Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default RD 19: Panthers vs Cowboys

Penrith Panthers vs North Queensland Cowboys
    7.30pm Saturday 15 Jul; CUA Stadium

Referee: Ben Cummins

Game Notes:

Panthers: Craig Trindall replaces injured NSW half Craig Gower

Cowboys: Coach Graham Murray has opted to start with 71kg McConnell again this week at halfback even though Origin star Thurston is back in the squad.

Thurston has been selected in his preferred position of five-eighth, with Travis Norton shifting to lock.

Panthers

Rhys Wesser,
    Michael Gordon,
    Danny Galea,
    Luke Lewis,
    Luke Rooney,
    Preston Campbell,
    Craig Trindall,
    Joel Clinton,
    Luke Priddis,
    Craig Stapleton,
    Matthew Cross,
    Tony Puletua (c),
    Frank Pritchard.

Interchange:

Frank Puletua,
    Bryan Norrie,
    Shane Rodney,
    Paul Aiton,
    Lee Hookey (one to be omitted).

Cowboys

Matt Bowen
    Ashley Graham
    Josh Hannay
    Ty Williams
    Matthew Sing
    Johnathan Thurston (VC)
    Brent McConnell
    Matthew Scott
    Aaron Payne
    Ray Cashmere
    Carl Webb
    Luke O'Donnell
    Travis Norton (c)

Interchange:

Justin Smith
    Jacob Lillyman
    Steve Southern
    Mitchell Sargent
    Mark Henry

SMH

Second chances don't come too often in rugby league, let alone third opportunities.

But that is exactly what 27-year-old halfback Craig Trindall has received, named in Penrith's team to play North Queensland on Saturday night to replaced injured NSW half Craig Gower.

Gower will miss a "minimum" of two weeks with a hamstring strain, allowing Trindall, a former Panthers junior who spent time at Parramatta and the Sydney Roosters, to make his long awaited NRL debut.

The Panthers placed a media ban on Trindall on Tuesday, wanting him to concentrate solely on this weekend's vital clash with the Cowboys where he will oppose another NRL newcomer in Brent McConnell.

Panthers football manager Mick Leary said Trindall had shown impressive form in premier league and the Wee Waa-born product was ready to take his top grade opportunity.

"He has been playing well. He is a kid who always had a lot of talent and finally he gets his opportunity," said Leary.

"He has been playing for Windsor (Jim Beam Cup) the last couple of years and we had a look at him early this year and decided to give him a shot and he has not missed a beat.

"I think he realises that (the Panthers could be his last NRL chance) and he is going to do the best he can.

"There were a few hiccups in his life but he has overcome them now and is settled and playing real good footy.

"He has seen this opportunity as a chance to resurrect an NRL career."

I hope the cowboys take this one...

The Panthers will. The cowboys struggled to beat Souths for cryin out loud! I know we havn't (or may not have) got Gower this round, but Penriths proven to win without him.

GO PENRITH

Titan CEO

I think Penrith will get this one. I want cowboy sto win tho.

Junior Titan Cowboys_Rabbit_Fan's Avatar

I think with Thurston, Webb and O'Donnell back in the team AND FINALLY THEY GAVE THE BOOT TO TRONC, who is without a doubt my least favourite player (least favourite is a nice way to put it). It's good to see Brent McConnell staying in first grade and I am interested in seeing how his partnership with Thurston goes. Otherwise I think we caqn pull off a win if we can find any hint of form and take all of our oppurtunities, unlike what we've been doing the last 10 or so rounds.

GO COWBOYS, TITANS, BUNNIES AND MAROONS!

im picking the cowboys to win this one, but i wouldnt underestimate the panthers either..

HANNAY IS OUT...

Virus floors Cowboys centre
    July 14, 2006

NORTH Queensland centre Josh Hannay has been ruled out of the Cowboys' game with Penrith tomorrow night.

Hannay has failed to recover from a mystery virus that threatened his involvement in Queensland's State of Origin series win over New South Wales last week.

His place goes to utility Mark Henry.

Cowboys coach Graham Murray said today the team is united following a week of distraction that began when the club released a statement of denial over an alleged sex scandal.

AAP

Penrith are home though I can't see them winning without Gower. The Cowboys are fresh from the bye, the non-event sex scandal will galvanise their team the Panthers could be toweled this weekend if Murray has his players switched on.

go the cowman now all the players and coaches hoping they can get the season back on line

LIVE ORIGIN DRINK XXXX BLEED MAROON
    FINEST STATE FINEST TEAM FINEST BEER XXXX

Junior Titan Cowboys_Rabbit_Fan's Avatar

NOT HAPPY AT ALL.
    PANTHERS: 17 - COWBOYS: 8
    Tries:
    Panthers:
    Luke Priddis 46 min
    Rhys Wesser 66 min
    Michael Gordon 80 min

Cowboys:
    Steven Southern 56 min

Goals:
    Panthers:
    Preston Campbell (2)

Cowboys:
    Johnathan Thurston

Penalty Goals:
    Panthers:
    None

Cowboys:
    Johnathan Thurston

Field Goals:
    Panthers:
    Craig Trindall 78 min

Cowboys:
    None

GO COWBOYS, TITANS, BUNNIES AND MAROONS!

Yes, good game Panthers. Final score
    panther-17
    cowboys-8
    good on the panthers i hope they keep winning but not too many games lol,...

Ordinary game to watch.

The NQ Cowboys ... slip, sliding out the backdoor of the top eight, something is amiss up Townesville way. They were in slow motion for the majority of the game. They are suffering from the Origin curse once reserved by big brothers Brisbane, this is a huge test for Murray - can he lift the 'boys?

Penrith did what they had to do to win. Very simple game plan, the forwards laid the platform and Rhys Wesser was very good tonight.

A finals birth is a possibility.

To all those ppl debating Gower and Thurston.... i got 1 thing to say.... THE PANTHERS WON!!!!!!!! Watch the Cowboys performance before you make an opinion!!! Yes, QLD won the SOO, but Lockyer made Thurston look good... doesn't mean he's a good player...

Quote Originally Posted by Townsville Titan
    To all those ppl debating Gower and Thurston.... i got 1 thing to say.... THE PANTHERS WON!!!!!!!! Watch the Cowboys performance before you make an opinion!!! Yes, QLD won the SOO, but Lockyer made Thurston look good... doesn't mean he's a good player...
    Perhaps take some of your own advice and watch Johnathan Thurston play before making such a ridiculous statement about Lockyer making Thurston look good Thurston for the last 24 mths has been amongst the top 5 players in the game ... proof is in the pudding, look at 2005. He was the RLPA Player of the Year, Dally M Player of the Year, narrowly missed the Dally M, steered QLD to a series win in 2006, won a test jersey and will play halfback for Australia in the tri-nations.

Sorry mate, very silly post.

"Form is temporary, class is permanent"