Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MonaroMan
    Mum's keeping my Wii in the cupboard until Christmas (I dunno why, maybe just to keep up the tradition of getting presents on Christmas day). Only 14 days to go, and I can experience the greatness of the console
    Trust me it'll be worth the wait, you'll appreciate it more. Playing it on christmas will be special, reminds me of playing Zelda: Ocarina of Time when it came out.

Eye Toy and Wii are totally different technology. Although Im sure Sony are in the processes of completely ripping off Nintendo's innovation as we speak.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD
    Eye Toy and Wii are totally different technology. Although Im sure Sony are in the processes of completely ripping off Nintendo's innovation as we speak.
    Exactly why I HATE Sony. When I heard that the PS3 had motion sensitive controllers a few weeks after Nintendo announced that the Wii had them, I was so angry.

That and the fanboys makes me stay away from Playstations.

Quote Originally Posted by MonaroMan
    Exactly why I HATE Sony. When I heard that the PS3 had motion sensitive controllers a few weeks after Nintendo announced that the Wii had them, I was so angry.

That and the fanboys makes me stay away from Playstations.
    Yea that was so pathetic. I hear that Sony patented a motion/cursor device recently...

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Nintendo Sued over Wii Remote Functionality

Interlink Electronics has filed a lawsuit against Nintendo, alleging that the Wii Remote rips off a patent the company filed in September 1997 (approved 7.5 years later in February 2005 - nice punctionality patent office...). Specifically, the company maintains that the Remote infringes on its own device when it comes to being trigger-operated (the B button) and pointing capability. In addition to monetary compensation, the company is also asking that Nintendo be permanently banned from selling the Wii Remote in its current form.

While this complaint is certainly worth watching, it's doubtful that Nintendo will actually be required to stop selling the Wii Remote. Part of the basis for Interlink's claim is that it patented trigger functionality, but as any gamer knows even the N64 controller had a trigger...and it was released in the US a year before the patent was originally filed. Also, suits that ask for the defendant to stop selling its product rarely end without some sort of settlement that allows the company to continue selling its product. Interlink may have a legitimate complaint on the pointer functionality however (although I doubt they were the first to think of it)...but that's for a court to decide.

http://wii.vggen.com/

I bet this was designed for video presentations and not video games. I doubt Nintendo would slip up legally, not assuring the coast is clear patent wise. As if they are gonna stop selling Wii...

:O

That sucks!!! I really hope Nintendo can get their way.

Dr. Phil Gives Away Wiis To Studio Audience

Today the Dr. Phil show gave the entire studio audience Wiis as part of the "Dr. Phil and Robin's Christmas Show!"

During the segment, they rolled a video of Dr. Phil and one of his sons Jay playing Wii Sports (tennis) with the outcome in Dr. Phil's favor.

Another son, Jordan, after the video joked:

Yeah. I had quite a Wii night, I played tennis for so long that I woke up and could barely move my right arm. And my bicep was huge!
    In addition to the console, everyone will be treated to a year subscription to GamezNFlix.

Now all that needs to happen is getting the Wii onto Oprah and the circle of advertisement will be complete.

Source: Nintendogal.com

Yeah there's a small video of it on Youtube (Ninty fans are so geeky :P).

Quote Originally Posted by aspher
    Yeah there's a small video of it on Youtube (Ninty fans are so geeky :P).
    I'm a geek but I don't seem like one.

But I'm into Star Trek and Dr Who and Nintendo and Warhammer... (Though I've been playing since the late 80s before it became something similar to Pokemon and a money making machine.)

COURIER MAIL
    Broken Wii straps to be replaced

by Kyoko Hasegawa in Hong Kong

December 16, 2006 06:40am
    Article from: Agence France-Presse

THE Japanese electronic game maker Nintendo said overnight it would replace wrist straps on its new Wii console with a "newer version" after reports of motion-sensing controllers crashing into users' television screens.

But the company denied it was recalling the equipment, saying there was "no problem with the current wrist strap if it is used reasonably and instructions furnished by Nintendo in user manuals included with the game are followed." "Nintendo is offering to replace the original version of the wrist straps for the Wii Remote with a newer version," the company said in a statement posted on its website.

"We have received some reports that when consumers swing the Wii Remote with the original version of the wrist-strap using excessive force and accidentally let go, the cord connecting the controller to the wrist strap can break, potentially causing the Wii Remote to strike bystanders or objects."

Earlier, Nintendo spokesman Yasuhiro Minagawa said the first version of the controller strap "turned out to be insufficient in its strength for some customers" and would be replaced with a thicker one.

"The decision comes after reports that some users in the United States threw their controllers when playing with Wii sports software," he said.

The new Wii features a controller that can be used as a sword, tennis racket or car steering wheel in the games shown on screen.

Wii set itself apart from Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Sony's PlayStation 3 consoles by designing a system that got players moving and encouraged family or friends to join in the activity.

But websites dubbed "Wii have a problem" and "Wii damage" have chronicled injuries and wreckage reportedly inflicted by Nintendo game controllers sent awry in the heat of play by wild swipes, loose grips or snapped wrist straps.

