Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dakink
    *shudders* I feel dirty - I agree with QLD'er..... :curse: :curse:
    We should all be friends at this time as its OUR country being represented...not individual states....just give it a couple of weeks and you can be as dirty as you want

The Kangaroos jersey is all about pride for your country and love for your game. I'll never cheer against them. Kangaroos all the way!
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD
    The Kangaroos jersey is all about pride for your country and love for your game. I'll never cheer against them. Kangaroos all the way!
    Yeah thats right! And if the Aussies win we can eat a Kangaroo in celebration......now that is Aussie way of celebrating!

A bit more info and reactions on the selection of Hunt in the side.

Mini ruled out, Hunt to debut
    By Daniel Pace and Adrian Proszenko
    May 1, 2006

THE selection of New Zealand-born fullback Karmichael Hunt for Australia has caused outrage on several fronts following the controversial omission of North Queensland counterpart Matt Bowen for the Anzac Test in Brisbane on Friday.

Hunt will make his Test debut for Australia at the Brisbane fullback's home ground, Suncorp Stadium, after Sydney Roosters No.1 Anthony Minichiello was ruled out with a lower back injury today.

The Kiwis were publicly saying "good luck" to Hunt at their Gold Coast camp today but many are planning to give the teenager a hostile reception in what is expected to be a fast and physical Test.

"I'm expecting quite a bit, even the dirty stuff," Hunt said in Sydney today.

Cowboys chief executive Peter Parr was shocked at Bowen's omission from the squad after the diminutive fullback toured with the Kangaroos for last year's Tri-Nations tournament, won by the Kiwis.

"I'd hate to think that Saturday cost him a jersey," Parr said, referring to Bowen's poor game in the Cowboys' loss to the Roosters.

"If (the Kangaroos) had been picked a fortnight ago after the Newcastle game, I doubt whether he would have missed out."

Hunt's selection provides a clear sign that Australia coach Ricky Stuart wants size in his squad to combat the likes of giant Kiwi backs Tame Tupou and Jake Webster.

Meanwhile, New Zealand halfback Thomas Leuluai criticised Hunt for failing to declare his allegiance to the Kiwis or Australia until the Kangaroos selectors forced his hand.

"He changes his mind a bit too much for my liking," the Harlequins No.7, who has the enormous job of replacing the retired Stacey Jones, said.

"He's either a Kiwi or he's not.

"Like everyone here (at camp on the Gold Coast), we're all Kiwis and we all want to play.

"I think (Kiwi coach Brian McClennan) stresses that point a lot, about us playing for each other.

"If you've got someone thinking about playing in the green and gold jersey, then he's not meant to be here."

The Kiwis had hoped Hunt would choose the black and white jersey following Jones's retirement, which exposed a lack of depth in the halves.

Hunt, 19, always expressed his desire to play State of Origin for Queensland, which would have made him ineligible to represent New Zealand, but he admitted today the Australia selectors made his decision easier to make.

"They took the decision away from me and made the decision for me," he said.

"Obviously there'd been a bit of speculation a few months back that I was going to change my mind and play for New Zealand, but I stuck to my original decision and it's paid off."

Kiwi star Benji Marshall was disappointed by Hunt's decision after a personal campaign to persuade Auckland-born player to pledge his allegiance to New Zealand.

"I was a little bit surprised and disappointed at the same time," Marshall, who makes his return from a dislocated shoulder on Friday, said.

"I've said it before, everyone makes up their own mind and he has to live with the decision."

Asked if Hunt might be targeted by the Kiwis early in the match, McClennan quipped: "Not in the early moments, the whole game."

"It's interesting, it's kind of funny really.

"He's been here four to five years and he feels he's an Australian.

"Well good luck to him.

"The irony of it all is that it wasn't long ago that it was whether he would play for New Zealand and now he plays for Australia."

Cairns-born Brent Webb, who faced the same dilemma before choosing to debut for the Kiwis in 2004, could see the irony in the situation.

"It's a bizarre thing, probably a first," Webb said.

"I don't think it's ever happened and I don't know if it'll happen again."

AAP

Quote Originally Posted by Queenslander
    Asked if Hunt might be targeted by the Kiwis early in the match, McClennan quipped: "Not in the early moments, the whole game."

"It's interesting, it's kind of funny really.

"He's been here four to five years and he feels he's an Australian.

"Well good luck to him.
    It's on! The Kiwis will not hold back

I can understand to a degree where Hunt is coming from.

