince's form has been hot/cold in 2005, as has Gower's form ... it will be a delicate situation and we will be hoping the great Darren Lockyer is fit and firing come the tri-nations.

Others to be considered; Matt Orford (if he can come up big in the finals - still a lingering doubt about his ability to perform in the big games though his game vs Johns last week showed a lot of improvement), Brent Sherwin, Brett Kimmorley (never lets Australia down) and a bolter for mine is Matt Head.

The finals becomes a selection trial in many ways for a couple of positions - may the best man win. Whoever wins the job will not let Australia down.

Junior Titan

As much as i'd love it to be Cronk, the Storm would have to win the premiership for him to even make the squad.

As DeeGan rightly said, the Australian selectors are a conservative bunch who would choose Gower (out of form in a poor side at Penrith) over players like Sherwin, Cronk and Orford - all of whom have been in great form.

Smith, King, Inglis and possibly Hoffman are the only Storm chances for the Australian squad this year.

Many thanks to Super Cronk for the great banner!

Quote Originally Posted by philstorm
    As DeeGan rightly said, the Australian selectors are a conservative bunch who would choose Gower (out of form in a poor side at Penrith) over players like Sherwin, Cronk and Orford - all of whom have been in great form.

Smith, King, Inglis and possibly Hoffman are the only Storm chances for the Australian squad this year.
    Exactly right. The selectors rightly or wrongly protest "he was selected as he has done the job before" each and every year.

As for the Melbourne chances for the tri-nations I hope your right though against, the "conservative" nature of selectors forces me to remain hesitant when it comes to Cameron Smith and Ryan Hoffman.

If Cameron Smith is overlooked I will write a letter of protest to the ARL/NRL. He has earnt his spot in the squad and you could argue he is the best hooker in the game right now. The fact he can fill in a five-eight or half makes him an ideal squad member in place of Craig Wing who is suffering in a struggling Roosters team.

Ryan Hoffman is a guy I love to watch play. I am hoping he is this seasons Ben Creagh when it comes to the tri-nations. He would improve leaps and bounds in elite company. Fingers crossed on his selection.

King and Inglis pick themselves.

Junior Titan

Default Cronk Storm's into calculation.

I found this on Melbourne's homepage.

Source: Daily Telegraph

MELBOURNE halfback Cooper Cronk has emerged as a shock leading contender for the vacant Australian No. 7 jersey, The Saturday Daily Telegraph can reveal. Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart this week named Cronk on a shortlist of three halves in line to take over from Andrew Johns for the October/November Tri Nations series.
    Here's the full story
    Here

The stakes have risen for finals football for a lot of players on the cusp of tri-nations selection ... should make for good viewing

yeh cooper cronk has played well enough.
    he should be considered for origin if thurston isnt chosen

Junior Titan

He is definately a strong contender

Junior Titan

Cronk is playing well, but i dont think they would pick him over experience like gower
    As long as they dont pick finch, i dont care

Titan CEO

I doubt Cronk will get picked at #7 for Australia mainly due to the selectors prolly going for experince.

BUT...if Gower was to get injured or for some reason miss out and Cronk has a great finals series then i think he is definately a chance of playing. If he improves and continues over the years i think we will be seeing him at rep level consistently for his state and country.

My rating in order

Prince is by far the best half back in the NRL (behind Johns of course)
    Kimmorey would be my next choice but is disliked by certain parts of the community
    Cronk has a great game and is an up and comer
    Thurston is a 5/8
    Gower has a great defense and consistant but actually think his style suits the 5/8 role also

Orford has a great running game but not in the above class

Titan CEO

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos
    My rating in order

Kimmorey would be my next choice but is disliked by certain parts of the community
    Thurston is a 5/8
    Gower has a great defense and consistant but actually think his style suits the 5/8 role also

Is that bias there for Prince?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos
    My rating in order

Thurston is a 5/8

thurston is a 5/8 who is also great playing halfback

Scott Prince in 2006 has been disappointing in all but a handful of games for the Tigers - he is not worthy of ranking number two behind Johns in the halfback stakes IMO.