Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Storm react over Moon Decision...

Well to be perfectly honest, Melbourne must have really wanted this player... it seem strange a clubs actual staff to say something like this, even if it is obvious to all after a player does not sign with them... but in this case, Melbourne have... I'm not sure if it was the right thing to do though...

Storm looks for stars after missing Moon
    Stathi Paxinos
    July 26, 2006

MELBOURNE Storm has been forced to its back-up plans to cover the loss of five-eighth Scott Hill from next season after it missed out on claiming the prized signature of boon Brisbane teenager Joel Moon.

However, Storm recruitment manager Peter O'Sullivan said the loss had not blown a hole in the club's plans for next year despite there being no clear replacement for Hill, who will be ending his career playing in England. He said the club was looking at some lower-grade players in Sydney and could still reshuffle the line-up it already has.

"We've got a couple of things up our sleeves to work on in the next few days and obviously we've got (Greg) Inglis and (Matt) Geyer who can play five-eighth so we'll be looking for an outside back as well," O'Sullivan said.

The news came as the table-topping Storm decided to keep its next opponents, the fourth-placed St George-Illawarra, guessing as to its line-up for Sunday's game when it named Inglis and Garret Crossman, who are returning from injury and almost certain to play, as emergencies.

Assistant coach Michael Maguire said the team would not be finalised until the coaching staff had seen the training performances.

"Really it comes down to how the boys train. Everyone's been on form and been playing well so it's really up to how they perform on training," he said.

It is believed that the 18-year-old Moon had been on his way to Melbourne before a final discussion with Broncos coach Wayne Bennett convinced him to stay in Brisbane on a two-year deal that was significantly less lucrative than that being offered by suitors Storm and North Queensland.

O'Sullivan labelled it a poor decision by Moon, who is behind the Broncos' first-choice pivot and captain Darren Lockyer, whereas the Storm had offered him a starting role as Hill's replacement next season.

"But it's more an opportunity lost for him because he's not going play the games he should. He's a five-eighth, he's not ready to play lock, he's not a centre and he's stuck behind Lockyer," O'Sullivan said. "It's just a poor decision."

Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen said Moon's decision had surprised the club after Bennett believed his pitch had not been enough to keep the teenager. But he said the club had shown Moon "a career path that will have him as one of our marquee players in the not too distant future".

OK here is the more detailed reaction, quite a good one, but was it really called for...

From: The Daily Telegraph, Wednesday July 26 2006, pg. 77

Storm Angry at losing Boom Bronco
    By Steve Mascord

TEENAGE Brisbane star Joel Moon may have seriously harmed his career by letting Wayne Bennett convince him to stay in Melbourne, Melbourne officials said last night.

Storm recruitment manager Peter O'Sullivan didn't mince words when asked about Moon's decision to stay with the Broncos for another two years, knocking back reported offers of up to $200,000 a season.

"He missed a great opportunity", O'Sullivan said.

"He could have come down here and become our starting five-eighth and instead he's going to be in a queue behind Darren Lockyer for years. He'll get to play one game here and there."

"Wayne Bennett tells them what's good for their career but I wonder if it is really what is best."

"He put his arm around Brett Seymour and said he'd be halfback and today he got dropped. I heard he might actually be released."

O'Sullivan said the Storm would cope well without Moon to replace departing Scott Hill, with Matt Geyer and Greg Inglis able to fill the breach left by Scott Hill.

Bennett spoke to Moon's parents in a bid to convince him to stay.

Moon said: "Money is not the most important thing in life. I am 18, just out of school and playing rugby league is going to be my career for the next year or so".

"Hopefully there will still be many years left for me to earn the big dollars."

Well in that I have to say well done to Moon, he is a wise kid who knows he still has a long way to develop not just as a footballer but as a person... he sounds like a good guy to me...
    Last edited by Titanium_BD1103; 26-07-06 at 09:38 AM.

Its his career he is wasting, good luck to him

LOL this is not about whether its career he's wasting... as fans we are allowed to say or not say that... but it a question of whether officials who are meant to representing their club are allowed to...

The 2nd article I am about to re-type give a clearer picture on what I said at the top of the thread... I'm not worried either way, but to me it sounds like Sour Grapes on behalf of the Storm... and that is not a good look...

Titan CEO

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog_Titan311
    LOL this is not about whether its career he's wasting... as fans we are allowed to say or not say that... but it a question of whether officials who are meant to representing their club are allowed to...

The 2nd article I am about to re-type give a clearer picture on what I said at the top of the thread... I'm not worried either way, but to me it sounds like Sour Grapes on behalf of the Storm... and that is not a good look...
    Yeah a hint of sour grapes from Waldron, but thats Brian! He says what we are all thinking.

