Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Titans Captain Hoppy2007Dragons's Avatar

Default Simon Woolford to Dragons

Woolford to sign deal with Dragons
    Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 9:09 PM

Canberra hooker Simon Woolford will sign a two-year deal with NRL joint venture club St George Illawarra on Wednesday.

The 31-year-old former Raiders skipper says he's looking forward to a change of scenery and playing under Dragons coach Nathan Brown.

The Dragons have recruited Woolford after losing front-rowers Luke Bailey and Michael Henderson to the Gold Coast Titans.

Source: AAP
    I think this is a excellent move by the Dragons managment with the loss of Bailey and Henderson, although we have young forwards with great potential, it can't hurt to have more, although he plays his best footy at hooker, which we have two very good hookers atm, so does any one have nay thoughts on where brown will slot Woolford next year?

Titan CEO

Wow...big loss for the Raiders if this goes ahead, which it looks like it will.

terrible move IMO. young is awesome part time hooker along with Gorrell. we should be using this money to tie up our young stars.

Titan One Clubman

I'm not too concerned, Woolford is past his best footy.

At the end of the day the dragons have traded a young great Hooker in Linc for our Woolford who is coming to the end of his career, cheers boys

From 2KY this morning... they were discussing this and the SMH Brad Walter said that in the words he had with Dragons Officials, they do not see Young as a hooker, they want him in the second row.

The reason behind signing Woolford is to have experience in the side having lost Bailey and Barrett from the club, they are aiming to use him in numerous positions, not just hooker, however both Woolford and Gorrell will have a chance at Number 9.

I initially was aghast, but on thinking on it it isnt such a bad move.

He is a solid 1st grader who will lend his experience to the younger generation. He will slot in with Gorrell as well as offering a huge amount of experience for any young hookers coming through.

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

Well as long as he performs better than Gorrell AND Young, then I am happy for him to be here... but if he underperforms compared to those 2... chuck him into PL. I hope we didn't waste too much money on him because I see him not being much of an asset to us next year.

I think you'll find that they want Young to act more as a ball playing back rower next year.

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dakink
    I think you'll find that they want Young to act more as a ball playing back rower next year.
    But I don't LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Dakink
    i like that idea but he already does that now when goz comes of the bench the way it is now with them 2 is perfect

Titan First Grade Squad The Original Idiot's Avatar

Is it possible Woolford could slot into 5/8, supposing Millard leaves for the dogs and Gasnier moves back to the centres?
    Sig deleted. Please refer to the member guidelines for allowable sig sizes.

Highly unlikely considering Millard is more likely to stay at the Dragons... We aka. The Bulldogs have Tonga for 2 more years and are after McKinnon... so I doubt we will go after Millard as well, there is just not enough money...

Quote Originally Posted by The Original Idiot
    Is it possible Woolford could slot into 5/8, supposing Millard leaves for the dogs and Gasnier moves back to the centres?
    your kidding right?

id have Chris Leikvoll at 5/8th before id have woolford. it you were not putting Gaz at 5/8th then Young, Honrby, gorrell, Shepperd and we have some young halves to that would play their

And its official... strange to see the news came out at 6:44pm... that means a press conference at 5-6pm... not the greatest thing to do to the media..

Woolford joins Dragons
    By Daniel Pace
    June 21, 2006

CANBERRA hooker Simon Woolford has signed to join NRL club St George-Illawarra for two years, citing the opportunity to play under former first-grade rake Nathan Brown and a change of scenery as his reasons.

The Canberra No.9 travelled to Sydney today to officially seal the deal with the Dragons, who will lose skipper Trent Barrett (Wigan) and bullocking prop Luke Bailey (Gold Coast) at the end of this season.

"One door shuts and another opens,'' Woolford, 31, said.

"I've enjoyed every minute of the Raiders but I've got to the stage where, to really enjoy and get the most out of my last couple of years, I need a change of environment.

"There would've been a handful of clubs which I would've jumped out of my skin to go to and the Dragons is one of them.

"I'm thankful I've been given the opportunity."

Woolford said the chance to play under Brown - who is just two years older than the former Raiders skipper - was too good to refuse.

Brown played 171 first-grade games for the Dragons before a serious neck injury forced him to retire in 2001.

"The coach is an ex-hooker, which really appeals to me,'' Woolford, who has played all his 226 first-grade games with Canberra, said.

"I used to play against Browny a lot and he was certainly a smart player and I'm looking forward to being coached by him and getting amongst a new bunch of guys and proving myself all over again.

"It's exciting mate.

"As long as the Dragons win a comp next year and not this year.''

Dragons hooker Dean Young is expected to shift to the back row to make way for Woolford.

The Raiders face a drain of experience, with captain Clinton Schifcofske considering switching codes to join the Queensland Reds, five-eighth Jason Smith tipped to sign with South Sydney, and lock Jason Croker likely to play in England next year.

Both Smith and Woolford had been given permission to negotiate with other clubs, but the Reds' three-year offer to Schifcofske caught the Raiders completely off guard.

Canberra chief executive Simon Hawkins said the club's recruitment plans depended on whether Schifcofske, who turns 31 in November, stayed with the Raiders or decided to switch codes.

His chances of playing rugby union nosedived today when the Australian Rugby Union refused to offer Schifcofske a top-up deal, infuriating Reds coach Eddie Jones.

"We're just waiting to see what Choc (Schifcofske) is going to do," Hawkins said.

"If he wants to go we'd be looking for at least one player with a fair degree of experience.

"It's important to get a balance in seniority in the team, and we're very conscious of that."

Croker (307), Woolford (226), Schifcofske (224) and Smith (180) have played a combined total of 937 first-grade matches, leaving a huge void in experience for Hawkins and incoming coach Neil Henry to fill if they all leave the club.

AAP

I don't understand the move at all - they have Gorrell who I think is a very good hooker as well as Dean Young. On top of that there is the talented George Ndaira in the lower grades yet they go buy Woolford who is past his best footy???

The Saints are losing Trent Barrett, Luke Bailey, Michael Henderson and possibly more in the off-season, IMO the money would of been better spent at other positions.