Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Junior Titan

Default Carney leaving too

In the telegraph today there is a small article "stars shun the Titans" which not only talks about the Turner incident (apparently offered 100K more from Melbourne) but also about Carney feeling homesick now and Cartwright could not contact him...WHAT IS HAPPENING????

NOTHING... This is a false story.... well partially

FROM 2KY BIG SPORTS BREAKFAST INTERVIEW WITH CEO MICHAEL SEARLE

- The Titans contacted Carney on Tuesday and discussed this issue.

- It centres around him being homesick because his Dad is not in the country ATM and he misses him or something along those lines.

- His dad is coming to Australia in September, there is no issue and the problems should be resolved then.

- Brian is still 100% towards the Titans in 2007.

As you will learn, the media will turn any rumour into a story, especially if it backs another issue of the day, they do it all the time, being a Bulldogs fan, I'm use to it, and this is another case of it.

Junior Titan

Hope your right dogs, just going off the first paragraph

"Gold Coast had their first day of drama in the NRL yesterday with reports that Knights winger Brian Carney wants out of his Titans contract and Steve Turner denying he had a valid contract to join the club."

Welcome Titans fans to the media world of a 1st grade NRL club, us saints fans know all too well how they stir up a seemingly nothing story into a huge event (Gasnier, Barrett, Creagh sagas) and drag them on...Im hoping this is just the case here.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_Titan
    Hope your right dogs, just going off the first paragraph

"Gold Coast had their first day of drama in the NRL yesterday with reports that Knights winger Brian Carney wants out of his Titans contract and Steve Turner denying he had a valid contract to join the club."

Welcome Titans fans to the media world of a 1st grade NRL club, us saints fans know all too well how they stir up a seemingly nothing story into a huge event (Gasnier, Barrett, Creagh sagas) and drag them on...Im hoping this is just the case here.

See that Paragraph proves it.... LOL and you think you've got it bad, try being my club the Canterbury Bulldogs, we flinch and the media create the world's largest story over it... I might be a part of the media, but I am starting to get very wary when things say reports say, that's like he said, she said, it ain't got any standing at all IMO.. :lol!:

Junior Titan

The Carney story is crap mate. He doesn't want to leave, nor does Dwyer, it's just the media trying to 'look for something' to explain for Turner wanting to stay in Melbourne.

Many thanks to Super Cronk for the great banner!

Carney wants to go home
    By Dean Ritchie with AAP
    August 17, 2006

GOLD Coast had its first day of high drama in the NRL yesterday, with talk that wing Brian Carney wants out of his Titans contract and anger at Steve Turner's decision to spurn the club.

Speculation is mounting that Carney, the Great Britain international playing this season with Newcastle, is homesick and wants a return to England.
    Carney is contracted to play next season with Gold Coast.

Titans coach John Cartwright was yesterday concerned at the rumours.

"There is a rumour going around and I want to ring Brian about them," Cartwright said.

"But he definitely hasn't told anyone about not wanting to be here next season.

"(Titans football manager) Scott Sattler is talking to Brian almost daily about his visa.

"A couple of people have asked me about it but as far as I'm concerned, he's coming here.

"There isn't any doubt at all."

The Titans are privately confused over claims Carney is homesick given his family is spread throughout Britain and not located in one town.

In better news for the Titans, the NRL sided with Gold Coast in a bitter tug-of-war with Melbourne over in-form wing Steve Turner.

The NRL will refuse to register the Storm's contract with Turner, despite the 21-year-old re-signing with the competition leader for another three years.

Titans managing director Michael Searle met NRL chief executive David Gallop in Sydney yesterday to plead his case after the fledgling club trumpeted the recruitment of Turner on a three-year deal on June 19.

But Turner had a change of heart and re-signed with Storm on Tuesday night until the end of 2009.

His decision infuriated Gold Coast officials, who claimed he had broken a "partly written, partly verbal" agreement with the franchise.

Turner admitted yesterday that he had told the Titans he would play for them next season, but he said he had not signed a contract or a pre-contract agreement.

Gallop said the NRL would review the documentation from the Titans, but he was satisfied the club had struck a legally binding agreement with Turner.

