Junior Titan

Default Delaney arrested

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...006066,00.html

Foul-mouthed Delaney arrested
    By Josh Massoud and Chris Barrett

October 30, 2006 12:00

Article from: Font size: + -
    Send this article: Print Email
    PARRAMATTA centre Brett Delaney was arrested and thrown into a paddy wagon for allegedly swearing at police officers over the weekend.

The latest off-field drama to strike the Eels occurred early on Saturday as Gold Coast-bound Delaney celebrated his 21st birthday and farewell with friends.
    A police patrol spotted the threequarter arguing with a woman about 1.30am outside the Brewhouse Hotel at Lalor Park in Sydney's west. When police approached him about his behaviour, Delaney allegedly told officers to "f... off" before returning inside the pub.

"The police followed him and he kept saying 'f...' and 'c...'," one onlooker, who declined to be named, said.

Delaney was then arrested, thrown into the back of a caged truck and taken to Blacktown police station for questioning.

He was released later on Saturday morning and will be sent a criminal infringement notice for offensive language.

Eels CEO Denis Fitzgerald was unaware of the incident.

But a club-sanctioned penalty was available despite the fact that Delaney's contract with Parramatta ends tomorrow.

"I suppose that's a possibility given that he is still contracted to us. I will be getting in touch with him," Fitzgerald said.

Titans CEO Michael Searle said Delaney had phoned him yesterday. "It's something we will address when he gets here," Searle said.
    Rather bizarre? A friend of mine happened to be with another group at the Bewhouse and she said how Delaney was absolutely 'off his face'. I've met him once or twice through mutual friends and he always seemed like a top bloke!

But once again we see the detriments of alchohol to players and their off-field activities ...

Maybe PHAC had a point with his thing about Souths. But it's disappointing that something like this happened when the GC are entering the competition - though it's lucky that he's technically not contracted to the club.

Many thanks to Super Cronk for the great banner!

Junior Titan

What is the story down there with alcohol and players. I'm from Ireland and have been reading these stories for the last 18 months +

Quote Originally Posted by The Dave
    What is the story down there with alcohol and players. I'm from Ireland and have been reading these stories for the last 18 months +
    Well TBH if your a player and you do something bad then your face will be on the front or back of the newspaper next day as the media likes telling these stories more so than they do about players doing charity work etc so to the players its probablly in their best interests if they drank at home.

Hmm I wonder what Dennis will do to him since hes still under contract to the eels till tommorrow.
    I shall wait to see what the Titans are going to do about it.
    Swearing at a police officer though is not cool.

QLD Cup Titan

Not a good start from Delaney.

I didnt know u can arrested from swearing at a coper. werid

Quote Originally Posted by RIP
    They haven't slapped the cuffs on me yet..

Seems asthough if the cops didn't follow him around in the pub there wouldn't be much of a story. I wonder how many other people were arrested in that pub for swearing, I'll garuntee Delaney wasn't the only person using four letter words in a pub at 1:30AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coaster
    People need to be more like CS imo

Titans Star Player Steve Dangerous's Avatar

first hilder, now delaney?

not exactly what our club needs...

Quote Originally Posted by RIP
    Unfortuanetly it is as is touching a police officer. This is only a minor incident though and its a case of Delaney having too much fun.
    Last edited by grimmace; 30-10-06 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Dangerous
    first hilder, now delaney?

not exactly what our club needs...
    Yea, they need to cut the crap. We won't tolerate it at the Titans.

What worries me is that Hilder's nickname is trouble, must have a bit of a reputation...especially for the players to label him that.

Hope he leaves it at the border.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD

What worries me is that Hilder's nickname is trouble, must have a bit of a reputation...especially for the players to label him that.

Hope he leaves it at the border.
    I hope he dont leave it behind.
    Hidlers nickanme was given to him because he didnt get into trobule untill now hopefully he can keep living up to this ironic nickanme

Quote Originally Posted by grimmace
    I hope he dont leave it behind.
    Hidlers nickanme was given to him because he didnt get into trobule untill now hopefully he can keep living up to this ironic nickanme
    I hope it is an ironic nickname.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD
    I hope it is an ironic nickname.
    It is if i remeber reading correctly he caused no trouble so thats how he ended up with it.

Junior Titan

Default spot on!

Quote Originally Posted by Capital_Shark
    They haven't slapped the cuffs on me yet..

Seems asthough if the cops didn't follow him around in the pub there wouldn't be much of a story. I wonder how many other people were arrested in that pub for swearing, I'll garuntee Delaney wasn't the only person using four letter words in a pub at 1:30AM.

Case Law: Police cannot get offended by swearing.
    A private function with his friends and there the ones whom are offended... hmmmm... the swearing was not directed at the cops.... oh well should not have been swearing i suppose....8 police turn up to gawk... well good to see the police are using there resources wisely

Titans Star Player Steve Dangerous's Avatar

a good legal summary of this sorta thing:

http://aussielegal.aol.com.au/inform...cDetailsID=956

anyway, i hope all out players realise in no unclear terms that this sorta thing won't be tolerated up here. we gotta lotta nightclubs up here, but drinking more than you can handle and acting like a tosser is beyond reasonable behaviour and 'having fun'.

it's a bit sad for deleny but if you can swear at a police man well (happy days)..... lol