Wii controllers have been hurled or thrust into television and computer screens, according to online accounts, breaking windows, glasses, dishes, stereos, walls and ceiling fans.

The official Wii website warns users to "hold the Wii Remote firmly and do not let go" when playing, while taking a moment to dry perspiring hands to prevent injury to people or damage to objects.

Nintendo, which launched the Wii in the United States last month and in Japan on Saturday, has been getting rave reviews for its new controller and games that shy away from blood-and-guts action.

The Wii outsold the rival PlayStation 3 by more than double in the United States in November, according to industry tracking group NPD, which estimates that Nintendo sold 476,140 of its Wii consoles against Sony's 196,580 PS3s.

Consoles shipped from early December already have the thicker strap.

Nintendo also said Friday that it would recall 200,000 AC/DC power adaptors for Nintendo DS and Nintendo DS Lite portable game machines.

Nintendo said some adaptors supplied by Nagano Japan Radio Co Ltd (JRC) between January and October this year could generate excessive heat and possibly cause burn injury during charging.

Nintendo said that to date it has recorded nine such incidents of overheating. One such incident burned a hole in the body of the portable game machine but no injuries have been reported.

The Kyoto-based company said models with defective AC/DC adaptors were sold only in Japan.

Cumulative sales of Nintendo DS and Nintendo DS Lite have so far reached 13 million units.

I LOVE "BULL" BAILEY
    "WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MAN, WHAT A MIGHTY GOOD MAN"

I'm currently diving into the Water Temple in Zelda.

Anyone else playing Zelda atm?

NINTENDO?S Wii CONSOLE BREAKS LAUNCH SALES RECORDS

32,901 units sold in the first four days

Australia, Melbourne, December 14, 2006 ? Nintendo is pleased to announce that in the first four days of sale, 32,901* consumers have purchased Wii?.

This means the Wii has officially broken the Australian record for the biggest launch of a video game system in history.

?The launch of Wii has been a fantastic success for us,? says Rose Lappin, Director of Sales and Marketing. ?We aim to bring gaming to the masses and I think we have taken some large steps in the right direction. Our main priority now is to deliver as many units as possible into retail channels, as quickly as possible, to try and meet this exceptional demand.?

Australia-wide, retailers experienced a surge of activity, with many reporting large queues in front of stores at openings and total sell-outs on launch day.

?Myer has just experienced a strong spike in total business which can be largely attributed to the introduction of Wii,? explains Bernie Brookes, Myer CEO. ?We couldn?t be happier with the fantastic products Nintendo are releasing. Our Wii launch experience has really shown that consumers have made Myer a destination store for gaming.?

The Wii has already proven to be a sell-out success in North America and Japan, and very recently sent Europe into a retail frenzy.

Nintendo is targeting to deliver 4 million Wii hardware units globally by the end of this calendar year and 6 million by the end of this fiscal year in March.

Wii is sold for an SRP of just $399.95. The price includes one wireless Wii Remote controller, one Nunchuk? controller and the groundbreaking collection of five different Wii Sports games on one disc.

The highest selling game for Wii is the critically acclaimed, The Legend of Zelda?: Twilight Princess. Reviews are flooding in, for what most are calling a modern masterpiece. IGN Australia says, ?Go and get it; give yourself time to savour it. It will amaze?.

* figures courtesy of GfK

AUSSIENINTENDO.COM

Wii 'fastest selling console of all time'

Europeans fall in love with the new Nintendo.

Yesterday we reported that the Wii had fast become the fastest selling video game system in the UK's history. Of course, for Nintendo, that's just not good enough.

InStock Magazine is reporting that in just two days of sales across Europe, Nintendo had sold more than 325,000 machines across the continent. On top of this astonishing achievement, Zelda: Twilight Princess had an attachment rate of a massive 74%.

Previously, the machine had broken UK records with 105,000 machines sold in its first weekend of sales. This destroyed the record held by Microsoft's Xbox 360 and its 70,000 or so units sold when that machine launched.

AUSSIE NINTENDO

OMG i just played Wii (sports) at my friends place and it is unreal!!!! The motion sensitivity is amazing! Boxing is the best by far!!! It's actually a bit of a work out lol.
    Ten pin bowling was rather fun but the longevity would be minimal...ie, same thing every time...
    Golf was surprisingly realistic considering you are holding a controller not actually a heavy club! It's a bit hard at first to get used to, but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty fun!
    Tennis is pretty good, top spin, backspin, it's all there! Once again the motion sensors were amazing!

That was all i got time for, but i have to say, Boxing was by far the best! It would actually work fine as a exercise program i reckon lol

But it is actually better than i thought:eek:...Didn't get time for any 'proper' games like Zelda, unfortunately, which would have been great coz obviously the sport graphics aren't exactly great...

GO THE MAROONS!

Awesome Robbie! Youll really appreciate the wii when you play zelda. It comes into its own.

Check out these apparent prototypes for Wii controllers.

Yay I got a Wii! The last one in town too. Very lucky. Surprisingly it was EB who had it. Kmart and GameTraders had none in stock. I thought EB would be the first to sell through their stock. I purchased Zelda as well but I haven't played it yet (too busy playing Wii Sports ).