"Our preliminary view is that a deal was struck between the player and the Titans," Gallop said.

"We would in that situation support the Titans in securing the player.

"Everyone must accept that a deal is a deal once made and can't be ignored unless both parties agree."

Storm is understood to have offered Turner an extra $100,000 to stay in Melbourne after initially saying it couldn't fit him under the salary cap.

Melbourne - involved in a similar dispute over Parramatta prop Fuifui Moimoi two years ago - said it would fight to to ensure Turner's new contract with the club was declared legal.

Melbourne's position states that clubs have 10 days after a contract is entered into to lodge the paperwork, according to NRL rules, but the Titans had not done so.

Thumbs down

Definately a load, but it makes you wonder what the real reason for the story is, apart from selling newspapers.

If I was the suspicious type I might think it was another effort to discredit and/or disrupt the gathering momentum of the Titans arrival.

My reason for suspicion is the news worthy story of Turner situation was in both GC Bulletin and Brisbane Courier Mail, but the rumour concerning Carney and O'Dwyer was only in the Courier.

I love the statement, 'reports came out of Sydney'. What does that mean exactly? If they had any credibility, they would quote player or management.

Junior Titan

If Carney did want to go due to being homesick, it would be extremely hypocritical of the Titans to not let him go.

After all, Michael Searle always brings up family, coming back home etc as a reason to join the titans, so it should be a valid reason to leave the titans.

(*edit* Derogatory comments about anyone especially officials is strictly forbidden.)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMomma
    After all, that *edit* Michael Searle always brings up family, coming back home etc as a reason to join the titans, so it should be a valid reason to leave the titans.
    Michael Searle is held in very high regard here, so it's not wise to barge in here and insult him in your first post. Besides, Carney is contracted to the club (I'm hoping that the Turner incident was a one-off) so he can't suddenly opt out, homesick or not.
    Last edited by Crushers; 17-08-06 at 02:35 PM.

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Crushers
    Michael Searle is held in very high regard here, so it's not wise to barge in here and insult him in your first post. Besides, Carney is contracted to the club (I'm hoping that the Turner incident was a one-off) so he can't suddenly opt out, homesick or not.
    Well I hold him in little to no regard, So I chose to express my opinion on this forum.

Titan First Grade Regular Eel 33's Avatar

Throw the Eels into the same bulls*** story basket. Hopefully he doesn't, I haven't seen the best of him here yet. That's what the Titans signed him for.

Thanx to Steelers for the handywork!!!

Well I hold him in little to no regard, So I chose to express my opinion on this forum.
    TIp of the day: dont become the next fishermen its not a wise thing to do.
    anywyas welcome to the forums and stuff i think this is just all media specualtion anyways so dont worry about it too much

If Carney did want to go due to being homesick, it would be extremely hypocritical of the Titans to not let him go.

After all, that EDIT Michael Searle always brings up family, coming back home etc as a reason to join the titans, so it should be a valid reason to leave the titans.
    But this is bizness. :curse: ..not a picnic or xmas gathering.....My brother is overseas in the states working and homesick...but gonna do what he's gotta do! How rude are you!!!!????? You dont even KNOW Searle so don't be so silly. Why call him a pig! He and his team have done a GREAT job..Derrrrrrrrrrr!

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

Quote Originally Posted by jenny
    But this is bizness. :curse: ..not a picnic or xmas gathering.....My brother is overseas in the states working and homesick...but gonna do what he's gotta do! How rude are you!!!!????? You dont even KNOW Searle so don't be so silly. Why call him a pig! He and his team have done a GREAT job..Derrrrrrrrrrr!
    ANd there you have it the fishermen has his first bit crickeys anyways MR searle has done a great job and good luck with it in the future ansd joe have you met shav hes a bit of a fisherman too

Quote Originally Posted by grimmace
    ANd there you have it the fishermen has his first bit crickeys anyways MR searle has done a great job and good luck with it in the future ansd joe have you met shav hes a bit of a fisherman too
    I hope he comes back later when all the guys are here....his a## will be mince! He is entitled to his opinion...BUT...he's a pig! No need for that!
    He HIT & Ran! Got here at 2.30pm then vacated at 2.38pm

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"