Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mdrew View Post
    The loss and performance were disappointing but the bigger concern for the Titans is the loss of hope of the supporter base after last night unfortunately.
    Good point mdrew. I put it down to PTSD.

I didn't see any disharmony amongst the players but if there was, those players need to be spoken to. That kind of thing is a cancer.

We gambled on Tanah and it hasn't worked out. Signed Foran for one too many years. Re-signed Erin Clark because he had two good games at the back end of 2022. Stuck with Isaac Liu for another season. We have two inexperienced fullbacks, both of which, despite all their ability, have the body structure of a stick (sorry but it's true). Verills looked lazy (but I love Randall - one of our better signings IMO which I was very critical of at the time).

It was St Merge and they destroyed us.
    Round 1 at home.
    It was disgusting.

All this Des hype over the summer was total BS.

That’s our most disturbing round 1 in club history.

A bit for Des to think about. Halves and bench would be the two areas under urgent review.
    I like Kino, I hope he develops and I would stick with him. Titans had a gun similar a decade ago called a Shannon Walker and a great talent was burned by not sticking with him.
    Could Jayden play in the halves when he returns?
    I don’t think we hit 5 offloads compared to Saints 12+. Got to make use of the speed in the backs but that is difficult with no second phase ball.

I've recovered after that shocking Saturday night, but I have woken up refreshed.

Good points to take out of this:
    1.Its round 1, this would be a lot worse if all this happened mid-season instead.
    2. It's good our flaws got exposed straight away, it gives more time for Des to make changes.
    3. We know He's isn't scared to drop players, chop and change until we find the balance. As we know our previous coaches haven't done this until it's too late.
    4. I think AJ moving to right centre was a success, we have stopped leaking so many points down the right hand side which has been a major issue for the past few seasons.

My issues with the team:
    1. We have a small pack and we lack mongrel, right now we only see that compete at all costs mentality from Tino and Randall.
    2. Our team is definitely a confidence team, when things don't go our way we start withdrawing into our shells. We saw this change at the back end of last, but we need to more consistent with staying in the game.
    3. Tanah I have pretty much given up on, his last kick options are predictable and poor, he is the typical half back who pre plans what he is going to do - rather than play what's in front of him.
    4. I hope Dave F goes back to left backrow to build on the combination he had with Foran from last year. This also provides more space in attack for AKP. This means Beau (if he's not dropped to QCup) should move to the right.

All in all, it was a diabolic game for us but I do think having Campbell, Foran and Fifita back will help tremendously. I have enough faith in Des that he has seen what we are like first hand and will give them a big rev up and make necessary changes this season. Don't give up just yet guys it's only round 1, if we are still playing like this by round 10 then we can start to give up.

I have never gone in for the it’s only round 1 mentality.
    You play for two points every week and last night was worth as much as when you are in the final few rounds and desperate for wins if you are doing well enough to be still relevant.

To come out of the blocks at home against St Merge throwing in those milestones games as well is gross.

It was disrespectful really.

I doubt that Des will change too much just yet except bringing in Foz for Weaver and injuries. He will probably give them all a redemption round before wielding the axe to coincide with the return of Difita and JC.

And the elephant in the room: on yesterday’s performance who can we beat? Difita’s manager’s phone will be running hot.
    Last edited by Titanic; 10-03-24 at 11:35 AM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

I'd bring Stimson on an edge to help our defence

Quote Originally Posted by Mini GF View Post
    I have never gone in for the it’s only round 1 mentality.
    You play for two points every week and last night was worth as much as when you are in the final few rounds and desperate for wins if you are doing well enough to be still relevant.

To come out of the blocks at home against St Merge throwing in those milestones games as well is gross.

It was disrespectful really.
    Yeah was terrible alright.
    Mate this first round game is a funny thing for me now.
    The way we do so called trials is baffling as I don't see how any match fitness and new combinations or structures can be consolidated on what seems to be one half of a game (crazy stuff). It's ok for the clubs that are a bit settled and running out the same old same old but I don't see how our preparation was any where near adequate to pull off a first round win against any team last night (I think we got what we deserved).

I haven't really had the time to follow the start of the season but would be interesting to know how the Storm and Dragons trial games were conducted.

The deflated feeling in the crowd after the game last night was real.
    After all the Des hype, it was reality time.
    This was never going to be a quick fix and there is plenty of tuning to be done before we can start getting excited.

