Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Wayne Bennett says NO to Titans

I just heard on the radio (Sea fm), that Wayne Bennet was quoted at a Gold Coast seminar, as saying the Titans should not have been accepted into the NRL. He believes it should have been Perth or Adelaide.

To me it sounds like old Benny is scared of us already. He?s put on the gloves and we?re going to come out fighting!! BRING IT ON!

QLD Cup Titan

Bennett has got to be joking.To consider SA or WA ahead of Gold Coast would have been ridiculous.

That is ridiculous. That is shocking. That is so far out of touch it is scary. Those are fighting words!

Quote Originally Posted by GT_Titan
    He?s put on the gloves and we?re going to come out fighting!! BRING IT ON!
    I couldn't agree with anything more.

Perth or Adelaide? Come on!

Those are ridiculous suggestions. I could stomach it if he said New Zealand, 2nd Brisbane or Central Coast. Those other two are no sooner than 10 years away, 10 years of hard work and investment.

The AFL wants SEQLD and we are finally defending our territory and nurturing it. Finally we are on the front foot and not reacting.

Gold Coast is the best thing to happen to rugby league in Australia in many years.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by GT_Titan
    I just heard on the radio (Sea fm), that Wayne Bennet was quoted at a Gold Coast seminar, as saying the Titans should not have been accepted into the NRL. He believes it should have been Perth or Adelaide.

To me it sounds like old Benny is scared of us already. He?s put on the gloves and we?re going to come out fighting!! BRING IT ON!
    Im not believing anything until I get an official statement of fact......... If he did in fact say it at a Gold Coast seminar Im sure it was a joke......he ain't a fool

Titan First Grade Squad The Original Idiot's Avatar

Ye Gods.

The Broncos never cease to amaze me off-field.
    Sig deleted. Please refer to the member guidelines for allowable sig sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Queenslander
    Im not believing anything until I get an official statement of fact......... If he did in fact say it at a Gold Coast seminar Im sure it was a joke......he ain't a fool
    Agreed, I think some need to rediscover their sense of humour somewhat. Bennett provides us with some controversial ideas and opinions to consider from time to time, but I very much doubt that he either a) made this alleged statement, or b) expressed it in the context that some here are insinuating. In other words, he was taking the proverbial excrement.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD
    That is ridiculous. That is shocking. That is so far out of touch it is scary. Those are fighting words!
    This is one topic that I feel compelled to comment on. Call me a turncoat, disloyal, or whatever you choose, but I was once a Brisbane supporter. A reasonably keen one too I must admit. However, I always maintained that should the Coast regain a position in the elite premiership, I would switch my allegance. This is primarily due to hometown reasons and wanting a team in which I would be able to inject higher levels of commitment into. This is nothing against the Broncos. It was always going to be the case, and the horses shall remain one of my favourite teams.

This is why statements such as 'fighting' and previous posts on this forum about a bitter rivalry between the clubs is a bit sad in my view. I don't know about others, but I shall be right behind all 3 (yes 3 now, and hopefully more to come) Queensland clubs as they do battle with the Southerners.

It's also interesting to see how the extreme vast majority of Brisbane supporters have applauded the Titans' inclusion and many have adopted the club as their 2nd or 3rd team, jumbled with the Cows of course. It's great to see them backing their fellow statesmen with such enthusiansm.

It seems this hate and rivialry that I sense a few fans of this club is currently a one way street. "We" hate the Broncos (for whatever reason), but they love us. My view is that it makes us appear immature and past-dwellers, which is saddening.

A bright new era is about to come to life for Queensland football, and I know i'll be right behind the Cows and Broncs in games not invloving us in trying to bring the trophy back to God's country. I'd prefer to leave the petty 'hate for the sake of hating' to Sydney clubs.

Regards,
    Johnno.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan John
    This is one topic that I feel compelled to comment on. Call me a turncoat, disloyal, or whatever you choose, but I was once a Brisbane supporter. A reasonably keen one too I must admit. However, I always maintained that should the Coast regain a position in the elite premiership, I would switch my allegance. This is primarily due to hometown reasons and wanting a team in which I would be able to inject higher levels of commitment into. This is nothing against the Broncos. It was always going to be the case, and the horses shall remain one of my favourite teams.

This is why statements such as 'fighting' and previous posts on this forum about a bitter rivalry between the clubs is a bit sad in my view. I don't know about others, but I shall be right behind all 3 (yes 3 now, and hopefully more to come) Queensland clubs as they do battle with the Southerners.

It's also interesting to see how the extreme vast majority of Brisbane supporters have applauded the Titans' inclusion and many have adopted the club as their 2nd or 3rd team, jumbled with the Cows of course. It's great to see them backing their fellow statesmen with such enthusiansm.

It seems this hate and rivialry that I sense a few fans of this club is currently a one way street. "We" hate the Broncos (for whatever reason), but they love us. My view is that it makes us appear immature and past-dwellers, which is saddening.