I played Water Polo to a State level. Our area was considered part of NSW when I was in the NSW u15s and first year of school age opens, then second year of school age opens we where relocated to QLD - hence we had to represent QLD. That was tough to do - wear a big dirty red Q on our clothes, I had to bath for a week to get the stench of my skin...

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

Looks like Hunt is in for a fiery night;

'He'll wish he played for us'
    By Steve Mascord
    May 2, 2006

NEW Zealand players last night lined up Karmichael Hunt for choosing Australia over the Kiwis, with second rower Frank Pritchard declaring "just wait for the Test - he'll wish he played for us".

The Kiwis were stunned by the Auckland-born fullback's selection as Anthony Minichiello's replacement yesterday.

Just three weeks ago, Hunt again turned down the chance to play for the country of his birth.

The Kiwis made it clear the Brisbane custodian would feel their wrath at Suncorp Stadium, with winger Jake Webster saying: "He's made his bed - now he's got to lie in it."

Asked how his players felt about Hunt, 19, playing against them, New Zealand coach Brian McClennan said: "Karmichael's got to find that out for himself on Friday night."

Penrith's Pritchard told The Daily Telegraph: "I said to (McClennan): I'm Australian born -- I'm more Australian than him. He came over here when he was 14. If he feels like he's Australian, what can I say? He's forgotten his roots.

"Just wait for the Test - he'll wish he played for us."

The Kiwis learned of Hunt's inclusion when McClennan got a text message while on the mini-bus back from training at Burleigh Heads on the Gold Coast late yesterday morning.

"Most of the guys just started laughing," McClennan said..

Advertisement:
    "It's just the way it is, isn't it? He's going to have enormous amounts of pressure on him.

"We would have been looking to put pressure on Minichiello but if the guys get the chance to put a big tackle on Karmichael, of course they're going to do it."

Kiwi-born former Australia forward Brad Thorn was the subject of heavy treatment when he chose the green and gold over New Zealand, but Pritchard said Thorn had more right to call himself Australian than did Hunt.

"Thorn, he's done a lot, he played for the All Blacks as well," the 22 year old said.

"He always said he wanted to play for (Australia). Fair enough, he went and did it. He played State of Origin for Queensland."

Kiwis star Benji Marshall said he tried to talk Hunt into playing for New Zealand.

"I'm a bit disappointed," Marshall said. "I've always expressed that I wanted him to come and play here. He's only been over here for five or six years."

Asked if Hunt could expect extra attention early in the game, McClennan told a media conference: "Not the early moments - the whole game.

"(But) he's allowed his choice. We've got (Cairns-born Brent Webb) playing for us, and he's proud to play for the Kiwis and we're proud to have him."

Webster added: "I didn't expect him to be called into the team. I thought there'd be a few before him.

"If the chance comes for one of us to get stuck into him a little bit, I'm sure we will."

Halfback Thomas Leuluai said: "I was pretty shocked."

The Daily Telegraph
    I personally dont blame them, I wonder how much of the selection was purely to rule Hunt out for the Kiwi's in the future?

About mid afternoon yesterday;

About 28,400 tickets had been sold for the Test by mid-afternoon yesterday.
    from http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.a...003409,00.html

Hunts reply;

Hunt faces 'kangaroo court'
    By Dean Ritchie
    May 2, 2006

AUSTRALIA and New Zealand greats have formed an unlikely alliance, to claim Karmichael Hunt should be playing for the Kiwis on Friday.- not the Kangaroos.

Hunt ... prepared for a rough reception. Pic: Brett Costello
    But our new Test fullback was defiant, declaring: "I'm an Australian."

Hunt flew to Sydney early yesterday to join the Australian team camp after Anthony Minichiello withdrew due to a lower back injury.

Minichiello was cleared on Sunday, but he experienced back pain that evening and Australian Rugby League officials contacted Hunt at 10pm Sunday night to announce he had become Australia's latest Kangaroo.

However, many league identities on both sides of the Tasman are angry, claiming Hunt - who was born in New Zealand and lived there until he was 11 - should represent New Zealand.

"It's up to him whether he can put his hand on his heart and sing the national anthem," former New Zealand coach Graham Lowe said.

"I don't understand how anyone wouldn't want to play for the country where they were born."

Ex-Kangaroos halfback Tom Raudonikis added: "He's a Kiwi and he's playing for Australia."

Hunt admitted he was expecting a torrid time against his countrymen in the Suncorp Stadium Test match.

"I'm expecting quite a bit, even the dirty stuff," he said.

"We'll see what happens."

The Brisbane fullback revealed he had only ever harboured a dream of representing Australia, before saying that he understood why some Kiwis would be angry.

