Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Default Bundy Rum Test Match: Australia vs New Zealand

Australia vs New Zealand
    Friday, 5th May 2006: 7:30pm
    Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane

AUSTRALIA:
    1) Karmichael Hunt (Broncos) (Anthony Minichiello Ruled Out)
    2) Matt King (Storm)
    3) Mark Gasnier (Dragons)
    4) Matt Cooper (Dragons)
    5) Timana Tahu (Eels)
    6) Darren Lockyer (Broncos, captain)
    7) Andrew Johns (Knights)
    8) Willie Mason (Bulldogs)
    9) Danny Buderus (Knights)
    10) Petero Civoniceva (Broncos)
    11) Luke O'Donnell (Cowboys)
    12) Nathan Hindmarsh (Eels)
    13) Ben Kennedy (Sea Eagles).
    Interchange:
    14) Johnathan Thurston (Cowboys)
    15) Mark O'Meley (Bulldogs)
    16) Steve Menzies (Sea Eagles)
    17) Steve Simpson (Knights)
    18) Brent Kite (Sea Eagles)

NEW ZEALAND:
    1) Brent Webb
    2) Jake Webster
    3) Clinton Toopi
    4) Paul Whatuira
    5) Tame Tupou
    6) Nigel Vagana
    7) Benji Marshall
    8) Jason Cayless
    9) David Faiumu
    10) Ruben Wiki (captain)
    11) David Kidwell
    12) Louis Anderson
    13) Sonny Bill Williams.
    Interchange:
    14) Thomas Leuluai
    15) David Fa'alogo
    16) Roy Asotasi
    17) Frank Pritchard

Referee: Ashley Klein

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Tickets: http://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows...f-943e9ede939d

And Join the Roo Crew!: http://www.kangarooarmy.com/
    Last edited by Queenslander; 03-05-06 at 08:13 PM.

well done. was just looking for that haha. menzies? what the?

Bowen to answer SOS
    By Phil Rothfield
    April 30, 2006

NORTH Queensland sensation Matt Bowen is poised for a last-minute call-up for the Anzac Test as Australia fullback Anthony Minichiello races the clock to be fit.

The Sunday Telegraph can reveal Bowen has been placed on standby for Minichiello, who is in doubt for the trans-Tasman showdown with a hamstring problem.

He will be chosen as an extra player when the team is announced tonight and will fly to Sydney to go into camp with the squad.

Should the star Rooster be ruled out, Bowen will be handed his second Test cap after making his debut on the 2004 Tri-Nations tour.

Bowen, 24, has been in slashing form, highlighted by a brilliant solo try that sank the Knights in the round six top-of-the-table contest.

Test selectors last night remained tight-lipped about the move, but The Sunday Telegraph columnist Ricky Stuart has approached the selectors asking for a standby player.

Bowen has no fear of the pressure of representative football. He won Queensland the opening State of Origin clash last season after intercepting a Brett Kimmorley pass in extra-time.

The selectors believe Bowen's pace and footwork would torment the big New Zealand forwards.

The Kiwis are expected to pick British-based Lesley Vainikolo, Thomas Leuluai, Motu Tony and David Solomona in their squad, with Warriors lock Louis Anderson holding off a host of challengers for a starting berth.

But the unexpected availability of Wests Tigers five-eighth Benji Marshall has created a new headache - where to fit him in the side.

David Faiumu, Solomona, Sonny Bill Williams and Roy Asotasi were all thought to be pencilled in for bench spots.

One of them will miss out.

It may well be Wakefield's Solomona, who may find he has flown around the world to be a spectator.

Reports in Auckland suggested that Bradford's Shontayne Hape was unavailable because he promised his girlfriend he would remain in Britain.

The Kiwis had trouble opening the e-mail attachment with the Wests Tigers' clearance for Marshall on Friday. But it's thought Marshall might still start, despite his club's insistence he be named on the bench.

The Sunday Telegraph

This was my final team;

1 - Anthony Minichiello
    2 - Timana Tahu
    3 - Mark Gasnier
    4 - Justin Hodges
    5 - Matt King
    6 - Darren Lockyer (c)
    7 - Andrew Johns (or Thurston if Johns is not fit)
    8 - Mark O'Meley
    9 - Danny Buderus
    10 - Petero Civoniceva
    11 - Nathan Hindmarsh
    12 - Luke O'Donnell
    13 - Ben Kennedy

14 - Johnathon Thurston (or Mick Crocker if Johns injured)
    15 - Willie Mason
    16 - Luke Bailey
    17 - Steve Simpson/Steve Menzies
    Surprising to see Luke Bailey missed selection and the selectors opted for Mason to start ahead of O'Meley who was with Mason brilliant today.

Not much to not like about the side, the selectors have done a great job though I think Hodges on form would be there - Cooper will have a tough job for the remainder of 2006 to keep him out of the side. Can't wait for the Origin battle between those two.

The selection of Menzies is warranted, the veteran can cover just about any position and his form in a very good Manly side has been superb. Manly would be crazy not to resign him for at least two more seasons.

