Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Teegy
    Weel alot a talk about Inglis being a QLDs winger. what about wing for Australia?
    Mate I am his biggest fan though I don't think he will be considered. Two reasons;

1. Looking at 4 weeks on the sideline and

2. I don't think we need to blood him in this Test match to be truthful. Queensland, yes, Australia, no.

That's just me - he will be ready for the blues though

My team is;

1 - Anthony Minichiello
    2 - Timana Tahu
    3 - Mark Gasnier
    4 - Justin Hodges
    5 - Matt King
    6 - Darren Lockyer (c)
    7 - Andrew Johns (or Thurston if Johns is not fit)
    8 - Mark O'Meley
    9 - Danny Buderus
    10 - Steve Price (or Petero Civoniceva - I admit, if picked on form, he will be here)
    11 - Nathan Hindmarsh
    12 - Luke O'Donnell
    13 - Ben Kennedy

14 - Johnathon Thurston (or Mick Crocker if Johns injured)
    15 - Willie Mason
    16 - Steve Price/Petero Civoniceva
    17 - Steve Simpson/Steve Menzies

somebody mentioned Tame Tupou (broncos) yeah he's a Qiwi.

whoever suggested Amos Roberts, yeah i like the sound out that.

as for Cooper on teh wing, hmmm, remember last year in origin, his winger got injured and had to go off, but they put gaz on cooper's wing, and then menzies into centre. my point being, i don't think cooper likes the wing - but then again if it a choice between wing and not in team? but yeah cooper on wing very unlikely

Cooper doesnt like the wing, he is too good a centre, but he did start his first grade career on the wing for the Dragons.

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

My Team
    1 Lockyer
    2 Mini
    3 Gaz
    4 cooper
    5 Tahu
    6 Thurston
    7 Johns (C)
    8 Ryles
    9 Bederus
    10 Petro
    11 Hindmarsh
    12 Fitzy
    13 Kennedy

14 mason
    15 Omeley
    16 Menzies
    17 Bowen

Manly Warringah for Life but plenty of room to support my local team the Mighty mighty Titans

Timana Tahu WILL BE the winger.

I forgot all about him, he is a walk up starter to replace Matt Sing.

Matt sing has been in brilliant form. Should keep test spot.

Titan Club Captain

Pricey should be there for sure imo

Good point. Played a great great against bunnies

Titan CEO

Quote Originally Posted by brn2bwyld
    Matt sing has been in brilliant form. Should keep test spot.
    I read elsewhere that sing has retired from rep footy.

Default Front Row Battle.

A couple of good performances from Bailey and Ryles may be enough to get them into the team for the Test.

Selector wary of front-row depth
    By Stuart Honeysett
    April 24, 2006

NATIONAL selector Bob McCarthy said yesterday the battle for front-row positions in the Australian team was still wide open for the Anzac Test against New Zealand at Suncorp Stadium on May 5.

McCarthy's blunt assessment is good news for St George Illawarra props Jason Ryles and Luke Bailey, who are slated to make their returns from injury in the Anzac Day match against Sydney Roosters.

Former Test backrower McCarthy is part of a four-man selection panel which will convene next Monday to select the squad to try to avenge the Tri-Nations series loss to the Kiwis last year.

It was the first time in nearly 30 years the Kangaroos had lost a series.

McCarthy said there was plenty of competition for nearly every spot in the team as well as the front row, with Brisbane's Petero Civoniceva the only prop in good touch at the moment.

"We're a bit scarce in the front-row positions, that's one thing we're a bit wary of," McCarthy said.

"No-one's really standing out and saying, 'pick me', are they? They're having a go but no-one's really standing out and saying 'pick me'.

"This isn't an ordinary game. You play Test football you've got to play it hard. There's two weeks to go so we'll see what happens."

McCarthy will be at Aussie Stadium tomorrow for the Dragons-Roosters match and welcomed the news Bailey (knee) and Ryles (hand) were scheduled to play after missing a month with injuries.

Advertisement:
    Ryles has been named in the starting side while Bailey is expected to fill the vacant spot on the bench. Coach Nathan Brown is still to name a replacement following the suspension of Dean Young last week.

Both Ryles and Bailey are accomplished Test forwards but face competition in the front row from the Bulldogs's Mark O'Meley, Warriors's Steve Price, Newcastle's Josh Perry and Penrith's Joel Clinton, who have all been playing since the start of the season.

