Default Union: Is it about to be overtaken by Soccer? Or has it already!

Was posed on another forum this very question. Is Rugby Union IN AUSTRALIA, about to be overtaken by Soccer as the nations thirds most popular football code.

AFL (in the Southern States) and RL (In the Eastern States) are solidy entrenched at the top, however given the fact that Union doesnt have any regular FTA coverage severly hampers the development of the game.

Listed as the biggest Union event: The Bledisloe Cup rated poorly on Channel 7. Even Soo in Melbourne rated higher.

"How did the Union test rate?
    Tribal Mind replies: Total 819,000m of which 410,000 in Sydney and 64,000 in Melbourne. They must hate union even more than league down there.

from http://blogs.smh.com.au/entertainmen...nd/005143.html

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

Well Dakink... I read this two hours ago and have now taken 2 hours to think about it, and have come up with this...

The answer to the question posed will come down to whether Football/Soccer can keep the momentum going, which I think it can. We need to ensure that the A-League remains a strong and enjoyable game to watch, and that we are competitive with the Juniors in the Asian Cup Qualifiers and Asian Cup, if we can do that, then there is no reason why Football/Soccer can't be number 3.

The work will need to be hard and fast though, as Rugby, although not the most popular, will gain momentum if the Wallabies can put some decent result together and show something for France 2007 WC, if that happens, then people will start supporting the Wallabies again like after 1999 WC win....

I think though that Football/Soccer can do, and do it well... Never say Never...

I watched my first games of Soccer duuring the world cup, Loved it, intense, great games.

I humoured my Kiwi mate by watching the Yawnion game the other night, and it was like getting teeth pulled. Pathetic, slow, weak game.

I just dont understand how anyone could rate that sport, its painful to watch

Titan First Grade Regular

I love my football but i get bored easily with Union, believe me if i wanted to see at least over a eighty kicks in general play then i'll watch football/afl, if i wanted to a ref give fourty penalties a game again i'll watch football.

Football will be the third most popular game in this country soon.cya. :!:

I'll always love mi footy (League and Union in particular). Soccer will never change that IMO.

Well one thing in Union's favour is that Fox Sports now have just about all broadcast rights to football in Australia, meaning we will have to get Pay TV to watch it

Union will always be better than soccer, i just can't sit through a soccer game without falling asleep

Titan First Grade Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers
    Well one thing in Union's favour is that Fox Sports now have just about all broadcast rights to football in Australia, meaning we will have to get Pay TV to watch it
    It is a pity that SBS (sex before soccer) played a role to get the FFA and the A-League up and running and then lost out in the TV rights to Foxtel.cya. :whatd:

Having said that the only spot you can see Union is on Pay.

International games are different - both Union and Soccer internationals will still be on FTA.

Interesting to read that a higher percentage of Melbournians tuned into watch the SOO, than Sydney siders tuned into the Bledisloe Cup. IS League more popular in Melbourne than Union is in Sydney?

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

Junior Titan

no union will always be bigger than soccer in australia :afro:

being a waterrunner for a local RU team we have seen an increase in numbers - not only with the juniors but there a lot of older people joining the sides - i waterrun a over 20s group with the exception of 3 players both 19...

You can't realy overtake it.Their two total different sports..

I think it already had been because there are alot of union fans, but the amount of support the Socceroos got throughout the World Cup, they have overtaken Union in the amount of supporters...

Titans Star Player Steve Dangerous's Avatar

I've never really bought into the union v league debate.

the lack of FTA super 14 coverage definately hurts it, but they have strong crowds and the gps school base will always remain.

did anyone go to the qld roar game at carara?