"There was a bit of speculation a few months back about whether I would change my mind and play for New Zealand," Hunt said.

"But I have stuck to my original decision and it's paid off. The selectors made the decision for me."

Asked would it feel strange having a New Zealand passport but Australian Test jumper, Hunt said: "Yes and no. But I feel like an Australian.

"I've been over here most of my high school years and played all my senior football over here.

"My parents are on my side. Whatever I want to do, they will be happy."

The Daily Telegraph

Roos to do their own targeting;

Roos vow to batter Benji
    By James Hooper
    May 2, 2006

AUSTRALIA has hatched a plan to pressure New Zealand playmaker Benji Marshall by targeting the Kiwi pivot's troublesome right shoulder in the trans-Tasman Test.

Marshall will return to the Test arena just 28 days after doctors feared the light-stepping five-eighth's season was over.

With the Kangaroos desperate to atone after the embarrassing 24-0 Tri-Nations defeat last November, Marshall must brace for a torrid time after Australia revealed a plan to pepper the Kiwi wildcard.

"It's a big risk for Benji," Kangaroos lock Ben Kennedy said.

"If he comes out and gets injured early and can't play for the rest of the game then he's let his teammates down.

"I'm pretty sure he must think he can get through the game if he plays, but we'll certainly be testing that out."

Kangaroos vice-captain Danny Buderus predicted the Kiwis would attempt to lighten Marshall's workload by camouflaging the star playmaker on the wing.

But Buderus suggested Australia would attempt to isolate a number of the Kiwis' key personnel by targeting them with a heavy defensive workload.

"They've got great go-forward, a strike player in Sonny Bill (Williams) and then more attacking potency in Benji - so it's going to be a big defensive night for us," Buderus said.

"We've got to run at all the dangerous players to try and tire them out.

"Benji is probably going to defend out on the wing so it's hard to run traffic at him but we've got some good players out there and we'll run some of them at him."

In an alarming sign for Marshall, the Kiwi pivot has suffered five shoulder injuries in the past two years.

The latest dislocation occurred against grand finalists North Queensland in Townsville on April 7 with doctors fearing Marshall's season was in jeopardy.

But the Wests Tigers star has since been cleared, making the brave decision to play on before undergoing surgery at the end of this season.

Recalled Kangaroos back rower Steve Menzies, who played his last Test for Australia in October 2002, supported the push to target Marshall.

"If you're not sure if someone is 100 per cent and it's his shoulder then you put a bit of traffic at him," Menzies said.

"But in saying that if I was their coach you'd put him somewhere where he was hard to get at."

Preparing to play his farewell Test for the Kangaroos on Friday, Kennedy opened up about the demons still haunting him from last November.

"We got flogged - it was a pretty ordinary feeling after the game," Kennedy said.

"Australia's been dominant for 20-odd years and to be part of the team that got beat and wreck that record was very disappointing.

"It something that eats away at you a bit so hopefully we can put that to bed this year."

The Daily Telegraph

Some reasons for Hunts inclusion for the team from the Courier Mail

http://thecouriermail.news.com.au/st...003409,00.html

Morris, who is also a Test selector, revealed Bowen and Wesser had featured prominently in debate about the replacement for Anthony Minichiello, who was ruled out of the clash with New Zealand yesterday with a lower back problem.

Minichiello faces an extended period on the sidelines. Test coach Ricky Stuart, who is also his coach at the Sydney Roosters, said the 25-year-old's playing future could be jeopardised if he returned to football prematurely.

It is believed Stuart wanted Hunt for the values he brings to the team rather the fact he is the NRL's form fullback, a reference to the combination Hunt has with Australian five-eighth Darren Lockyer at the Broncos.

In addition to Bowen and Wesser, St George Illawarra's Ben Hornby and Melbourne's Greg Inglis also came under the microscope on Sunday when it became apparent Minichiello was in trouble.

Morris spoke to Queensland coach Mal Meninga yesterday about the implications of Hunt's Test selection for Australia.

"We'll just look at form when Origin comes around and go from there," Morris said later.

"From a Queensland point of view there are five or six blokes who are very close.

"Rhys Wesser did a good job in the series that he played (in 2004). In fact he did such a good job he was considered last night.

"What we're after from a Queensland point of view are form players.

"I spoke to Mal about it this morning and he is about picking a team on form ? and that's taking nothing away from Karmichael. He's got the job and good luck to him. I hope he goes really well."

It is understood Billy Slater would have replaced Minichiello had he not been suspended.

Bowen's father Richard last night spoke out against the decision to overlook his son.

