Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Titans: First season could be played out of Suncorp

Get off our turf!
    SELINA STEELE
    23jul06

THE Gold Coast Titans have threatened to transfer their home games to Brisbane next season after a falling out with the Gold Coast City Council over the shared use of Carrara Stadium.

Titans CEO Michael Searle said the club had already held informal discussions with Suncorp Stadium officials about playing 12 home games in Brisbane in their debut NRL season.

Central to the dispute is the use of Carrara as both an NRL and AFL venue. While their Robina stadium is being built, the Titans are scheduled to play at Carrara ? and this week, the AFL's Kangaroos announced they would also play 10 games at the Gold Coast stadium for the next three seasons.

The Titans believe Mayor Ron Clarke and the Gold Coast City Council have broken a contractual agreement in regards to the stadium's reconfiguration.

The Titans believed temporary grandstands would boost the ground's capacity to 20,000 and transform Carrara into a rectangular stadium. But the AFL has since lobbied the council to keep the current oval shape.

"Going to Suncorp is an option ? we've already spoken to them," Searle said.

"Unless a solution can be reached, Ron Clarke is going to have every rugby league fan on the Gold Coast asking 'why has our team been forced to Brisbane?'

"If we lose 3000 in temporary seating, we're down to 17,000. Apparently, the proposal currently on the table will reduce capacity further.

"We can't be playing at a stadium that houses 14,000 fans. It's ludicrous the council is supporting an interstate business over a local business."

Searle, who will wait "eight to 10 weeks" before making a final decision, has sent a letter to the council outlining the Titans' position.

There is also concern the playing surface could become over-used with the Titans, Kangaroos and local soccer games all scheduled for the venue next year. "Carrara is supposed to be a multi-purpose venue," Searle said.

"I want to make it clear I'm excited for Kangaroos fans in south-east Queensland, it's great they can come and watch their games.

"I've always said the Gold Coast is big enough to host two codes. But I have difficulty with the Gold Coast City Council reneging on an agreement with the NRL and us. By not allowing us the seating, they are going to lock out 3000 fans.

"That's 36,000 fans over 12 games and there's no doubt this is going to be critical to us and our fan base in 2007."

Clarke, whose brother Jack was a premiership captain with VFL side Essendon, said the council would not shift on the issue of temporary grandstands.

"We've spent three million and the AFL has spent a million on Carrara's ground surface. That would be money down the drain if we allowed temporary seating on the actual ground," he said.

"The Titans knew they were going to play there for a year and they knew they were playing on an AFL ground. We wanted to protect Carrara, which is why we're spending $20 million on another another (stadium) for rugby league at Robina."

Clarke said there was no contractual agreement between the council and Titans for temporary seating to be built on the ground surface.

Kangaroos chairman Graham Duff was oblivious to the turf wars between the Titans and council, but said Roo officials would meet with the Titans soon.

"I think both codes can exist side-by-side.

"But obviously our interest is in the surface being maintained to AFL standards," Duff said. "That's something we'll sit down and discuss with the Titans."

The Sunday Mail

14,000 some crowd, NOT!

Junior Titan

Get rid of these afl people before i do.

IMO it sounds like empty threats are being dished out by the Titans admin. As good as it sounds, the Titans wont have all their first season games at Suncorp. The GCCC and the Titans need to work out the issues and state what was actually agreed with in their contract.

QLD Cup Titan

Ron Clarke has got alot to answer for.AFL have been nowhere near the Gold Coast for 14 years but Clarke couldn't get the AFL up to the Coast quick enough with all sorts of promises.He has also been sticking his nose in Melb's new stadium affairs because the new facility won't have a running track & he's trying to throw his weight around to keep athletics in the same region.How he got to be the mayor up there I'm not sure but from what I can see he shows a massive bias to his preferred sports of athletics & AFL.

Titan First Grade Regular Eel 33's Avatar

Seagulls Stadium held 14000, shouldn't have been torn down. Not the best alernative if it were still there, but would remove the need to go to Brisbane.

Thanx to Steelers for the handywork!!!

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Eel 33
    Seagulls Stadium held 14000, shouldn't have been torn down. Not the best alernative if it were still there, but would remove the need to go to Brisbane.
    Yeah true but i reckon the titans will stay but give the council a run for there money.

Junior Titan

Could there be an oppurtunity to play at Ballymore in Brisbane.

Titan First Grade Regular Eel 33's Avatar

Would rather be at suncorp though. Nothing against Ballymore though.

Thanx to Steelers for the handywork!!!

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Eel 33
    Would rather be at suncorp though. Nothing against Ballymore though.
    Yeah but suncorp will be really busy with 4 clubs using it with the titans. They are Reds, Broncos, Roar and titans

But at least seagulls stadium would have been controlled by the Tweed Shire Council.
    All this seem to be is part of the Turf War. Nothing more, nothing less. Titans shouldnt lower to their level. With Pride we should play out the first season at Carrara and have it their way and show the GC and the AFL how strong the Titans will be.

will the the gold coast crowds travel to suncorp instead of carrara i am not from the gold coast and it worries me that we could loose some supporter base

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by lonegull
    will the the gold coast crowds travel to suncorp instead of carrara i am not from the gold coast and it worries me that we could loose some supporter base
    If i am going to travel to Brisbane i would go to support the broncs.

Well, im current in brisbane so it would be easier for me.

Quote Originally Posted by lonegull
    Ill happily travel to Suncorp regularly to watch the Titans if it is the clubs best interest for a year, and that is from Ballina.

I think they should do whatever they feel is best for the club - screw the Council. The AFL has shown no interest on the GC till the Titans set up camp - now they are falling over themselves to be here. The GC deserves an AFL team, but wont support a transplanted Roos as their won.

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....