Titan CEO

Default Melbourne knows and cares plenty about league: Tallis

melbournestorm.com.au

The following was written by rugby league legend Gorden Tallis in his column for The Courier-Mail.

I WAS having a drink with Mal Meninga in Melbourne the other night and, guess what, he was mobbed.

Now Mal is used to that sort of thing happening in Queensland and Canberra and especially in Papua New Guinea, where he is treated like some sort of god, but Melbourne?

Surely not Melbourne where they're supposed to know nothing about rugby league?

Mal might have been surprised by the reaction but I wasn't. I've been down here for a week in the lead-up to tomorrow night's State of Origin decider and I've been quite impressed by how much impact the game has had in an Aussie rules-mad town.

You might have heard that no one turned up at Melbourne airport when the teams arrived and that no one was at the Blues' training session on Sunday, but so what?

Tullamarine is a cut lunch from Melbourne city and it costs a small fortune to park out there so anyone with any sense just waited to catch the players when they arrived at their hotels. It also was raining on Sunday and going to training sessions isn't a big thing in league culture.

There were plenty of people at the fan day last week and I can assure you they weren't just there for something to do ? they knew who they were coming to see and what it was all about.

So you can forget all the knockers of the Melbourne Origin concept, it really hasn't been a waste of time at all.

I can see why NSW would be cranky about missing out on a home decider but I'd like to point out that there will have been two sold-out Origin games this year?one in Brisbane and one in Melbourne. Maybe if Sydney fans were a little bit more willing to get off their backsides, the ARL would have been reluctant to move the decider to Melbourne.

Besides, if we are serious about wanting our game to grow, we have to give the Melbourne market a shot. We either promote league in non-traditional areas or we sit back in our "heartlands" and watch as our support base dwindles under an AFL avalanche.

I've never been one to sit back and take a pounding . . . I'd rather go down swinging.

Not much you can argue with there. Good article from Gordie. I think SOO in Melbourne is a great thing, especially a descider. Being a QLD fan I'd rather it anywhere but Telstra.

Titan CEO

Good to see that there is intrest down there. And after the game im hoping that the intrest grows.

It'll be interesting to see how many turn up to the Storm v Broncos game down there just 2 days later.

Titan CEO

Quote Originally Posted by Capital_Shark
    It'll be interesting to see how many turn up to the Storm v Broncos game down there just 2 days later.
    I was thinking that too but ...it could work agiasnt the Storm. Not many people will back up after watching a game and 2 days later go to watch another game. Esp with the SOO tickets costing much more then regular games....it could mean that people just dont go.

But the other way is that the new comer victorians will love the SOO and then fork up the $12-14? for the Storm game, the travellers will also stay to watch the top of the table clash, and the 8 thousand regular storm supporters will be there like always.

One thing is for sure tho...these two games are going to be absolute rippers!

the fans backed up for the the broncs dragons games after last SOO. if this doesnt pick up the interest in melbourne then they will be running out of options very quickly.

Titan CEO

Quote Originally Posted by Teegy
    the fans backed up for the the broncs dragons games after last SOO. if this doesnt pick up the interest in melbourne then they will be running out of options very quickly.
    Im sure the Storm game will get a good crowd. Broncos and Storm games have always got a decent turn out down there.

Good points there super cronk, hopefully its a positive though and plent turn up. However it may not be the best game to judge the success from because of interstate people staying, and on the back of origin. They play the Sharks down there a couple weeks later though so we'll see how many Vics hang around.

Titan Club Captain

Awesome article.

Titan First Grade Regular Eel 33's Avatar

Yes, the litmus test will be 2 days later when the Storm take on the Broncos. Ill be keeping an eye out for the crowd numbers and see the reaction.

Thanx to Steelers for the handywork!!!

I think that the Storm vs Broncos game will get a great crowd. I am sure that there will be advertisements of the game at the stadium and during the telecast on TV. Don't forget all the QLD supporters that have flown down there for SOO that are possibly also Bronco supporters.