This is a good article I just read on Nrl.com...
Life minus Webcke 'seamless' for Broncos
Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 6:36 PM

Life after Shane Webcke will be "seamless" for the Brisbane Broncos according to a man who should know.

Retired warhorse Webcke said on Wednesday Brisbane's forward depth - including "superstar in the making" David Taylor - would ensure the former Test prop's absence would not be felt for long.

It's a major call considering Webcke was considered the NRL's top prop when he drew the curtain on a glittering career after a fairytale 2006 premiership win.

Webcke has been an interested observer as the Broncos kick-start its 2007 program and count down to a much-anticipated World Club Challenge showdown with Super League champions St Helens next month.

And he likes what he sees.

"My time is gone and someone else is going to step in there. It will be relatively seamless to be honest based on the talent we've got there," he said.

"Someone will step up - we have a lot of choice there."

Webcke's confidence appears justified after looking at Taylor, an 18-year-old, 115kg, 185cm forward who can cover 100 metres in 13 seconds.

The former Australian Schoolboy made his NRL debut off the bench in 2006 but has already been tipped for big things by a gushing Webcke.

"He's a superstar in the making. You look at him at training and the glimpses of play we've seen - in years to come he will be a very very big name in the game," he said.

"God gave him more than he gave the rest of us in terms of the size, power and speed he's got.

"Plenty of blokes have got all the attributes but they don't produce because of their attitude but he (Taylor) has certainly got that."

Webcke also believed much maligned forward Dane Carlaw would step up in 2007.

The now infamous "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" jibe from ex-Test prop Greg Dowling had haunted Carlaw until he made the simple decision to relax and start enjoying his football in 2006.

"He had been accused in the past of looking the goods but it's not all happening for him on the football field," Webcke said.

"But last year he changed himself a lot off the field and that really helped him.

"I think he will go along in leaps and bounds this year and in his eyes become more of the consistent footballer he wants to be.

"He's been a wonderful asset to the club. But I think he's certainly looking at taking his game to a whole new level and sustain that this year."

Webcke said Petero Civoniceva and Brad Thorn would become senior role models for the young forward brigade.

Webcke will travel with Brisbane for the February 23 WCC clash and believed the Broncos would go close to doing what an NRL club has not done since 2003 - beat a Super League side.

"It's a trial as such, we never play our best football when we play trials - who does?" he said.

"But they are not going over there to treat it as an overseas jaunt - if they don't win it they will certainly go close."

www.nrl.com