Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Titan CEO

Default Why will the Titans work?

Im looking for a 'why or why not' (for and agianst) type of discussion here. Your job is to bring forward ethier a 'why' arguement or a 'why not' arguement, Ofcourse if your sitting on the fence you can bring up both sides of the story in your post.

I want to know Why (or why not) you think the Titans will succeed where the Chargers or the Seagulls failed?

Titans Star Player Steve Dangerous's Avatar

a number of reasons. firstly, there has been terrific organisation. they've worked out exactly what they need to be successful and planned for it. got a new stadium, strong business ties, good management team, been doing very good PR, etc. and they've shown via the trials that the support for league is there. the men in charge have already gathered an impressive player list.. and on-the-field success is vital to back up all the hard work off the field. in respect to past gold coast teams, there was consistant poor performances plus unstable management/organisation. the titans however just seem very professional and on-the-ball... i really have faith in their ability to build the club and make it work.

Ditto to SD he's hit the nail on the head and driven it all the way to China

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

I am still on the fence with this won.

Case for: More ex-NSW citizens moving to Gold Coast and impressive crowd numbers so far. Very strong junior base.

Case against: The crowds have been good but can they sustain them even if the franchise has a few rough years. Past franchises have failed in GC, why now?

We will see next year wont we

I am actually very much in agreeance with Steve that this can work and it will, with the GC to be one of the landmark teams come the next decade and beyond... however there are some issues, that I am sure the club is aware of and will address in the upcoming months towards the opening of the 2007 season.

FOR:

- Great Community, fantastic support and amazing drive
    - Great and very strong structure behind the scenes- unlike previous GC Clubs
    - Great signings, some superstars, but a very solid all round team with hard workers
    - Strong PR and Marketing business strategy, good relationship building capablities and very open communication.
    - Good ethic, clean cut very well organised team.
    - New Stadium, very good support.

AGAINST

- The state of GC Stadium, well the current one, the need for a season of tolerance from fans on what seems to be a very uncomfortable place to watch a game of Rugby League.

- The need to keep fans interested early on, ensure that there is no repeat of North Queensland where there was 7 years of anguish before success... although I really do believe the community will support this side, it will need good results, not wins, but decent showings, to ensure the club remains supported.

- The need for understanding of selection of players... now that might not make entire sense, but what I mean is that already there are people here complaining about the lack of QLD'ers in the team... there is a need to understand that the team needs to be successful first and then worry about the fact it is a QLD team. The QLD'ers will come in the juniors in the future, but ATM, the club needs to get fans to remember that its about the clubs success, and not state pride at present... and THAT is something that THE GC I am happy to say have done very well ATM...

HOWEVER with the against, I only see a glowing future for the Gold Coast Titans... I see no reason why they can't in the long run with their great organisational structure and very strong ethos, become the number 1 team in QLD... as there is the players to do it, all it will take is time, by the end of the next decade, I reckon that GC, Brisbane, North Queensland and one other will fight it out for QLD RL supporters, and GC will head the field... that is though long into the future.

So Simple Answer to the Question: YES FOR SURE, WHY NOT AND I HOPE TO SEE THE GC TITANS IN 20 YEARS TIME STILL AS STRONG AS THEY ARE TODAY, IF NOT STRONGER..

totally agree with buldog titan 311 the managment team is one of the best assembled also the infrastructure they have in place is second to none

I want to know Why (or why not) you think the Titans will succeed where the Chargers or the Seagulls failed?
    just answering this quote by supercronk the chargers never failed they had money in the bank and were financally viable but were wound up due to the super league peace deal

Titan First Grade Squad The Original Idiot's Avatar

Unless your team is named Melbourne Storm, you can't fail to draw sizeable crowds if your team is consistently at the top end of the table and playing exciting football. The recruitment of the Titans so far makes me think they will be playing some exciting football for the next 3-5 years. I'm sure that the rest of the signings will also support this case.
    Sig deleted. Please refer to the member guidelines for allowable sig sizes.

Great thread, when I have more time, I will invest in a detailed reply

Well my argument has basically already been covered... I think they will work

This is my first post on the forum. I've been a loyal Seagulls, Gladiators and Chargers supporter since 1992, when we were robbed of second last on the table, thanks to an illegal interchage player. I come from Sydney, and I must say that support for the Gold Coast is lukewarm at the very best down here. some are tipping that the Titans will come last in 2007! I'm not sure about that, with the playing roster that we have. 11-12th in the first year would be a big achievement, in my opinion.

