Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Junior Titan

Default Titans keen to get Tuqiri back to league

Titans keen to get Tuqiri back to league
    Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 7:24 PM

Gold Coast Titans managing director Michael Searle confirmed the new franchise was keen to bring rugby union winger Lote Tuqiri back to league.

Tuqiri comes off contract after next year's Rugby World Cup and Searle believes the Titans stand the best chance of any NRL club in luring the 26-year-old back from the NSW Waratahs and ARU.

"I think it is fair to say we would like to give it a tilt (at signing Tuqiri)," said Searle.

"Being a new licence we have a better ability under the salary cap than some other clubs.

"The problem we will always have is the revenue the ARU throw at him his way and above his playing contract.

"It is a challenge, but at the end of the day it would be fantastic if we can get him back to league."

Searle said ideally Tuqiri would be the Titans' major signing for the 2008 season.

With 24 of its top 25 roster already signed for 2007, Searle hopes to finalise the inaugural squad by next week with the club's final signing.

"We are looking perhaps at someone who can play halves, backrow and or five-eighth and lock or a number nine," he said.

"It's probably going to be a fringe player but someone with regular NRL experience."

Source: AAP
    Tuquiri is a big strong winger and would be a great signing for the titans

Wow he is only 26... definately has some years left in him, and would be a great signing for the Titans.

I don't reckon they have a chance of pulling this off. Once you go Union, you never go back.

At least he has been successful at Union unlike the other former Bronco who jumped ship and will remain nameless.

Lote would be a great asset for the Titans however I think with all the experience the Titans already have; to add a player like Lote would be pointless (pointless might be too strong a word to use).

Give a younger bloke a go and let him grow into a player similar if not better than Lote. Then he could be referred to as a "Titan product" unlike Lote who will be referred to as "the former Bronco, and Union player."

Junior Titan

naah doubt he will sign even tho his fam is located in brisbane

The title of the thread could have had a bit more thought put into it!

Anyway, Lote is a great athlete and really outshone is team mate Sailor in his last season of League.

I don't watch Union so I haven't seen Lote play for a while but I have heard he still does alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos
    The title of the thread could have had a bit more thought put into it!
    Just fixed it so others actually know what they are reading before they click

What a signing that would be

I am 100% certain he will be back in league though I cannot see him playing anywhere but with Brisbane to be honest. Time will tell.

Junior Titan

Default ???

Quote Originally Posted by Queenslander
    At least he has been successful at Union unlike the other former Bronco who jumped ship and will remain nameless.

Lote would be a great asset for the Titans however I think with all the experience the Titans already have; to add a player like Lote would be pointless (pointless might be too strong a word to use).

Give a younger bloke a go and let him grow into a player similar if not better than Lote. Then he could be referred to as a "Titan product" unlike Lote who will be referred to as "the former Bronco, and Union player."

Berrick Barnes is killing it in union... it was the best thing he is ever done....
    i am sure this is the former bronco u are talking about .... lol

Quote Originally Posted by DeeGan
    What a signing that would be

I am 100% certain he will be back in league though I cannot see him playing anywhere but with Brisbane to be honest. Time will tell.
    DeeGan,

Why are you so sure he will be coming back to League?
    I don't follow Union so excuse my ignorance if something has been already said in the media

awesome i hope they do get him and also good for MAROONS if he does return

Quote Originally Posted by dan the man
    Berrick Barnes is killing it in union... it was the best thing he is ever done....
    i am sure this is the former bronco u are talking about .... lol
    I was talking about Wendell Sailor eace:

Quote Originally Posted by Queenslander
    I was talking about Wendell Sailor eace:
    I thought you were talking about Brad Thorn... :satan: :satan:

Nah seriously, this would be a good signing for the Titans if they could get him... only problem is, who would depart for him, added to the fact most of the team is signed till at least 2008 ???

A player of his calibre costs a fair bit of money, and it would mean having to sacrifice some of the youngsters coming through the system, probably GC locals who might just prove in the first year to be superstars of the future...

I'd wait and see on this one... I see really positives and negatives for this.

Banned

I think that if Australia wins the rugby union world cup then Lote would have done everything he wanted to do in union. Although I can only see him playing for the Broncos or the Titans, but very good for Queensland just coming off the State Of Origin win now finding out they may have one of or their best ever centre/winger back. Very excited to see how this all unfolds

Wow would be huge I have meet lote on numerous occasions and he is a real nice bloke always has a talk and you never see his name pop up when theres trouble would be huge for the titans still the one of the best players in both codes of thegame