Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Titans: Rd 1 Broncos vs Titans a no go

Butt out of our blockbuster
    GREG DAVIS
    23jul06

BRISBANE and North Queensland will join forces to try to shut the Gold Coast out of the Round 1 rugby league blockbuster at Suncorp Stadium to kick off next year's NRL season.

The Titans want to play the Broncos at the redeveloped Lang Park to celebrate their inaugural premiership match and would like the guaranteed sell-out to be classified as a Gold Coast "home" match.

However, the Broncos and Cowboys are strongly opposed to such a move.

Brisbane and North Queensland have clashed in Round 1 at Suncorp Stadium the past two seasons and both clubs would like that fixture to continue as a traditional season opener.

Clubs can start lodging requests for next season's draw with the National Rugby League now and the Broncos and Cowboys appear certain to ask for a third instalment of the Round 1 "Queensland derby" at Suncorp Stadium.

North Queensland chief executive Peter Parr said the club would be "bitterly disappointed" if it was bumped from the season opener.

"I firmly believe that ourselves and the Broncos have started a traditional fixture that a lot of people look forward to very much," Parr said.

"The Cowboys and the Broncos have a very healthy rivalry and respect for each other and the Round 1 match has taken that to another level so at the end of the day we would argue very strongly that it must continue."

Brisbane chief executive Bruno Cullen said the Broncos and Cowboys had a gentlemen's agreement that if the clubs were drawn to play each other twice, they would push to meet at Suncorp Stadium in Round 1 with a return bout in Townsville later in the year.

He said if the clubs were drawn to meet just once, the Broncos were happy to play the solitary match in North Queensland.

"I'd hate to see that arrangement fall by the wayside," Cullen said. "We'd like to keep up our end of the bargain."

"The Gold Coast has approached us about kicking off next year with a game at Suncorp Stadium but they want it to be their home game and, to be honest, we are 100 per cent against that."

Titans managing director Michael Searle said the Gold Coast was determined to muscle its way into the Suncorp Stadium blockbuster.

"Ultimately the NRL decide what configuration the draw takes and clubs get the opportunity to put forward requests so we will be asking that we play the Broncos in Round 1 at Suncorp Stadium," Searle said. "We would like it be to one of our home games because we would like to control the event and control the entertainment and celebrations for our first premiership match.

"Local derbies do have a lot of appeal for the fans and a Gold Coast-Brisbane local derby would create a lot of excitement in southeast Queensland.

"We think we could carry that excitement through by playing the Cowboys in Round 2 but, at the end of the day, it's not our call."

NRL chief executive David Gallop said a Gold Coast-Brisbane clash in Round 1 "had a lot of appeal".

But he said regardless of who the Titans played it would be a legitimate blockbuster.

For example, Gallop said the NRL did not schedule the grand final replay in Round 1 because the season- opening round was always going to surrounded by hype, so the clash would be wasted to a certain extent.

He said the NRL draw would be released in November and the game's ruling body would take all clubs wishes into consideration.

"It is a difficult process trying to please all the clubs and ensuring they get everything they request but we will be working hard to satisfy as many requests as possible," he said.

The Sunday Mail

Why the hell would they want their first game at Suncorp for?

Junior Titan

I reckon we should play a sydney club first like Roosters and kill them.

Personally I would prefer to keep the Broncos vs Titans game for Round 2 or later. Broncos vs Cowboys, Round 1, Suncorp Stadium is starting to become a tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Lockyer
    I reckon we should play a sydney club first like Roosters and kill them.
    Thats for the Bunnies to do

Titan First Grade Regular Eel 33's Avatar

I reckon the NRL won't have the b****to break up that tradition. But there's always an alternative, swap between the teams each year or have a showcase "QLD" game in each of the first 3 rounds.

Thanx to Steelers for the handywork!!!

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Eel 33
    I reckon the NRL won't have the b****to break up that tradition. But there's always an alternative, swap between the teams each year or have a showcase "QLD" game in each of the first 3 rounds.
    What like this:
    Round 1: Broncos vs. Cowboys
    Round 2: Broncos vs. Titans
    Round 3: Titans vs. Cowboys.

whoever the titans play first its going to be a sell out i would love though to see the first game at carrara

Default Shav

Quote Originally Posted by Queenslander
    Personally I would prefer to keep the Broncos vs Titans game for Round 2 or later. Broncos vs Cowboys, Round 1, Suncorp Stadium is starting to become a tradition.
    100% on the money, i agree.

92 - 93 - 97 - 98 - 2000 - 2006

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by lonegull
    whoever the titans play first its going to be a sell out i would love though to see the first game at carrara
    I reckon the first 5 home game for the titans will be sell outs.

"The Gold Coast has approached us about kicking off next year with a game at Suncorp Stadium but they want it to be their home game and, to be honest, we are 100 per cent against that."- Cullen

First mistake Michael Searle has made by even bothering to ask. He should know that in thier eyes it's Broncos first Rugby league 2nd. That's one thing that will never change. Anything that affects the bottom line will have shareholder Bennett and his puppet Cullen whinging like a pom.

I for one am happy we won't be playing the Broncos in round 1.

Playing the Broncos is the ultimate feature the public wants, we shouldn't give it to them straight away. We should milk it for all the headlines, hype and excitement it is worth.

Gold Coast taking on Brisbane would be ideal in maybe round 8, after they have independantly made their own way through the competition and fans are licking their lips with anticipation.

Whoever the Titans play first it will be MASSIVE. We don't need it to be the Broncos and splitting it gives us an extra blockbuster, because the first game will be huge either way.

And losing to the Broncos first up is a massive risk, I don't think we should risk having all that wind taken out of our sails before we even really begin our premiership campaign.

Cowboys v Broncos is basically an established tradition, let's make our own.

Let the Broncos and Titans go at each other once both teams have hit their stride and the new Gold Coast team has found its feet, with combination and confidence.

All three Queensland teams should play each other twice in the season.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

The Most Beautiful City In The World...Melbourne!!!

Leave the Cowboys/Broncos game as the Tri-State opener then have the Cowboys host the Titans in Rd 2 and the Titans host the Broncos in Rd 3. Ends up a win-win for the people of Qld for the opening 3 rds with all the Qld teams getting an early shot at each other... :fence:

"Remember in this game we call 'Life' that no one said it's fair!" - W.Axl Rose

Quote Originally Posted by J-Storm
    Leave the Cowboys/Broncos game as the Tri-State opener then have the Cowboys host the Titans in Rd 2 and the Titans host the Broncos in Rd 3. Ends up a win-win for the people of Qld for the opening 3 rds with all the Qld teams getting an early shot at each other... :fence:
    That is a silly idea, the NRL schedule should be balanced and paced throughout the season to maximise and maintain the success, excitement and hype of the season.

All clashes between QLD based clubs should be staggered over the season.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Exactly Diehard...

The Titans would be smart to schedule a traditionally low drawing away team for round 1. The game is going to be a sell out regardless.

Wait a few rounds before playing a home game against the broncos in Brisbane. And leave a home game against the cowboys at Carrara until late in the season.