Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Titan CEO

Default Dragons to off-load to stay under cap?

ST GEORGE-Illawarra chief executive Peter Doust has confirmed his club would need to take immediate steps to get under the salary cap for next season.

A number of younger players have secured performance bonuses that were built into their contracts.

Those extra payments are carried forward to next year's cap.

Doust confirmed the Dragons have an issue but claimed the figure was not as high as $250,000.

"We are over the cap, but we'll be dealing with it once our campaign is over," he said while watching the young Dragons win yesterday's Jersey Flegg grand final.

Asked if he would have to let any players go to get under the cap, Doust said: "I've got no comment on that at the moment, we'll be dealing with it after the season is over."

There is speculation the club will have to release one of their big-name players with Bailey, Lance Thompson and Shaun Timmins all mentioned.

Foxsports,com.au

There was also an article in the SMH(i posted link in signings thread) that the melbourne storm will be looking to snatch ashton sims or lance thompson if they are realeased.

I find it amazing how a team can be punished for having good depth.

I would release Shaun Timmins who is running on a pair of dodgy knees taking up a lot of cap room personally. Timmins still has something to offer though there is no chance Luke Bailey would be released and I think Thompson is a better player to keep long term as he still a tirless worker with no real injury concerns.

Steelers

This is the nature of the beast and how the salary cap works. A WHOLE NEW ARGUMENT that I haven't the time to start on today lol

The club develops the player, the player in turn performs well and the other clubs have every right to capitalise on the work of the club signing the youngster IF the 'mother' club if you will cannot fit their player in under the cap.

I am all for the salary cap, though I think we need to look at something where clubs do have some concessions put on their home grown stars who they put the time and effort in developing. For example, Matthew Johns should never have allowed to leave Newcastle though the Knights had their hand forced.

Again, a whole other thread right there lol

DeeGan

Quote Originally Posted by DeeGan
    This is the nature of the beast and how the salary cap works. A WHOLE NEW ARGUMENT that I haven't the time to start on today lol

The club develops the player, the player in turn performs well and the other clubs have every right to capitalise on the work of the club signing the youngster IF the 'mother' club if you will cannot fit their player in under the cap.

I am all for the salary cap, though I think we need to look at something where clubs do have some concessions put on their home grown stars who they put the time and effort in developing. For example, Matthew Johns should never have allowed to leave Newcastle though the Knights had their hand forced.

Again, a whole other thread right there lol

DeeGan
    Your right it needs a bit of tweeking.

EDIT= I am also all for the salary cap

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers
    Your right it needs a bit of tweeking.

EDIT= I am also all for the salary cap
    Steelers

I would advise you move well away from becoming the resident FORUM GRAMMAR NAZI if that is where your heading with the ending above. It will come back to bite you twice as hard

Cheers

DeeGan

p.s. If this was not how the post was intended, ignore the above

I am liking how the salary cap works right now overall. Without it, teams like the Tigers would not be in the position they are in.
    But some exemptions need to be made to homegrown talent, though I think their should be a limit to how it is used. The best example of this would be to give a club $100,000 exemption for homegrown talent, to use it as they please. Much like the 10 veterans exemption.

I think it would reward clubs for producing homegrown talent but also keep the equality of the competition, call me biased because of my teams junior system; but I do not like the idea of teams who have a great demographic and geographic area having advantages over other clubs by implementing a system making all juniors exempt or have concessions.

A balance needs to be found, I think giving clubs a certain amount to utilise in any way they see fit for juniors is the best way to go. Other than that, the salary cap seems fine to me.
    2007: The Centenary of the Mighty Roosters & the Birth of the Mighty Titans.

Titan First Grade Squad The Original Idiot's Avatar

The salary cap makes a close and exciting comp. In European soccer, the Real Madrids & such buy all the best players, staying on top. It takes many years for a club to rise to the next level, whereas in NRL the Panthers did that in 1 season.
    Sig deleted. Please refer to the member guidelines for allowable sig sizes.

If I had to release someone out of those 4 I'd definately be realising Timmons as well. Definately running on old legs and is easily replaceable with the depth they have.

Titans Star Player Steve Dangerous's Avatar

i think the state of the competition shows that the salary cap is working.

as for the dragons, yeah it's tough.. but it's just the way it is. they've got probably the best side on paper, so it seems reasonable that the salary cap squeezes a player or two out.

I think that the Dragons will off load either Thompson or Bailey, but probably Thompson.. they tried to off load him before, no chance they will try again..

Titan CEO

The cap is working for sure...but it does get worrying when a team has to be forced to let go of juniors or let go off veterans of the team to stay under the cap...I think there has to be a concession on them etheir that or raise the salary cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog_Titan311
    I think that the Dragons will off load either Thompson or Bailey, but probably Thompson.. they tried to off load him before, no chance they will try again..
    they wont let thompson go. he has been with st. george since way back when. they have bailey for 2006 before he comes to the titans, so he won't go. it will most likely be one of the bench players (Sims, Poore, Henderson)

Nope, there isn't enough money from that.. reports down here from Radio Station 2KY stated that on Sunday it would have to be from their super six...

those being.. and you would be well aware....

- Jason Ryles
    - Lance Thompson
    - Mark Gasnier
    - Matt Cooper
    - Luke Bailey
    - Trent Barrett

So therefore it will most probably if it is one of them be Thompson, unless they release both Sims and Poore or Henderson, then they can come to the GC in 07..

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog_Titan311
    Nope, there isn't enough money from that.. reports down here from Radio Station 2KY stated that on Sunday it would have to be from their super six...

those being.. and you would be well aware....

- Jason Ryles
    - Lance Thompson
    - Mark Gasnier
    - Matt Cooper
    - Luke Bailey
    - Trent Barrett

So therefore it will most probably if it is one of them be Thompson, unless they release both Sims and Poore or Henderson, then they can come to the GC in 07..
    dam. that super 6 has served us well.

Titan CEO

Lets not forget that the dragons have lost Bryan Norrie, Nick Youngquest,Willie Manu , and Albert Torrens. Thats not ALOT of money there but its a decent amount of money...so if they did get rid of sims and a couple of young guys then they could fit under...or mabybe just release 1 of the "super 6".