Panthers to Name Legends Team
Wednesday, August 9, 2006 - 5:23 PM

To mark the 40th anniversary of its entry to the top grade of Rugby League, Penrith Panthers will announce a ?Team of Legends? in October.

The team will be drawn from a list chosen by a panel which includes rugby league writer and coach Roy Masters, Ray Chesterton, former players Mick Leary and John Farragher, as well as administrators Barry Walsh, Don Feltis and Roger Cowan.

There have been some great players who have represented the Penrith club since their inception into the top league 40 years ago, and a couple of those greats shared their thoughts on what it would mean to them to make the team of legends for that club.

Greg Alexander, Royce Simmons and Trent Waterhouse shared their thoughts on being nominated for the legends team.

Waterhouse, who is one of many current players nominated and a member of the latest premiership squad, said ?it is great to be nominated for the lock position, I am pretty stoked about it, but Colin Van der Voort would have to be the favourite to get it?.

Royce Simmons is a Panthers legend who not only wore his heart on his sleeve as a player but broke the mould and paved the way for Panthers of the future. ?I was the first Penrith player to wear the green and gold and I am proud of that. It was great for the club as Brandy, Mark Geyer and John Cartwright all followed soon after, and people started to think Penrith boys can play for Australia?.

Greg ?Brandy? Alexander was one of the most dashing halfbacks to ever play the game and his skill with the ball was regarded as brilliant. Brandy had an attacking kicking game and a flair for scoring tries throughout his career and captained the 1991 Premiership team.

Alexander was humbled that he was even selected as a contender for the position of halfback along with Gary Freeman and current half Craig Gower. ?It is a huge honour, a massive honour really to be thought of. The club has been going for 40 years and to be considered for its legends team means a lot to me?.

Alexander?s teammate in that win and the two-try hero of the game, Simmons, said ?I am proud to be nominated. The club has had a lot of good hookers over the years?.

Having been a part of the club?s first Grand Final victory and stalwarts of the club over many years, both Alexander and Simmons would be favoured by many to be a part of that team, and spoke openly about the Grand final win.

Alexander said ?it was the culmination of seven or eight years and a lot of the team had played together for four to five years, but for me it meant the most. I played for New South Wales and Australia, but winning the club competition was the most memorable moment in my career. Club football is the basis of the game and for me it was huge?.

Simmons has a somewhat different take on it.

?I was relieved more than anything, it was my last game and I had done everything I wanted to but win a Grand Final. I was proud though, especially seeing I persevered at Penrith when it may have been easier to leave when the club was struggling?.

Simmons insists that many of the players he played with deserve to be named in the team, but remembers a few truly special players.

?Alexander played his best football for Penrith, and he was a very special player. Brad Fittler was another one, it was a pleasure to have anything to do with his development, and he became a great player. In terms of great competitors there were players like Steve Carter, Col Van der Voort and John Cartwright. Chris Mortimer and Peter Kelly were also memorable for their toughness?.

Alexander commented ?in terms of the guys I played alongside in the halves I would split it between Fittler and Brad Izzard, although I remember Freddie more as a centre. Fittler was great but Izzard would not be far behind and as a five-eighth he suited my game perfectly. He was a great hole-runner. I had eight great years with Brad Izzard, and overall during my career I would say Izzard?.

Despite the youth of some of the current players who are nominated, Alexander feels they could be prominent in the Panthers legends team.

?There are a lot of good players at the club now who have been there a long time. Tony Puletua, Craig Gower, and Rhys Wesser. Luke Priddis is the best buy the club has made in recent times. I would not be shocked if some of those guys were selected?.

Whoever is selected, it is sure to be a very strong team that is chosen, with some players who are legends of the game missing out.

There has been 40 years of Panther pride and that will look to continue this year as the team battles for a spot in the finals.

Before the final ?Team of Legends? is announced, there will be a competition on the Panthers website - www.panthers.com.au - for supporters to name the chosen 17.

The prize will be a framed, signed 2003 Grand Final jersey valued at $1,700.

After the side has been announced, Panthers will release a limited edition 40th anniversary cap and jersey, each carrying the names of the ?Team of Legends?.

The full list of nominees is:

Fullback

Mick Leary (1968-72), Kevin Dann (1977-84), Mark Levy (1981-85), Rhys Wesser (1998 - present).

Wingers

Bob Landers (1967-70), Alan McIndoe (1989-90), Graham Mackay (1991-94),

Luke Rooney (2001- present), Luke Lewis (2001- present).

Centres Grahame Moran (1967-74), Dave Applebee 1967-72), Glenn West (1973-77, 81), Ross Gigg (1971-79, 82-84), Chris Mortimer (1988-90), Col Bentley (1986-92; 1995), Brad Izzard (1982-92), Ryan Girdler (1993-2004).

Five-eighth

Steve Carter (1988-2001), Brad Fittler (1989-95), Brad Izzard (1982-92).

Half-back

Gary Freeman (1994-95), Greg Alexander (1984-94; 1997-99), Craig Gower (1996- present).

Props

Bob Boland (1968-70), Terry Geary (1969-76), Daryl Brohman (1979-83, 86-87), Brad Waugh (1976-85), Peter Kelly (1988-90), Matt Goodwin (1983-89), Joel Clinton (2002- present), Tim Sheens (1970-82), Martin Lang (2002-04), Paul Clarke (1990-93), Bruce Ward (1970-79).

Hooker

Royce Simmons (1980-91), Luke Priddis (2002- present), Mick Stephenson (1974-78),

Craig Gower (1996-present).

Second Row

Bill Ashurst (1974-76), Ron Lynch (1972-73), John Cartwright (1985-96), Mark Geyer (1987-92; 1998-2000), Geoff Gerard (1985-89), Tony Puletua (1997- present), Matt Adamson (1993-2001), Barry Walker (1988-96), Lou Zivanovic (1979-86)

Lock

Phil Kleindiest (1969-72), Warren Fenton (1979-87), Colin Van Der Voort (1986-94),Scott Sattler (1999-03), Trent Waterhouse (2002- present).

Source: NRL