Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Melbourne Storm 46 West Tigers 4
    Wests Tigers' NRL title defence lay in tatters after they were crushed 46-4 by competition leader Melbourne at Olympic Park tonight.

Centre Jake Webster did much of the damage for the home side, running in four tries to equal the club record among Melbourne's stunning haul of eight.

The premiers were looking to claw their way toward the top eight with a win tonight but were unable to stop the Storm juggernaut, which has now reached ten straight victories and 15 successive wins at home.

While Melbourne terrorised the Tigers in attack, the defence, which has been the platform for the superb run, was also rock solid.

They only allowed the visitors to cross the line once, with centre Jamaal Lolesi touching down in the corner late in the opening stanza.

The Tigers now need to beat Canberra next week at Campbelltown, followed by the Dragons away, to have any chance of reviving their season but the signs didn't look positive.

While the Storm was all class, the injury-ravaged Tigers didn't have any attacking penetration while their defence, particularly out wide, was woeful.

With young gun Greg Inglis back from injury and starting in the centres in place of Origin star Matt King, who was rested, the Melbourne backline fired again.

Billy Slater continued to show he didn't plan on handing Inglis his fullback jersey without a fight with another barnstorming display.

Backrower Ryan Hoffman was another star while halves Cooper Cronk and Scott Hill continued to impress.

Michael Crocker, who started in place of Queensland backrower Dallas Johnson, who was also rested, also got through a mountain of work.

While Inglis got across the line early in the second half and winger Steve Turner grabbed a double, the night belonged to Webster, who had two tries in each half to bring his tally one ahead of Inglis with 15 for the season.

Veteran winger Matt Geyer, who scored a late try tonight, and centre Aaron Moule, who is playing in England, have also scored four tries in a Melbourne match.

The only disappointment for Melbourne was that prop Brett White was placed on report by referee with eight minutes left on the clock for an alleged high shot on Lolesi.
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/st...198375379.html

Titan CEO

That was a good win by the Storm...but could prove to back fire, after having such a big win....the Storm, who have done this in the past, can get complacent very easy. I hope that Bellamy keeps them all grounded.

Not to get ahead of myself because the Tigers arent exactly the team to beat at the moment...but the Storm have to be favourites! They work SO well as a team and they still have a few areas to improve...So they are improving each week and still looking dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Cronk
    That was a good win by the Storm...but could prove to back fire, after having such a big win....the Storm, who have done this in the past, can get complacent very easy. I hope that Bellamy keeps them all grounded.

Not to get ahead of myself because the Tigers arent exactly the team to beat at the moment...but the Storm have to be favourites! They work SO well as a team and they still have a few areas to improve...So they are improving each week and still looking dangerous.
    I agree there... you are the Favourites, but there were aspects of that game on Saturday that I would be a bit worried about... mainly the right hand side defense where Lolesi scored... but that will sort itself out to be honest.

The danger for the rest of the comp is that the Storm continue to improve, they are only doing it very little by little, but they are getting there each week...

They will have to keep it up now... the Doggies are after them... and they are also improving every week, I mean not even I expected to see what I saw against the Cowboys, that was ruthless...

I am looking forward to seeing if Melbourne can keep it up and keep improving, I think they can and it will be a case of the Bulldogs trying to catch them, not for the minor premiership but to keep them honest, but it will make great football heading towards the finals...

Titan CEO

I agree there... you are the Favourites, but there were aspects of that game on Saturday that I would be a bit worried about... mainly the right hand side defense where Lolesi scored... but that will sort itself out to be honest.
    I agree, sort of. The right side and at times the left side defence is simply CRAP...Turner, Geyer and Webster have this thing for rushing up and in and they get caught out most of the time. But they have been doing it ALL year and we have gone good so it wont pose to much of a threat to our premiership chances IMO. It would be awesome if they could fix it...but if it aint fixed after 22 rounds...then it wont ever be fixed.

I agree, sort of. The right side and at times the left side defence is simply CRAP...Turner, Geyer and Webster have this thing for rushing up and in and they get caught out most of the time. But they have been doing it ALL year and we have gone good so it wont pose to much of a threat to our premiership chances IMO. It would be awesome if they could fix it...but if it aint fixed after 22 rounds...then it wont ever be fixed.
    Little Warning though about that.. and not trying to be negative or pump up my side... but something I am sure Bellamy would be looking at.. and as a coach I'd look at...

If they rush in and get caught out leaving that side of the field open, then I am sure sides have started to realise it... and therefore in the pressure of finals football...

- Expect loads of Banana kicks to wingers, you leave the space, and players like Sherwin, Johns and Head will turn it into a open area

- The Eels have a great ability to throw the ball wide and attract the inside player and then get the miracle ball out to the winger, they did it on Friday night, if they get it right, then you could have real problems there... I think every side will TBH..but the Eels haven't yet... when they do, they will be even more potent with Grothe and Hayne.

Titan CEO

True. And the Dragons really worked us in that area with their kicks...and it worked for them (altho they still lost).

But also the plus side is that the kicks have to be SPOT ON and have to be precise....for it to work...because altho they rush up and in they are still pretty fast so are able to chase down most players, and besides our cover defence is also impressive. So bascially the only way you will get us down that side is if your kicking and passing is top notch....and with the pressure of finals im not sure how many teams will be able to pull out pin point kicks all day long.

True. And the Dragons really worked us in that area with their kicks...and it worked for them (altho they still lost).

But also the plus side is that the kicks have to be SPOT ON and have to be precise....for it to work...because altho they rush up and in they are still pretty fast so are able to chase down most players, and besides our cover defence is also impressive. So bascially the only way you will get us down that side is if your kicking and passing is top notch....and with the pressure of finals im not sure how many teams will be able to pull out pin point kicks all day long.
    Now you make a very good point there.. the only side I can think of is mine if they put enough pressure on the forwards... or more likely Newcastle and one A.Johns who does it every game and is the master of it...

Titan CEO

Well thats right...the Dragons and Bulldogs have been the best at exposing us down the edges. And it helps when you have one of if not the best pack in the comp (doggies) As it gives the halves the time to get those kicks and passes right. Im confident that we can still hold these sides out even with the sides a little weak in defence....i guess only time will tell.