Selectors are keen to name a strong forward pack given the Kiwis will be solid up front with Ruben Wiki (Warriors), Jason Cayless (St Helens), Roy Asotasi (Bulldogs), Craig Smith (Newcastle) and Parramatta's Nathan Cayless to choose from.

"I'd have to see what type of game he plays but he's a world-class prop," McCarthy said of Bailey.

"The way footy is played these days they don't go 80 minutes any more, so if he runs out of nick we can replace him. We'll have a look at him because it's all hypothetical at the moment."

McCarthy will also check out the form of several other players tomorrow, including Dragons Mark Gasnier, Matt Cooper and Trent Barrett, and Sydney Roosters's Craig Fitzgibbon, Anthony Minichiello and Craig Wing.

The Australian
    You can rub out the cat Perry, though Price and O'Meley would be short priced to get the nod though. Clinton, I am still not sure - there is something about him that makes me hesitiate naming him in rep teams - not sure why...

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

Buderus will be the hooker, but i wonder why Smith is not option 2?

He is the second best hooker in the game today

Titan Club Captain

Quote Originally Posted by super cronk
    I read elsewhere that sing has retired from rep footy.
    I also read on the cowboys forum...

this i where the pick and choose thing came in as he said he was available for the test...

Joey may get Test spot, Hodges hopes dim
    Monday, April 24, 2006 - 7:50 PM

Andrew Johns looks set to overcome an ankle injury in time for a farewell representative appearance in Friday week's rugby league Test against New Zealand, but the chances of Justin Hodges playing alongside him are on the slide.

Johns, who visited Knights doctor Neil Halpin for a check-up on his injured ankle ligaments, is rated extremely doubtful for Sunday's clash with South Sydney at Telstra Stadium, while his outlook for the Test remains unclear.

"I don't know, it's two weeks away," Newcastle halfback Johns told Channel Seven of his Test prospects.

"I don't think I'll play this week, it's pretty sore still."

Halpin was a little more optimistic of Johns' Test chances, with the Australian squad to be chosen on Sunday night.

"It's a lot better than it was a week ago," Halpin said.

"It's still sore, it's still swollen. He'll have some more physio and we'll see how he pulls up at the end of the week.

"Andrew's happy that it's nothing serious ... he's happy that it's just a sprained ankle.

"He's walking quite freely, but it's one thing to be walking and it's another to be playing football, though I still think he'll be right for the Test match."

While Johns looks a likely starter, Hodges received no favours from new Australian coach Ricky Stuart, who called on Test selectors to show faith in incumbent centres Mark Gasnier and Matt Cooper for the May 5 encounter.

Hodges has been in scintillating form for Brisbane this season, but Stuart said the St George Illawarra pair had done nothing to warrant missing selection after playing in last year's Tri-Nation's final loss to New Zealand.

"I'm certainly a man who likes to live or die by loyalty, and my loyalties lie for Gasnier and Cooper," Stuart said.

"They done a great job for me last year in Origin, they've done a great job for Australia, and if their form has the selectors picking them, I know I've got two very loyal people there."

Stuart returned fire at Broncos and former Australian coach Wayne Bennett, who on Sunday claimed the Sydney Roosters mentor could overlook Hodges for the Test squad because of personal issues with the 23-year-old Bronco.

Hodges had a disappointing three-year spell under Stuart at the Roosters, and admits he hasn't spoken to his former coach since returning north of the border.

But Stuart denied he had anything against his former charger.

"You certainly don't have to be concerned with the loyalty I showed Justin Hodges, (I) probably (showed) too much at times," Stuart said.

"I find it amusing because certain people never talk to the media unless they have an agenda to run.

"I don't go by people wanting to run agendas, I just try and pick the best possible team whether it's for the Roosters or for Australia."

Meanwhile, Melbourne officials are confident injured pair Greg Inglis (knee) and Cooper Cronk (shoulder) will play in Saturday night's match against the Dragons at Olympic Park.

Inglis, who has been a revelation since replacing the suspended Billy Slater at fullback for the Storm, left the ground on crutches following Saturday night's big win over Newcastle.

Scans today cleared both of any structural damage, but the pair will continue to be monitored throughout the week.

Source: AAP