Tanah is NOT a first grade calibre half. Never has been and surely, finally everyone can see he never will be.
    Is he getting paid per mediocre high kick?
    Kini is a bonafide gun and needs to be persisted with.
    AJ is our most potent attacking weapon no matter where he plays. Loved him at centre.
    Weaver struggled to contain Faitala Mariner last night but I’m picking him over Boyd everyday of the week!
    Except for Tino and Randall, where is our aggression??
    No Foran = no Lofi in open space..which makes him pretty much ineffective. I am a fan of Lofi but if Foz is out I’d be happy to give Tony Francis a shot. A big powerful winger could really change our dynamic.
    And just on Lofi…that Hollywood dive was embarrassing!!
    Last night proved again how crucial Foz is to everything. We were rudderless without him.
    The Dragons defended well in that first half but we didn’t really throw anything at them.
    With Foz, we do. We score another try or 2 with all that possession and it’s a different game going into the break.
    Whether he can stay healthy will have such a huge bearing on our season.

It’s round 1 and I still believe it will come, but it is going to take time.
    Last edited by AliDavysStep; 10-03-24 at 12:32 PM.

Just sat through it again. The right edge of Sami, AJ, Boyd and Haas stayed firm until at end of the game Fermor was moved there, AJ went to fb and the cracks appeared immediately. Leave the right edge alone and don’t put Fermor there.

The left edge as we all know was horrific. Kicking the line drop outs there was just stupid and that’s what Sami blew up about (so one of my friends at the game told me). Lofi, Kelly, Weaver and Fermor = too small, too soft and no communication. They have to be broken up. Foz for Weaver is a no-brainer, Difita for Fermor (back to Cup to learn how to defend) and Jojo for Kelly. Lofi gets a reprieve because he’s quick. Also

For those who like the blame game:
    (1) Fermor upset the defence by not defending. Something that has nothing to do with his injury and was apparent in 2022.
    (2) Kelly’s jelly fingers and very poor reads.
    (3) Kini’s lack of strength but not courage: stripped, manhandled and trampled but he’s just a kid with a huge upside.
    (4) Boyd’s low footy IQ. Sixth tackle options and kicking to our weakest side but his defence was solid.
    (5) Clark is a mistake ridden loose cannon. He was the A defender in Liddle’s midfield break plus two critical “6 agains” maybe others I gave up at that point.

Of course there are a lot more pieces like the bench effectiveness and so on, but it is Sunday and two weeks is a long time :-) Faith faith faith is the mantra.
    Last edited by Titanic; 10-03-24 at 12:42 PM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by RavShamrock View Post
    Yeah was terrible alright.
    Mate this first round game is a funny thing for me now.
    The way we do so called trials is baffling as I don't see how any match fitness and new combinations or structures can be consolidated on what seems to be one half of a game (crazy stuff). It's ok for the clubs that are a bit settled and running out the same old same old but I don't see how our preparation was any where near adequate to pull off a first round win against any team last night (I think we got what we deserved).

I haven't really had the time to follow the start of the season but would be interesting to know how the Storm and Dragons trial games were conducted.
    The dragons pretty much had their starting 17 locked very early in pre season and played a full strength side for atleast the first half in both trials

Foz has that special mix that all good 5/8s need. He's smart, he's aggressive and he's tough. Sadly, you can really only teach one of those assets...and even then you will find the student's ceiling pretty quickly.

I rate Weaver to be closer to Foz.

Quote Originally Posted by GCTTSD View Post
    The dragons pretty much had their starting 17 locked very early in pre season and played a full strength side for atleast the first half in both trials
    One of my young blokes is a dragons supporter and he was really confident all week. We had a few digs at each other after the trials. He told me yesterday that he could see improvement in the dragons as the off season dragged on, and definitely through the trials. I told him they were heading to slaughter at cbus. The big prick just laughed, looked me in the eye and asked, "where have the Titans improved from last year in the off season? A new coach...but the same squad".

Can't wait to get another crack at them! Man I hope Des can work his magic.

Side note....you know what I love about Tino? You know he's not here for the money. I understand that his roll is perhaps an easier task than other positions...but if everyone else approached their rolls with the same determination and aggression that he does, week in week out we'd be unbeatable!

Personally I just want them to kick the knights and titans out of the comp for five years so they can start from scratch in 2030, I genuinely believe it's the only way forward,

The titans fans didn't even turn up for this game, they know what's up, they don't care about this team anymore and who could blame them ?

Knights only get fans due to blind loyalty which isn't as postive or healthy as it sounds, they are being straight up abused lmao

Gold coast has bars and woman cracking on a Saturday night, the nrl was already up against stiff competition and then you make the team garbage, why would people sacrifice half there night for that !? Huh !?

Both brands have been damaged to such an extent going away and coming back is the only option,

Obviously they need to fire the talent scouts who hired all the jobbers in the first place, everyone sucks,

We need a full cleanout,