"That's sad, sad, sad . . . very sad," Bowen Sr said. "I'm very upset. I don't think Matty has been given a fair go. It's a smack in the face. Someone must have very bitter feelings against Matty from somewhere down the track.

"Who would have thought Karmichael Hunt was going to be picked? He was a Kiwi a month ago."

Hunt said it was a huge honour to be chosen for Australia although he understood some people in New Zealand might be upset.

"But I feel like I'm an Australian," he said. "I've done my high school years here and played all my senior football here. It's going to be a proud moment for me on Friday."

Hunt's Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett said yesterday he was delighted the teenager had been selected for Friday's Test.

"I'm pleased for him that he stuck to his beliefs and it has paid off for him," Bennett said.

Good luck to him.

I find it amusing that the Kiwi's are making a big deal out of this suggesting he 'has made his bed, he has to lie in it' blah blah blah...this BS sells papers, attracts attention, though won't win you the game.

If I am a kiwi, I am more concerned with ensuring I am focused at the job at hand. The Aussies were embarassed in the final last season, they are coming with a fire in their belly that if not contained will end up a 50-0 hiding.

What's done is done, Hunt has continually stated his intention in wanting to represent QLD, he skipped that, has gone straight to the top of the mountain with the injury to Mini. Get over it. I would be more concerned with the shoulder of Marshall than the selection of Hunt - perhaps a welcomed smoke screen from McClennan? I think so.

Can't wait for Friday night

The only goodside to Matt Bowen's lack of selection is that he will be fired up to prove the selectors wrong. He will go off like a fire-cracker in the next few weeks and State of Origin is just around the corner.....

Bowen omission slammed
    By Josh Massoud
    May 2, 2006

THE father of Kangaroo discard Matt Bowen has slammed Karmichael Hunt's selection as a "kick in the backside" and a "smack in the face".

After famously cheering his son's golden-point intercept in the Origin opener last year, Richard Bowen was last night livid when told his son had been overlooked in favour of the untried 19-year-old.

"That's sad, sad, sad ... very sad," Bowen Sr told The Daily Telegraph from his remote Hope Vale property in Far North Queensland.

"I'm very upset. I don't think Matty has been given a fair go.

"I think it's a smack in the face. Someone must have very bitter feelings against Matty from somewhere down the track.

"Who would have thought Karmichael Hunt was going to be picked? He was a Kiwi last month."

Bowen Sr's doubts over Hunt's credentials were yesterday backed by a Daily Telegraph investigation into the 2006 form of the NRL's best fullbacks.

Of 18 statistical categories used to measure their game, Hunt did not top one.

According to NRL Stats, Parramatta's Wade McKinnon rated No.1 over the first eight weeks.

But Bowen - widely tipped to build on his solitary Test appearance in the event of Anthony Minichiello being unavailable - headed five categories including try assists and line-break assists.

"He can dodge and weave out of the blocks. He's a one in a million," Bowen Sr said.

"I never heard about Karmichael Hunt in the squad. There was Matty and Minichiello ... it's a kick in the backside really."

To make matters worse, the incumbent Queensland fullback had already made plans to fly his dad to Brisbane for the first time since last year's Origin.

"He has been looking forward to this since he was a kid. He said, 'I'm going to be like Allan Langer' and now his dream is shattered,"

Bowen Sr said. "He will be cut up. He will be bitter."

The Daily Telegraph

Smile

I feel very deeply for Karmichael Hunt.Alot of elite athletes change the nation that they represent{tennis players,olympians etc.} He is only 19, and feels as though he is very much an Aussie, spending eight years making Oz his home....The Kiwi's should be spending their time trying to figure out how they can possibly beat us{not likely} instead of trying to making the Aussies nervous.{that's really funny}.

To me, home is where the heart is....obviously Karmichael's heart belongs to Oz...So advice to the Kiwi's....stop crying and start lacing up your boots,you have alot of catching up to do to get ready for the Aussie onslaught. GO AUSSIES

Kite flies in as Kangaroos cover
    May 2, 2006

MANLY front rower Brent Kite has been called into the Australia squad ahead of Friday night's Anzac Test against New Zealand.

Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart today requested an 18th man be added to the squad to "cover all bases" for the Test.

Kite, 25, will join the team when it flies to Brisbane tomorrow morning for the one-off Test at Suncorp Stadium.

"It's normal procedure these days to have an extra player on hand in the event of any illness or training mishap," ARL chief executive Geoff Carr said today.

"It's a professional approach, a matter of covering all contingencies."

AAP