A bright new era is about to come to life for Queensland football, and I know i'll be right behind the Cows and Broncs in games not invloving us in trying to bring the trophy back to God's country. I'd prefer to leave the petty 'hate for the sake of hating' to Sydney clubs.
    I agree with you mate, there should only be friendly rivarly between each of the Queensland clubs. Im happy to go to the Broncos vs Cowboys game and see the Cowboys win.....why? Cause its for the greater good.......Titans fans calling for the blood of the Broncos to be drained to empty are not thinking rather clearly (end extreme hyperbole) . I am sure that 99.9% of Broncos fans are happy that the Titans are in the NRL. Titans fans must make sure that they don't make enemies with neighbours. We dont want to have situations similar to the problems that the Bulldogs have

Quote Originally Posted by The Original Idiot
    Ye Gods.

The Broncos never cease to amaze me off-field.
    :ok: Its amazing that the Broncos bashers come out of the woodwork so quickly. Bennett's "claims" have yet to be verified so you shouldn't be making statements similar to the above.

A media beat up - the source being SeaFM?

If anything, it is simply some well chosen words from Bennett stirring the pot - nothing more. Bring it on in 2007!

:ok: Its amazing that the Broncos bashers come out of the woodwork so quickly. Bennett's "claims" have yet to be verified so you shouldn't be making statements similar to the above.[/QUOTE]

I dont think it Bonco bashers at all, I think it the way the Boncos have handle thing like always bagging the NswRL (That what they keep saying), Us against them attitude. When ya got Bennett who owns a percentage of the Boncos and he the coach as well (not saying he a bad coach) I beleive that part of the problem.
    Cant wait till Sunday was gunna pick the Boncos in my footy tips but changed my mind.

Didn't the Broncos play a major hand in the demise of the Crushers and Gold Coast to the detriment of rugby league in Queensland? SEQLD Exclusivity contract?

I think I can reserve the right for a bit of dislike. :box:

Besides I think a healthy and passionate rivalry is what rugby league needs in southern QLD.

Most people will follow all three teams though, including myself, but the Broncos will be #3.

It's going to be fantastic for rugby league.

As DeeGan said bring on 2007. It's all good. We are here and nothing will ever take us away.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

As DeeGan said bring on 2007. It's all good. We are here and nothing will ever take us away.
    Hey-ya! There's the spirit

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD
    Didn't the Broncos play a major hand in the demise of the Crushers and Gold Coast to the detriment of rugby league in Queensland? SEQLD Exclusivity contract?

I think I can reserve the right for a bit of dislike. :box:

Besides I think a healthy and passionate rivalry is what rugby league needs in southern QLD.

Most people will follow all three teams though, including myself, but the Broncos will be #3.

It's going to be fantastic for rugby league.

Evening Diehard,

I respect your stance. May I offer my alternate opinion.

You see, that's the thing. At present, no matter how much some of our fans build it up, there is no rivalry. At least in the sense in which you are suggesting.

You cannot have a "healthy and passionate rivalry" when its only coming from one direction. In 2007, you'll find Broncos supporters from all over the place cheering the Titans (and the Cowboys) on, and taking a very keen interest in how we fair in each week of the season.

Talk of past events (Splitting of the premiership, clubs culled) and people (Ribot, Richardson) of a decade ago as a reason for what I see as bitter hate is all well and good if that's what you want out of your football, but I wonder just how our anti-Brisbane fans propose to build such a rivalry when it is so dramatically one sided?

We talk about the health of Queensland football and wanting it to prosper, yet its our fans calling for the blood of the Broncos and Broncos/Cowboys fans appluading our inclusion and keen to see us do well, which will benefit Queensland footy greatly. Ironic?

As Queenslander has stated, a good friendly "rivalry" (if you can call it that) on game day when we face off is great by all means, but with our situation in Queensland I think the serious and petty hate between our State's clubs is something that should be left to the Roaches.

And, if anthing, I believe our two clubs for the meantime need to get working with each other to eliminate a much more aggresive problem:

AFL, as you've mentioned.

Regards,
    Johnno.

Titans Rep Player [BroncosGirl]'s Avatar

Hahahah did he really say that? Im confused?

If he did, that sets up the rivalry nicely (And if he DID say WA or SA, well i think he means to spread the game )

If he didnt say it then still - Bring on the Broncos vs GC clashes, I can't wait already
    Brisbane Broncos
    Oooooh Yeh, Yow Yeh!!!
    titans.bulldogs

everybody dances to their own boom boom

Yea either way they will be massive, if the clashes of the mid 90s is anything to go by.

And hopefully bumper crowds too. Am I right in saying that Brisbane-Gold Coast clashes hold the ground record at either sides home venue (or former home venue) for regular season games? Something like 55,000 at QE2 and 22,000 at Cararra?