The case for why the Titans will work is simple:

1. Absolutely no dependence on the Seagulls Leagues Club for funds

2. No shady businessmen are involved this time (eg. Jeff Fuller, and the three-week Glaidator farce)

3. Decent playing roster, with solid senior playing group.

4. Coach, who is proven in the lower grades, and has substantial experience with preparations for Origin.

5. Better stadium than Carrara or Seagulls Stadium

6. Unified administration (This was a HUGE problem throughout the four previous incarnations of the GC)

7. The NRL is behind us, unlike 1998, when, despite having more money than at least seven of the clubs that year, we were axed from the competition.

8. Solid business plan

The case against:

1. Proven history of failure of Gold Coast sporting outfits (Think League, the Rollers, and the Cougars)

2. Support base (Crowds rarely were above 10,000, with the rare exception of Broncos matches)

3. Depth in playing roster (this is a concern heading into 2007, especially after failing to sign Fitzgibbon)

4. Ground facilities (At least for the first couple of years)

5. Previous dependence on funds from sources, who were unwilling or ripped off the GC

6. Competence of adminsitration over the long run (hopefully, Michael Searle will make the right decisions 99% of the time)

7. Player recruitment (Don't remind me about the shambolic failure of the Chrager administration for not going after the Mariners players, when the opportunity was there to merge; a premiership would have been certain)

8. Lifestyle (will players treat the Gold Coast, as an opportunity for superannuation and a good time? Let's hope not!)

We all know it will work, i hope, i need a team that wins

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Titan Fan
    This is my first post on the forum. I've been a loyal Seagulls, Gladiators and Chargers supporter since 1992, when we were robbed of second last on the table, thanks to an illegal interchage player. I come from Sydney, and I must say that support for the Gold Coast is lukewarm at the very best down here. some are tipping that the Titans will come last in 2007! I'm not sure about that, with the playing roster that we have. 11-12th in the first year would be a big achievement, in my opinion.

The case for why the Titans will work is simple:

1. Absolutely no dependence on the Seagulls Leagues Club for funds

2. No shady businessmen are involved this time (eg. Jeff Fuller, and the three-week Glaidator farce)

3. Decent playing roster, with solid senior playing group.

4. Coach, who is proven in the lower grades, and has substantial experience with preparations for Origin.

5. Better stadium than Carrara or Seagulls Stadium

6. Unified administration (This was a HUGE problem throughout the four previous incarnations of the GC)

7. The NRL is behind us, unlike 1998, when, despite having more money than at least seven of the clubs that year, we were axed from the competition.

8. Solid business plan

The case against:

1. Proven history of failure of Gold Coast sporting outfits (Think League, the Rollers, and the Cougars)

2. Support base (Crowds rarely were above 10,000, with the rare exception of Broncos matches)

3. Depth in playing roster (this is a concern heading into 2007, especially after failing to sign Fitzgibbon)

4. Ground facilities (At least for the first couple of years)

5. Previous dependence on funds from sources, who were unwilling or ripped off the GC

6. Competence of adminsitration over the long run (hopefully, Michael Searle will make the right decisions 99% of the time)

7. Player recruitment (Don't remind me about the shambolic failure of the Chrager administration for not going after the Mariners players, when the opportunity was there to merge; a premiership would have been certain)

8. Lifestyle (will players treat the Gold Coast, as an opportunity for superannuation and a good time? Let's hope not!)
    Welcome to the Zoo DTF!!

Great post - I see the Titans becoming another Newcastle - that is strong supporter strength and corporate backing!!!!

The Titans this time are doing everything the right way - Imagine regularly 3\4 to filling a 25,000 stadia!

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

Newcastle and strong corporate backing haven't gone hand-in-hand for quite a few years. Remember last year, even with Andrew Johns in the team, that Newcastle couldn't attract a major sponsor until well into the season. I do hear that the bikkies that Coal and Allied are providing are the best Newcastle have had for a while.

16-17,000 spectators at Robina on a regular basis? I'd like to see that! It'll be better than the 1,500 spectators that showed up at Carrara in 1997!

sorry that was meant to read "with" !!!!

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

Titan First Grade Squad The Original Idiot's Avatar

This is going to get too confusing, so many people named Diehard....

I think the Titans will end up getting decent crowds to every game. Searle has built the foundations well, giving the club a higher chance to succeed. Community support, trying to move into untapped areas outside the GC (Ipswich, Nth NSW), when it all adds up its pretty convincing the Titans will work.
    Sig deleted. Please refer to the member guidelines for allowable sig sizes.