Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Barrett to sign 3 year deal with Wigan

I just heard on the news Trent Barrett is expected to announce he has signed a 3 year deal with UK club Wigan.

he also said nothing will be finalised until the june 30 deadline

sigh his waiting to gaz to tell the public his leaveing/going so he know if he would be able to get a pay increase i rkn
    *** him i rkn, WE LOVE HEAD
    Last edited by Dakink; 04-05-06 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Innapropriate Language

Barrett trades Dragons for Wigan
    By Brent Read
    May 4, 2006

LANCE Thompson yesterday spoke of his fondness for his former club St George-Illawarra as his former Dragons co-captain Trent Barrett prepared to announce he was leaving the club at the end of the season to join English giant Wigan.

Barrett, the Dragons's captain, has scheduled a press conference for today where he is expected to confirm he has exercised a clause in his contract which allows him to leave the club at the end of 2006.

His imminent departure, and a likely rise in the salary cap to $4 million, opens the way for the Dragons to raise their offer to centre Mark Gasnier, who is being wooed by the Australian Rugby Union.

Barrett is the highest paid player a

Well it is confirmed and done...

This is a continuation of the article Patske put up... their post was cut off..

Barrett trades Dragons for Wigan
    By Brent Read
    May 4, 2006

LANCE Thompson yesterday spoke of his fondness for his former club St George-Illawarra as his former Dragons co-captain Trent Barrett prepared to announce he was leaving the club at the end of the season to join English giant Wigan.

Barrett, the Dragons's captain, has scheduled a press conference for today where he is expected to confirm he has exercised a clause in his contract which allows him to leave the club at the end of 2006.

His imminent departure, and a likely rise in the salary cap to $4 million, opens the way for the Dragons to raise their offer to centre Mark Gasnier, who is being wooed by the Australian Rugby Union.

Barrett is the highest paid player at St George Illawarra, a mantle which will be taken up by Gasnier if he decides to remain in the NRL and accept a deal expected to be worth about $500,000 a season to stay.

Former team-mate Thompson, who left the club at the end of last season, is loving life at Cronulla - and the feeling is mutual.

Sharks officials are so pleased with his form they are poised to open negotiations with a view to extending his contract beyond this season.

After an ugly divorce from the Dragons, Thompson and Cronulla have been a match made in heaven.

"I've really been enjoying my footy, which is something that has probably been missing the last couple of years," Thompson said yesterday in the lead-up to Sunday's game against his old club at Toyota Park. "With the way the Sharks play, I was always going to fit in. I'm a team player and that's all I ever wanted to be.

"Some people said I wasn't that but it's quite the opposite. I've fitted in well and the way the boys at the Sharks have accepted me has been tremendous."

Even so, Thompson still holds a soft spot for the Dragons. He was a St George junior, then played 201 first grade games with the club before his time came to an inglorious end.

Thompson fell out with senior club officials late last year, the precursor to an acrimonious departure.

He finished up joining the Dragons's local rival and his form has been outstanding. Thompson has appeared in the Sharks's opening eight games and leads the club in hit-ups and running metres.

He's also won over his teammates with his passion and desire, commodities the 28-year-old has traded on his entire career.

"He's brought hunger," acting captain and halfback Adam Dykes said. "When he arrived on day one he struggled a little bit to get used to the new environment but after a week or so he jumped straight into it. He's been our best trainer and I think he's been our best player all year."

Cronulla chief executive Greg Pierce confirmed he was ready to open negotiations with Thompson's manager Khoder Nasser.

"I had discussions with Lance this morning," Pierce said.

"I asked if he was interested in staying. He said he was happy, he would love to stay."

Thompson is keen to produce another big performance on Sunday. He has fond memories of his days in a Dragons shirt and stands behind only Barrett in the number of first grade games played for the joint venture club.

"I'll probably always be a Dragons fan, no matter who I play for," Thompson said.

Even so, his allegiance now lies with the Sharks, and that spells danger for St George Illawarra.

"There's not too many nerves," he said. "The games are always fiery, the crowds always big. The local derby is the type of game you always look forward to. This time I'm on the other side.

"This week all I've got to focus on is my own game and what I've been doing since the start of the season, which is concentrate on my footy and try to make sure the Sharks get a win."

Parramatta has tabled an offer for centre Jamie Lyon, who walked out on the club one match into the 2004 season.

Lyon is playing in England with St Helens and his manager met Eels officials yesterday.

The Australian
    I wish Trent all the best of luck with that... you have been of great service to the NRL over the years and I have really enjoyed watching you play...

Good Luck in England and thanks for some great memories, I know you will wow them over there, and you and Bryan Fletcher will ensure Wigan are a powerhouse in season 2007...

Titan First Grade Regular Eel 33's Avatar

All the best Barrett, won't be missing ya.

Titan CEO

Never been a fan of Barret. Over-rated IMO....will fit right in over in England.

Default shaven

Quote Originally Posted by super cronk
    Never been a fan of Barret. Over-rated IMO....will fit in over in England.
    I agree 100%, make sure its a one way ticket Trent!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by shavenjas
    I agree 100%, make sure its a one way ticket Trent!!!!!!!!!!!
    I got a one way ticket to Calcutta to give away, it yours if you want it

Titan CEO

Quote Originally Posted by Dragons
    I got a one way ticket to Calcutta to give away, it yours if you want it
    Maybe Barret would like that also? He still wouldnt be near the top 5/8's in the calcutta comp.

Quote Originally Posted by super cronk
    Maybe Barret would like that also? He still wouldnt be near the top 5/8's in the calcutta comp.
    And I though you had some interlect super cronk but alas you show poor judgement. You said in one thread about silly remarks but gee man that is so so aghhhh I'm a ****** man, get outa here dude :whatd:

Titan CEO

Quote Originally Posted by Dragons
    And I though you had some interlect super cronk but alas you show poor judgement. You said in one thread about silly remarks but gee man that is so so aghhhh I'm a ****** man, get outa here dude :whatd:

If you think that comment wasnt tongue in cheek then maybe we should be questioning your "interlect".

Titan First Grade Regular Eel 33's Avatar

See ya Barrett, enjoy the bitterly cold english winters and the non existant summers.

Titan First Grade Regular

Good luck to Barrett, least he is joining the team i go for.cya.

I think Barrett is oging to absolutely kill them over there.... Here in AUS he had alot of quality opposition in fromt of him which hindered his performances... but now that he is heading to a weaker competition... he will absolutely kill them!

(Well DUH lol)