Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Queenslander
    Im not believing anything until I get an official statement of fact......... If he did in fact say it at a Gold Coast seminar Im sure it was a joke......he ain't a fool
    The Age
    March 31, 2006 - 5:40PM
    Bennett told a sports function at the Sofitel Hotel on the Gold Coast.
    Meanwhile, Bennett took a swipe at the NRL for granting the 16th license to the Gold Coast Titans, saying a team should've been established in Perth or Adelaide first.
    He said the "best model in the world is sitting at our doorstep in the AFL", which has spent millions developing the game in NSW and Queensland.
    "It's great for the Gold Coast but it's not good for rugby league," he said about the Titans, who will start playing in the NRL next year.
    "Rugby league needs to be in the other states. We're going to the Gold Coast where we'll be preaching to the converted."

Sorry Queenslander but he did actually say it. And I got to say, he was a brave man saying that in front of a Gold Coast audience.

Titan First Grade Regular Eel 33's Avatar

Brave man, hope he chokes on his words when the Titans belt the drongos at their first meeting.

Default Shaven

Quote Originally Posted by GT_Titan
    I just heard on the radio (Sea fm), that Wayne Bennet was quoted at a Gold Coast seminar, as saying the Titans should not have been accepted into the NRL. He believes it should have been Perth or Adelaide.

To me it sounds like old Benny is scared of us already. He?s put on the gloves and we?re going to come out fighting!! BRING IT ON!
    How could Wayne Bennet be scared of a club that has not even taken to the field yet, that has not even signed enough players to field a touch football side. give your self a slap!!!!!!!!!!! :!:

Titans Rep Player [BroncosGirl]'s Avatar

Well it doesn't particulary sound like hes scared of GC just a man set in his ways - he wants to spread NRl as far as he can, and fair enough, but hes too stubborn, because trying to spread league to Adelaide and WA, would be a very difficult job.
    Brisbane Broncos
    Oooooh Yeh, Yow Yeh!!!
    titans.bulldogs

everybody dances to their own boom boom

Ok I will say it..

If he wants a team in another state then let the Broncos move. eace:

Just joking

Helen

Titan Club Captain

Hmm...i sopose you cant really blame him, but then look at all the nsw team's there is.

Id rather another team come over here then go to perth or adelaide.

Titans Rep Player [BroncosGirl]'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Helen
    Ok I will say it..

If he wants a team in another state then let the Broncos move. eace:

Just joking

Helen
    Yes, Im sure that would make a lot of sense, with all the supporters we have here Hehehe! Lucky you're joking lol
    Brisbane Broncos
    Oooooh Yeh, Yow Yeh!!!
    titans.bulldogs

everybody dances to their own boom boom

Typical Broncos - want their SE QLD monopoly.

They deserve to be bashed.

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

Quote Originally Posted by [BroncosGirl]
    Yes, Im sure that would make a lot of sense, with all the supporters we have here Hehehe! Lucky you're joking lol

I couldn't resist that one. I was in that sort of mood yesterday. I am cured today..

Helen

Bennett might be worried the broncos might have a bit of competition could be a little scary for wayne go the titans

Now I didnt agree with what Bennett said, the Titans are a good thing for Queensland Rugby League and Rugby League in general.

But in the context of the subject it made sense.....He was talking about how the AFL model could apply to Rugby League....Put more funding into each state to help build up juniors, so that by the time they mature they have at least on club in their state to aim for. So in theory the best players of each state will get into the club. E.g. The best players in Queensland AFL will go to the Lions, and the best players from Perth can aim for either Western Australia's two teams.

To Bennett credit he is trying to help create a National Rugby League. His ideals for this national comp include Perth or Adeilade, which I agree with. But I would also like more Queensland and another New Zealand team thrown into the mix.....This will of course mean the loss or relocation of some New South Wales clubs.

Now that is my two-cents on what little info we have about his comments. I think alot of people have seen Bennett's name and then the headline "Bennett's says no to Titans". And jumped to some many conclusions and brought out the Bronco Bashers

And Bennett scared of a team that isnt in the competition yet :lol!: I did my homework and found some comments Bennett had about the Gold Coast team from the a recent Q&A in the Sunday Mail.

Has the rise of the Cowboys in recent years put extra pressure on the Broncos? Do you think the emerging rivalry is good for the code in Queensland?

There's always been a rivalry there. Everytime we've played them up there they have played their hearts out in front of a packed house. It's been there for more than 10 years, so I dislike this talk of a rivalry. They have been very tough to beat all the way through, and the Titans will be the same when we start playing them. The old Gold Coast used to push us all the way then go back to sleep for three months after they threw everything at us.

How do you think the Titans will go?

Well, they are in now so it will be interesting to see how they go.
    It doesnt really sound like the words of a scared man now does it

It doesnt really sound like the words of a scared man now does it
    Nope, why would you be scared of a team with only 8 players at this point? :lol!:

We as a club have nothing to lose when taking on the Brisbane Broncos (or North Queensland Cowboys) in the early years where our more fancied rivals do when it comes to the outcome of the contest. We as a club on and off the field are a concern for both the Brisbane Broncos and North Queensland Cowboys (more off field early on perhaps) and if would be naive to think that a Brisbane or Cowbosy official would concede that point in this life-time.

Bennett is helping spark the fire that was snuffed out at the end of the 1998 season - more credit to him, it makes for an interesting contest from 2007 onwards

Titans Star Player Steve Dangerous's Avatar

Bennett's always been against having the titans in the comp, so i don't think this is too far out of the ordinary.

but with storm still struggling to make an impact on the general vic population, i think it would be silly to ignore such a strong league area like the gold coast to jump back into SA and WA.

Titan First Grade Squad The Original Idiot's Avatar

Jesus, what is it with QLD football coaches trying to stir the pot and create some sort of drama? First Bleiberg, now Bennett (if he is simply just stirring the pot).

I feel that AFL needs to be stamped out of Queensland before anything like this occurs. It's bad for the game. *sighs* If only we had the money AFL had...
    Sig deleted. Please refer to the member guidelines for allowable sig sizes.

Default Shaven

Quote Originally Posted by lonegull
    Bennett might be worried the broncos might have a bit of competition could be a little scary for wayne go the titans
    And you guys reckon my posts are stupid!!!!!!!!