I am to put it mildly - extremely surprised at the ommision of Bailer. Perhaps the fact he is report has hindered his chances? His first game back from injury v Roosters was World Class, and was one of the first players to be picked according to the radio comentators.

The rest is pretty much as expected - they have gone for tried and true rep players. Hodges may be unlucky, but he will be there come tri-nations. Looking forward to SOO Hodges v Cooper!

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

Close deegan, well done.

I think they shoulda picked crocker ahead of menzies and i reckon mason and simpson should swap. but all in all its a decent team except for the fact either hodges or bell arent there.

Found out why Bailey wasnt chosen;

Already starved of in-form options in the front row, selectors lost another candidate today - with St George-Illawarra workhorse Luke Bailey not considered for selection due to rib cartilage and knee injuries sustained in last night's loss to Melbourne.

Quote Originally Posted by Queenslander
    Thomas Leuluai (London Harlequins)
    I thought that the kiwis couldn't get access to their players playing in England.

I can't really complain with that Australian team, although i would have prefered Hodges ahead of cooper.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallan
    I thought that the kiwis couldn't get access to their players playing in England.
    A few (and I mean few) of the clubs released players for the test.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallan
    I can't really complain with that Australian team, although i would have prefered Hodges ahead of cooper.
    Same I thought Hodges should have been in the side, but thats selectors for you. And hopefully Matty Bowen gets into the side and replaces Minichello, if Minichello is injured than we shouldn't risk it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers
    A few (and I mean few) of the clubs released players for the test.
    Okay, thanks for that.

QLD Cup Titan

Justin Hodges may well feel cheated if Gasnier, takes the money. Shame I can't be there but I gotta work!!!!

Hunt - I really really hope Mini gets there fine!

Karmichael in the hunt
    By Steve Ricketts
    May 1, 2006

NEW Zealand-born fullback Karmichael Hunt is a hamstring twinge away from making his Test debut for Australia against the Kiwis at Suncorp Stadium on Friday night.

Hunt yesterday leapfrogged North Queensland fullback Matt Bowen as the likely replacement for Sydney Roosters star Anthony Minichiello, who had to survive a fitness test on his suspect hamstring yesterday before being named Australia fullback.

Bowen was bombed out of Test calculations by Ricky Stuart's Sydney Roosters in Townsville on Saturday night when the Cowboys crashed to a shock 22-18 loss.

Cowboys playmaker Johnathan Thurston is the only squad debutant, joining Brisbane Broncos pair Darren Lockyer and Petero Civoniceva as the only Queenslanders.

Australia coach Stuart pinpointed Bowen as a weakness in Townsville and the diminutive Cowboys star was found wanting several times under the high ball.

Asked after the match about Bowen's performance, Stuart said: "All fullbacks struggle under those sort of high balls."

There is little doubt Stuart came away convinced Bowen would be a risk against the Kiwis and yesterday morning, before Minichiello's fitness test, there were intense discussions between the Test coach and selectors Des Morris and Les Geeves (Queensland), and Bob McCarthy and Bob Fulton (New South Wales).

The outcome was a decision to bring Hunt into camp as 18th man if there was any doubt over the fitness of Minichiello.

McCarthy said Minichiello's impressive hitout negated the need for an extra player. "Anthony's ready to roll," he said.

But if Minichiello should break down Hunt is set to get the call, which would be a massive show of faith in the 19 year old, who has yet to play State of Origin for Queensland and has been targeted by the Kiwis many times to turn out for the country of his birth.

Hunt, who has lived in Brisbane since he was 11, reiterated last month his intention to strive for Queensland and Australia selection.

While the Broncos and Cowboys share the NRL lead with Melbourne, selectors did not increase the Queensland representation.

Three players is the same number as last year when Australia lost the Tri-Nations final 24-0 to the Kiwis.

There are 10 survivors from that Australia side with Brent Tate, Jason Ryles and Craig Gower not considered because of injury while Trent Barrett, Craig Fitzgibbon, Craig Wing and Steve Price missed out.

McCarthy said the Queensland selectors had gone into bat for Broncos centre Justin Hodges, who he conceded was the unlucky omission with St George-Illawarra's Mark Gasnier and Matt Cooper getting the nod. Gasnier's possible defection to rugby union was not discussed by the selectors.

"They all picked themselves," McCarthy said. "The side is that strong we've left out players of the calibre of Wing and Fitzgibbon."

Asked about Thurston's selection, McCarthy said: "He's picked himself the way he's been playing. He's an ideal utility player."

On the omission of Wing, Stuart said: "I'm very happy with the team the selectors have chosen."

The Courier-Mail

I think Matt Bowen should be a little p###ed off to read the above - sure, he did not have his best game vs the Roosters though you cannot not fault his form in the previous 7 rounds of the competition. Surely one game does not have such an impact? Obviously it does and the selectors should give themselves an uppercut. Hunt is not ready for Test football nor is he good enough when looking at the fullbacks we have ahead of him.

I can only hope QLD selectors are not leaning toward Karmichael at the back for QLD come S.O.O.