He has a point tho...The Storm have offered him a full-time spot at 5/8, they have awesome coaching staff and are looking to really grow in the future...but it looks like he will now most likely just be playing in then queensland cup. Its upto him tho....if he feels the lifestyle is better in Brisbane than fair enough, He would have been a great young signing but it wont be that big a blow for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Cronk
    Yeah a hint of sour grapes from Waldron, but thats Brian! He says what we are all thinking.

He has a point tho...The Storm have offered him a full-time spot at 5/8, they have awesome coaching staff and are looking to really grow in the future...but it looks like he will now most likely just be playing in then queensland cup. Its upto him tho....if he feels the lifestyle is better in Brisbane than fair enough, He would have been a great young signing but it wont be that big a blow for us.
    I understand that Cronk.... and I totally actually understand the first article... what I don't understand is why the club is taking personal pot shots at Wayne Bennett... is that really necessary???

Wasting a career by staying at Brisbane for less money? Nice one - have a think about your comment and you too will have to laugh.

Talk about getting fired up missing out on a relatively unproven player ... there is no need for comments like that when missing out on a signing. Wish him luck, move on.

When someone finds O'Sullivan's dummy, be sure to give it back to him

Quote Originally Posted by DeeGan
    Wasting a career by staying at Brisbane for less money? Nice one - have a think about your comment and you too will have to laugh.

Talk about getting fired up missing out on a relatively unproven player ... there is no need for comments like that when missing out on a signing. Wish him luck, move on.

When someone finds O'Sullivan's dummy, be sure to give it back to him

You put it bluntly Deegan... but I agree with you 100%.... I have no idea why Melbourne had to spit the dummy on this so badly... I mean yes say he might be wasting his career, but to bring in Brett Seymour into the arguement and Wayne Bennett... especially Seymour, smells of sour grapes to me...

Melbourne should just accept that they lost him and move on, there are plenty of fish in the sea...

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Souths'n'Titans
    Its his career he is wasting, good luck to him
    The Broncos will only enhance his career. When he breaks in to first grade all QLD eyes will be on him. A lot of players take less money to play with the broncos. I think it?s the best deal he could of made

Titan CEO

I dont see it as a dummy spit as such. I think the club has every right to take pot shots at whoever they like. Moon will not get a starting spot with Broncos....he will be playing queensland cup for the next few years....whats wrng with saying that?

Titan CEO

Quote Originally Posted by Gee
    The Broncos will only enhance his career. When he breaks in to first grade all QLD eyes will be on him. A lot of players take less money to play with the broncos. I think it?s the best deal he could of made
    And playing with the Storm wont enhance his career?

Its not like we have ever made somebodies out nobodies is it?:

Geyer (wasnt wanted at penrith, was too skinny and told he would never make first grade)- now look at him.

Billy Slater
    Greg Inglis
    Brett White
    Adam Blair
    Matt King

I know lifestyle is important....but when you are thinking of football you choose what is best for you....and choosing a feeder club spot over a starting spot doesnt seem like it will help very much.

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Super Cronk
    I dont see it as a dummy spit as such. I think the club has every right to take pot shots at whoever they like. Moon will not get a starting spot with Broncos....he will be playing queensland cup for the next few years....whats wrng with saying that?
    If he is good enough The broncos will play him maybe in a different position

Cronk... you have to remember he is only 18... the kid has yet to learn a lot yet... not just football wise, but lifewise... I know when I was 18, I wanted to most of all to be with my friends and family... if I had gotten an offer to move interstate for work, I'd probably turn it down... I liked my security.

Now I'd be different, but you have to mature first, Moon is smart for realising the best way to keep himself grounded and on the level is to stay with his family and friends at home who can do that.... he is a very smart kid, and should be applauded for not going after the money in order to ensure he can keep his life on track..

Titan CEO

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog_Titan311
    Cronk... you have to remember he is only 18... the kid has yet to learn a lot yet... not just football wise, but lifewise... I know when I was 18, I wanted to most of all to be with my friends and family... if I had gotten an offer to move interstate for work, I'd probably turn it down... I liked my security.

Now I'd be different, but you have to mature first, Moon is smart for realising the best way to keep himself grounded and on the level is to stay with his family and friends at home who can do that.... he is a very smart kid, and should be applauded for not going after the money in order to ensure he can keep his life on track..
    Hey Inglis was younger or the same age and he has kept his feet on the ground. I dont have a problem with it if he wants to stay because of family, thats fair enough.

But we all know what Bennet is like he has his favourites at the club and will choose the grandpa's of the club over young guys who have alot to offer.

The way i see it is...he isnt furthering his career at all in the queensland cup...he is just standing still waiting for that position to open at Brisbane.

He says it isnt all about the money YET....but later on down the track, so he IS all about the money but just not yet, he wants to spend more time ripping it up in the queensland cup first.

Default Shav

Hey the kids got taste, and he is probly not a dirty player.

92 - 93 - 97 - 98 - 2000 - 2006

Titan CEO

Quote Originally Posted by shavenjas
    Hey the kids got taste, and he is probly not a dirty player.
    *here fishy fishy*