Default Hannay signs with Sharks

From the Townsville Bulletin

DEPARTING North Queensland centre Josh Hannay believes his best football may be in front of him when he takes up a new two-year deal with Cronulla from next season.

The 26-year-old was already set to end his nine-year career with the Cowboys at the end of this season after the club informed him he would not be re-signed a fortnight ago.

However, he yesterday sealed his future - knocking back interest from Penrith and Newcastle to join the Sharks.

Hannay, who played his second match for Queensland this year, has been back to his best form in recent weeks after a slow start to the year, including a six-week stint in the Queensland Cup following off-season shoulder surgery.

He said he always knew he would take time to return to form after the operation but viewed the end of this season and the coming years as a chance to play his best football.

"Going down there, I could quite possibly have my best footy in front of me," Hannay said last night.

"I'm not thinking of it as a couple of years when I wind down and fade out.

"I'm going down expecting to be playing some good footy.

"I'll be only 27 (next year) and will obviously bring a lot of experience to their team."

Hannay travelled to Sydney to meet with Cronulla officials, including Sharks coach Stuart Raper, when the Cowboys had the bye three weeks ago.

He cited the quality of living in Cronulla as an attraction but said his main reason for signing with the Sharks was a belief that their style of play would suit him.

"I've had a few chats with Stuart regarding the football side of things and how he sees their style of football and where he thinks their strengths lie," Hannay said.

"I think their style of football will be good for me.

"As good as it is in the system up here, I don't think it's any secret that the style of footy we play is concentrated up the middle of the field."

The Moranbah product said he hadn't been surprised over the Cowboys' decision not to re-sign him, adding he may have considered leaving even if an offer had been forthcoming.

However, he said was determined to finish his association with North Queensland on a high and would miss the Cowboys and Townsville.

"I've enjoyed my time here and probably the thing I'm going to miss the most is obviously the boys," he said.

"There's a few guys that have been there for a few years, particularly Paul Bowman, and it'll be strange not running out alongside him or turning up and not seeing him around the place.

"Also just the people - there's been a lot of support for me since the news that I wouldn't be re-signed and it's been very touching to see I've got that support."

Good for you Capital Shark, got yourself a great player......bad for me and other Titan fans because I really wanted Hannay to be a Titan more than few other players.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Junior Titan

good player for the sharks and will add size and experience in the centres.

Titan First Grade Regular Eel 33's Avatar

Particularly with Vagana leaving. Good pick up by the Sharkies.

Thanx to Steelers for the handywork!!!

i really hope they put bott outside of hannay. they would strike up an excellent partnership.

Titan First Grade Regular Eel 33's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blunt_Beno
    i really hope they put bott outside of hannay. they would strike up an excellent partnership.
    If Bott can catch a ball.

Thanx to Steelers for the handywork!!!