View Poll Results: Is Billy Johnstone killing the Cowboys finals chances?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 29.41%
  • No

12 70.59%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default NRL: Cowboys; Is Billy Johnstone killing the Cowboys finals chances?

Give us a break
    Mick Daly
    August 08, 2006 12:00am

EXHAUSTED North Queensland players yesterday pleaded with club officials to alter a rigorous training regime they believe is killing their finals chances.

The Courier-Mail understands there has been growing unrest in Townsville over the Cowboys' focus on fitness under hard-nosed conditioner Billy Johnstone, with many players believing they have nothing more to gain from his notorious sweat sessions.

The weary squad is sick of the physical beatings and has been desperate for a break for several weeks.

The players' discontent came to a head in a productive 90-minute team meeting yesterday afternoon at which several Cowboys raised their concerns with coach Graham Murray.

Senior trio Mitchell Sargent, Matt Sing and Justin Smith were particularly vocal, claiming the players were being run into the ground by Johnstone.

The squad had previously asked a six-man leadership group ? Travis Norton, Sing, Paul Bowman, Johnathan Thurston, Luke O'Donnell and Ty Williams ? to put its complaints to the coaches but no major changes had been forthcoming.

Of particular concern to the squad has been its Monday and Wednesday weights sessions, which have become progressively more difficult and taxing on the players' bodies.

Johnstone often tells the squad:"Train hard in the gym and it will be easy on the paddock". But the players have become increasingly sceptical.

Team sources say the squad is now working harder than it did in the pre-season. Just yesterday afternoon the players were forced to complete a modified beep (endurance) test and other running drills less than 48 hours after their weekend match.

Words used by players to describe the training have included "ridiculous" and "stupid". Some have even started casting an eye towards the off-season as they search for a rest.

A candid Sargent raised his concerns following last Saturday night's humiliating 54-14 defeat by Canterbury.

The NSW Country Origin representative said the battling Cowboys were tired and felt new training methods had to be found if they were to save their season.

He suggested more time needed to be spent addressing their on-field problems, which have caused the one-time premiership favourites to lose nine of their past 11 matches and crash to 10th on the NRL ladder.

"Johnstone will be touching us up again. I don't know if that's the way we should be going," he said.

"I think we should freshen up. It's 22 rounds into the year. We're obviously fit enough. I just think we need to concentrate on where we are going wrong rather than getting touched up.

"Physically I'm fatigued. The training we are doing is very tough. It's really hard to take."

The coach said last night he was aware of the players' concerns and acknowledged not all were happy with the present program.

But he said the club's training demands were similar to what they had been throughout his five years in charge and some aspects had even been tinkered with to please the players.

He understood the players' position but added their displeasure with the training had probably been heightened by their poor form.

The Courier Mail

Titan CEO

Intresting. You normally hear Johnstone being praised for his tough training regime.

Just on the poll question i said "no". I think its a number of things....besides im not sure how much tougher their training sessions are compared to other teams. I know billy is known for his tough sessions...but i cant imagine it being HEAPS more tougher then other teams. If he trains them to lightly then he gets the blame for not doing enough...he trains them hard and they want it easier....cant win.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Cronk
    I know billy is known for his tough sessions...but i cant imagine it being HEAPS more tougher then other teams. If he trains them to lightly then he gets the blame for not doing enough...he trains them hard and they want it easier....cant win.
    Actually Cronk... Billy works his boys like slave dogs at times, not that there is anything wrong with it...

I remember a hot summers training day at Belmore back when Billy was there and we were all eating iceblocks and sitting in the stand.. whilst the boys were doing 45 worth of sprint drills, and he kept yelling at them to do if faster, harder, you weren't putting the effort in he made you run the ground and go again once done, and to be honest, I was happy he did it, it made our boys super tough and gives them the bite they have.

Now to me, that is a good trainer, players need to learn that you can only get results through hard work, however I do agree that with the regime the players go through these days, they need a bit more rest... perhaps when he comes to the Titans next year, the team should look at a rest day a week, that way at least even if he works them like he did at the Bulldogs, they can have time to recooperate.

TBH though, the Cowboys should stop complaining, not being mean, but I went to training a month ago at Belmore, and the current trainer has them doing sprint drills for an hour, all be it with 5 mins breaks every 20 mins, and they were smiling, and we have Billy to thank for that mental toughness and aggression through pain.

When in doubt, blame someone.

Billy Johnstone is an ingredient that creates success, not vice versa. We have heard no complaints before. Clutching at straws Cowboys.

I won't name drop though a mate of mine who is a representative only has positive things to say re: Billy's training.

Another loss on the weekend and the ground announcer is going to cop it too!

they r just in a rough patch and have some very good players out injured. johnstone is probably the main reason they got this far, so how could he be makin them lose?

QLD Cup Titan

At this time of the year I can't see why Johnstone is running them into the ground.They should all be fit & a rigorous training schedule at this time of the year makes no sense.Bet the Storm & Bulldogs don't have a similar regime at this time of the year.

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by DeeGan
    When in doubt, blame someone.

Billy Johnstone is an ingredient that creates success, not vice versa. We have heard no complaints before. Clutching at straws Cowboys.

I won't name drop though a mate of mine who is a representative only has positive things to say re: Billy's training.

Another loss on the weekend and the ground announcer is going to cop it too!
    agreed they just need to blame someone for there losses.

Brisbane only fire support staff, not question them publicly

from sounds of it their chances are being killed by the training.
    if the cowboys feel they need to change then id like to see em try something different.

u cant work a team too hard at training it affects their confidence so yeh id like to see em try a different approach

I am pretty sure its up to the players :whatd: not the trainer

but the conditioning coach does the training and if hes working them too hard then its gonna cost cowboys the finals.
    im happy to see em look for a diff training approach.
    this game v warriors is their last chance to make the finals.
    they lose and its over

Flogging the team with fitness drills at this time of year is ridiculous.
    Focus should be put on your pattern of play and introducing any new trick you might want to bring into the finals.

Johnson is obviously good at getting the guys fit but it's the coaches job to pull back on the fitness side at this time of year

It's a shame Murray is not listening to the players and they feel the need to come out publicly.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos
    Focus should be put on your pattern of play and introducing any new trick you might want to bring into the finals.

Johnson is obviously good at getting the guys fit but it's the coaches job to pull back on the fitness side at this time of year

It's a shame Murray is not listening to the players and they feel the need to come out publicly.

I agree Choas, also a fitness coach last time i checked was not the coach, so the buck stops with Murray.

he is the guy telling his employee to train them to a standstill

Oh poor Cowgirls. If I was being payed $200K a season, I would start running from Redfern to Broome

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos

exactly right