Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Tri-Nations: Refreshed Lockyer set to lead

Great news on our Test captain from The Australian newspaper as posted on www.foxsports.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by "Foxsports.com.au
    Refreshed Lockyer set to lead
    By Dan Koch and Brent Read
    October 3, 2005

TEST captain Darren Lockyer has dismissed calls for him to bypass the Tri-Nations tournament in favour of an extended rest, saying he has not felt fresher at the end of a season for years.

After watching Brisbane crash out of this year's NRL finals series, former Test skipper Gorden Tallis said Lockyer appeared "worn out" after several gruelling seasons lengthened by finals, State of Origin and Test football.

However, Lockyer, who will today be named to captain the 23-man Australia squad, said he had given no thought to missing the games against New Zealand and Great Britain next month.

Lockyer was feeling "as good as I have in a very long time" after missing three matches at the end of the year with a hamstring strain.

"I'm actually really looking forward to it," Lockyer said. "Obviously it's a huge honour to play for your country any chance you get, but from a personal point of view I am feeling really fresh.

"I didn't play much footy in the last six weeks of the competition because of injury and I have had a bit of a break since we got knocked out of the finals, so there's no tiredness at all."

Despite the return of halfback Andrew Johns to the line-up for the first time in three years, Lockyer said he expected the Kangaroos to be tested by England and New Zealand.

But in an ominous warning for the Lions and Kiwis, Lockyer also suggested he was desperately keen to get back in the winners' circle after Brisbane bowed out of the NRL premiership race.

"It was a pretty disappointing end to the club year for me," Lockyer said.

"It's been a while since I had a win so I'm pretty keen to get out and end that run. But it'll be a very tough series, just like it was last year.
    "All three squads have a few blokes out because of injury, as you'd expect after a long season of footy, but the depth in England and New Zealand has improved a lot recently.

"Test football has improved every year since I've been playing and I don't think this year will be any different."

While loyalty to the players who were part of Australia's outstanding series win in England last year will play a big part in the make-up of coach Wayne Bennett's squad, selectors are also likely to find room to reward grand final sides North Queensland and Wests Tigers.

Cowboys duo Matt Sing and Matt Bowen are certain to tour. Back rower Luke O'Donnell and five-eighth Johnathan Thurston are expected to come into the mix.

For the Tigers, fullback Brett Hodgson and prop John Skandalis are in contention, although Bennett's commitment to his incumbents will be a difficult obstacle for both to overcome.

Despite calling for Skandalis to be chosen in front of him, Bulldogs giant Willie Mason is expected to tour, as is Panthers captain Craig Gower, despite their respective clubs' indifferent year.

The Kiwis are poised to name Tigers pair Benji Marshall and Dene Halatua in their 40-man squad despite Tigers coach Tim Sheens insisting both will undergo shoulder operations following last night's grand final.

New Zealand coach Brian McClennan's initial squad will include no England-based players, with players such as Ali Lauitiiti, Lesley Vainikolo, Shontayne Hape and Robbie Paul to be added for the northern matches.

"I'm hoping to get a bit of an indication from Benji and Dene tomorrow before we name it," McClennan said. "If we don't get hold of them we will name them and find out afterwards."

Australia squad (probable): Anthony Minichiello, Matt Sing, Mark Gasnier, Matt Cooper, Matt King, Darren Lockyer (captain), Andrew Johns, Petero Civoniceva, Danny Buderus, Jason Ryles, Craig Fitzgibbon, Nathan Hindmarsh, Ben Kennedy, Luke Bailey, Trent Barrett, Craig Gower, Luke O'Donnell, Matt Bowen, Steve Price, Willie Mason, Luke Rooney, Brent Tate, Steve Simpson.

The Australian

Looking at the 'probable' squad as listed above, not one Tigers player though three Cowboys. I can see the headlines now

I would not take Mason, he has had a poor season all-round and a notable absentee is Craig Wing from the Roosters.

DeeGan

I can't believe Luke Rooney is in the squad. Didn't see any of him this year!

WTF Rooney and Mason???

In the immortal words of one Miss Hanson - Please Explain???

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

Mason doesnt deserve to be there, he only played a handfull of games this season and did nothing for test spot. And based on form Matt Bowen should be fullback with Minichiello as back up.

Have to disagree there. Mini has been outstanding in a crap team. Bowen has been good but has also been known to go missing in important games. Mini is the incumbent and the only person I would replace him with is if they move Locky back there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakink
    WTF Rooney and Mason???

In the immortal words of one Miss Hanson - Please Explain???
    Please Explain indeed. Luckily this is only a prediction of the squad. The selectors (hopefully) won't go for incumbancy and pick those 2.

Bowen has been good but has also been known to go missing in important games.
    If your refering to state of origin game 3, it wasnt just Bowen missing but the entire team Minichiello has been in a poor team all year, and perhaps a longer break will make him a better player for next year. Bowen deserves his chance to run on with the kangaroos, and just because Mini is the incumbent does not mean that he should be there. Cause if that rule applied then Brett Kimmorely would be in the team, but i dont see that happening

Bowen also went mising in the GF qualifier last year...

He had a good game yesterday though. Not good enough to oust Mini who has been week in week out awesome in a below par team. Plus Kimmorley has been playing lihe crap and wasnt the true incumbent. He was just marking time till Johns came back.

That was last year though, we are all one year older and wiser for it Lets settle with starting with Mini and then if he doesnt perform (which i think will happen) then bring in Bowen and give Mini a free English holiday

Quote Originally Posted by DeeGan
    TEST captain Darren Lockyer has dismissed calls for him to bypass the Tri-Nations tournament in favour of an extended rest, saying he has not felt fresher at the end of a season for years
    Great news for Lockyer fans as I was one who believed Lockyer was losing interest. I actually wanted to see Barrett get a run in front of him.
    If he is keen then I suppose he gets the green light.

Watching him at his best outside Johns will be great to see.

Tigers did a great job on Bowen yesterday.
    I think he was nervous...why didn't he get out of his own in goal, at the start of the game?

He officially hasn't even made the squad. The squad has been released. Look at my thread 'Official Tri-Nations squad'

Titans Rep Player [BroncosGirl]'s Avatar

Glad Locky is captain
    Brisbane Broncos
    Oooooh Yeh, Yow Yeh!!!
    titans.bulldogs

everybody dances to their own boom boom

i have a feeling lockyer might revel with johns and co and this will be his best tri nations yet,for his sake i hope he silences the critics,for the kiwis and pommy's sake well i hope he silences the critics