Default Warriors Grant Toopi Release.

From Foxsports

Warriors grant Toopi an release
    From correspondents in Auckland
    July 17, 2006

NEW Zealand Warriors has granted centre Clinton Toopi an early release from the club to enable him to immediately join English club Leeds.

Toopi had signed a three-year deal to join the Super League club from next year, but the Warriors acceded to the New Zealand international's request to leave early and play out the remainder of the season for the Rhinos.

"It was Clinton's wish to go early," Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah said.

"He asked to be released because he needs to be registered by July 18 to be able to play the rest of the Super League season.

"With Todd Byrne being cleared to play after this week's bye, we believe we have the depth to enable Clinton to take up his new contract.

"Everyone appreciates the tremendous contribution Clinton has made to the Warriors and we wish him every success in the future."

Toopi told his teammates of his decision today.

"I'm thankful to the club for allowing me to leave early," he said.

"Players are ahead of me here at the Warriors now and I think I need to be playing football at the highest level possible.

"I want to be in the Kiwi team for this year's Tri Nations and my best chance of achieving that at this stage is by playing for Leeds. "I've had a fantastic time with the Warriors, including the experience of playing in our first grand final in 2002.

"I think the club's in great shape for the future and wish them all the best. I'll be keeping an eye on how they're going."

Toopi's last appearance for the Warriors, his 129th since his debut in 1999, was against St George Illawarra in Wollongong on May 13.

The 26-year-old is expected to leave for England later this week.

AAP

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

Junior Titan

id on't think he was that good any way. The warriors won't miss him.

I would have saved the need for granting a release and gave the bludger the ass a long time ago.

Titan Club Captain

Cya Toopz.

I will miss him tbh, he was awesome on his day!!

<3..him and his braid's :rotflmao: