Page 3 of 61 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 ... LastLast
    First Grader

I thought he meant a national reserve grade comp from what I gathered last time, Has he changed his mind on that? That quote to me reads like he doesn't want a NRL reserve grade which he's always said, Nothing about QRL but there's more in the article I guess, I don't have CM so haven't read it.

I understand his concerns because it potentially brings a national reserve grade comp closer with us and Cowboys having reserve teams but I don't think many clubs would support a national reserve grade comp over the system now.
    Last edited by Cowabunga; 20-10-23 at 10:31 AM.

Personally I would rather the NRL step in and force the NSW cup to also enforce the same rules that Qcup has about player spreading in the reserve grade. Ikin is right that it gives a whole network of responsibility outside of clubs for developing talent and we cannot deny that the reserve grade QCUP system has been pretty fantastic at that. If you compare it to other junior and reserve grade comps in the world its basically one of the best in terms of its commitment to the cause and professionalism and numbers of participants and unity of the network.

First Grader

Have to disagree Hungry.

By having NRL contracted players consolidated into the one team, the standard of the team and hence the competition itself is at a higher standard. We have seen this in the National State Cup finals where NSW have dominated the last 6 years and generally the scores have been blow outs.

Having a higher standard also facilitates players being exposed to playing at a higher standard which aids their development quicker and facilitates a more smoother transition to NRL.

There are 9 existing NRL reserve grade teams and the other state teams all have an exclusive arrangement with a NRL club. As such all NRL clubs have an exclusive arrangement for their reserves being either their own reserve grade side or an exclusive arrangement with a state side. There is no farming out of players to different clubs which is required in QLD by their rules.. I dont know where you find at least another 9 plus existing state teams in NSW to farm out players

I rather have reserve grade players playing in a higher standard competition IMO.
    Last edited by Whats Doing; 20-10-23 at 11:01 AM.

First Grader

My dream scenario would be something like a NFL/NBA style division conference comp with all the Qld/NSW cup teams as a national comp. The 28 teams for now but you can add more, 7 in each division and play in state with a couple of games out of state so it's not costing too much. Then have a round of 16 or something onwards with the division winners straight through to the quarters or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Whats Doing View Post
    Have to disagree Hungry.

By having NRL contracted players consolidated into the one team, the standard of the team and hence the competition itself is at a higher standard. We have seen this in the National State Cup finals where NSW have dominated the last 6 years and generally the scores have been blow outs.

Having a higher standard also facilitates players being exposed to playing at a higher standard which aids their development quicker and facilitates a more smoother transition to NRL.

There are 9 existing NRL reserve grade teams and the other state teams all have an exclusive arrangement with a NRL club. As such all NRL clubs have an exclusive arrangement for their reserves being either their own reserve grade side or an exclusive arrangement with a state side. There is no farming out of players to different clubs which is required in QLD by their rules.. I dont know where you find at least another 9 plus existing state teams in NSW to farm out players

I rather have reserve grade players playing in a higher standard competition IMO.
    Agreed. Not to mention the benefits of having contracted players develop rapport and combinations together in the lower grades on the same team and being able to play with the same structures as the parent club.

The current system in the QCup is sub-optimal at best. They are just trying to keep the old BRL brands relevant at the cost of developing the best pathways for players to succeed at NRL level.

Immortal

Tony Francis and Keano Kini up against each other today as Tonga A take on New Zealand A.

Junior

https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...2f6dcda34f9918

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gold Coast 88 View Post
    Des's first interview re 2024

Quote Originally Posted by Gold Coast 88 View Post
    https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...2f6dcda34f9918

- - - Updated - - -

Des's first interview re 2024
    What’s it say mate? Can’t read it sorry

Des Hasler says Gold Coast’s premiership window is wide open as the incoming Titans coach declared he is primed for an explosive Queensland rivalry with the Broncos and Wayne Bennett’s Dolphins.
    In his first interview as Titans coach, Hasler has broken a 12-month silence in the wake of his sacking at Manly, speaking of his rejuvenation ahead of arguably the toughest mission of his career – turning the Gold Coast into an NRL giant.
    The 62-year-old also opened up about his top-secret signing with the Titans, taking on Big Brother the Broncos, his passion for coaching and why the Coast have the roster to win a maiden premiership.
    Hasler officially takes office on Wednesday week – November 1 – tasked with delivering Gold Coast’s first title since their entry to the big league in 2007.
    But if the two-time premiership winner at Manly is feeling the heat, he isn’t showing it.
    As the dust settles on the Broncos’ breakthrough grand-final campaign this season, reclaiming the crown as the kings of the NRL in Queensland, Hasler is hellbent on sowing the seeds for a Titans dynasty.
    “The task is to get results,” Hasler said.
    “I’m quite excited about working with this young group.
    “They really want to succeed.”

GOLD COAST RESCUE
    For more than a decade, the Titans have been one of the NRL’s great underachievers.
    Gold Coast have missed the playoffs 11 times in the past 13 seasons, crashed to the wooden spoon twice (2011 and 2019) and suffered the ignominy of finishing 14th and the lowest ranked Queensland team this year – one spot below Bennett’s new Dolphins franchise.
    On October 20, 2021, the club released a ‘Building Titans Roadmap’ with a strategic plan to win two premierships by 2030.
    They have since recorded back-to-back bottom four finishes and time is ticking.
    Fast forward precisely two years and Hasler is overlooking the golden sands of Burleigh Heads beach, adamant the Titans have the band of young guns to deliver the club’s first NRL trophy.
    He says the likes of skipper Tino Fa’asuamaleaui (aged 23), David Fifita (23), AJ Brimson (24), Jayden Campbell (23), Moeaki Fotuaika (23) and Alofiana Khan-Pereira (21) are poised to blossom with the right mentoring.

“The window of opportunity is there. You’ve just got to jump through the f***ing thing,” Hasler says.
    “I like the attitude of the players.
    “Guys like Tino really, really want it.
    “I’m excited about this particular group. They’re in a position now where they’ve got a good mixture of game experience and strength in different positions.
    “The ages of players and exposure they’ve had … there’s a whole lot of things that go into it.
    “Let’s just say their window is bright.”
    DES-NEYLAND
    When Hasler was appointed following the shock sacking of Justin Holbrook, one former Manly staffer said: “The Titans won’t know what hit them. Cyclone Des is coming.”
    Hasler’s former Manly halfback, Queensland skipper Daly Cherry-Evans, told this masthead last week that the veteran coach will inject a hard edge to the Titans.
    There is a view Hasler is a control freak whose relentless drive wears thin with club hierarchy.
    Hasler disputes that perception, saying he will work harmoniously with Titans bosses in his quest to lift the standards demanded by the man who headhunted him – Gold Coast CEO Steve Mitchell.

“I’m not going to come in and be a p***k to work with or anything like that,” Hasler assured.
    “They (Titans management including co-owners Darryl Kelly and Rebecca Frizelle) are certainly not going to be interfering.
    “It’s going to take co-operation. The organisation and administration have been really supportive and open.
    “My job is about lifting everyone’s capabilities. It’s not just players. It’s staff and everybody involved.
    “You attack it from that way.
    “If you don’t get that buy-in (from everyone), you’re f****d.
    “To get that consistency, competitiveness and results … that is the way we’ll approach it.
    “Because they’re such a young group, who knows where the capabilities will go.”
    DEFIANT DES
    Hasler won the last of his two premierships 12 years ago, but don’t dare suggest he is a spent force. The mere mention inflames a competitive fire that will rage through the Titans organisation.
    “Being a spent force … that’s disrespectful. Don’t use spent force,” Hasler fires.
    “I’ve been involved with rugby league for over 40 years.
    “Where I’m at now, I coach because I really enjoy it. I don’t have to.
    “Some coaches have to do it because they’ve got families or have to pay the bills.
    “I simply enjoy coaching. It’s about the challenge and the engagement.
    “You look at the great coaches, the most appealing thing about successful coaches is their manageability. Wayne is a great man manager.
    “Experience counts for a lot as well.”

SLIDING DOORS
    The Titans dropped a bombshell in June by suddenly terminating Holbrook following three-and-a-half years in charge. Hasler was unemployed at the time and an open target after his own demise eight months earlier at Brookvale.
    Hasler is currently suing Manly, seeking compensation for the final 12 months of his contract in the NSW Supreme Court.
    Civil proceedings began during the week and while Hasler declined to comment on the Manly saga due to the legal dispute, the Sea Eagles legend says his year-long hiatus did not erode his passion for coaching.
    “I feel like I’ve never been away from it,“ said Hasler, speaking for the first time since his Manly axing.
    “You’re out but never out, you’re watching the footy.
    “I didn’t need refreshing, it was just the way it panned out.
    “I enjoy coaching. I can’t be any more honest than that.
    “I was able to jump back on-board around July this year when they (the Titans) decided to go in a different direction.”

Hasler admits he felt for his one-time NRL coaching rival Holbrook, who claimed he was “gutted” after being blindsided by Titans bosses.
    “It’s never an easy conversation,” Hasler said.
    “Ripping the band aid off is always going to be hard.
    “I think the way they did it and went about it was respectful.“
    OPERATION DES
    The Titans’ stunning signing of Hasler has been rated one of the code’s great silent coups.
    In an industry where leaks are a given, there were no whispers. No tip-offs. The Titans brokered the three-year deal under a cover of darkness and then turned on the lights to shock the NRL.
    Even Hasler initially thought Gold Coast’s overtures were one big joke.
    “They called me up and I said, ‘Yeah sure, who’s geeing me up now?’” he says with a laugh.
    “I’ve had some gee-up merchants in my time.
    “The Titans called me out of the blue. I said I’ll think about it, contemplate it and it went from there.
    “I looked at the roster and everything.
    “They presented really well and were respectful to all parties.”

Hasler’s manager George Mimis lauded the two-man stealth operation engineered by Titans boss Mitchell and chairman Dennis Watt.
    “It was the most clinical and brilliantly executed contract signing I’ve been involved in in 30 years in the game,” Mimis said.
    “Steve and Dennis knew what they wanted and came and got it. They are classy operators, but the board and ownership knew what they wanted.
    “We had a couple of meetings in Sydney.
    “I can’t praise them enough for the quality of how they conducted themselves.”
    THE BRONCOS
    For almost two decades, the Titans have been maligned as the Little Brother to the might of derby rivals the Broncos.
    A grand-final appearance aside, Brisbane rubbed salt into the wounds in July by marching into the Titans’ backyard to steal their long-time feeder club, Queensland Cup powerhouse Burleigh Bears.
    Brisbane will be among the favourites to win next year’s premiership and Hasler wants to take the Titans-Broncos M1 derby to another level.
    “It (rivalries) is all part of rugby league folklore. I think it’s great,” Hasler said of the Broncos challenge.
    “It’s all about the competitiveness and things like that.
    “The Dolphins … two years ago, no-one was doing that (Hasler puts his hand above his head, replicating the ‘Phins Up’ celebration).
    “It’s all part of the rivalry. It’s what the fans engage in.
    “Rivalries are second nature. It’d be great to be part of that (with the Broncos).”
    WAYNE’S WORLD
    Wayne Bennett and Hasler are two of rugby league’s greatest coaching survivors.
    Incredibly, they have coached a total of 54 first-grade campaigns. They have qualified for a combined 15 grand finals and won nine premierships.
    Bennett will turn 74 next year in his swansong season at the Dolphins and Hasler is now on Wayne’s turf. He can’t wait to lock horns with his 20-year coaching adversary.

“I get on really well with Wayne. I like him. He breaks me up, he’s a character,” Hasler said.
    “He has been great for the game of rugby league and there are so many ways you can look at it. He is the reason why so many people watch the game, it’s just important.
    “In parallel games, the guy who coached Essendon, Kevin Sheedy, he’s like Wayne. They are in every sport.
    “I won’t say Wayne is a freak, but he is just an ornament to the game.”
    THE FUTURE
    No top-level Gold Coast team in Australian sports history has won a premiership.
    The Titans have gone bankrupt twice in 2012 and 2015, but Hasler sees parallels between the tight-knit community on Manly’s northern beaches and the spirit of Gold Coasters.
    He also sees a group of men, like Brimson and Campbell, that care about the region, and what it means to play for the Titans jumper.

“It’s not a **** roster,” Hasler said.
    “I’m quite excited by it. It’s about how we apply ourselves.
    “I’m not going to be quoted saying ‘I’m going to win a premiership’. It’s results-driven and that’s the way I’ve always approached it.
    “If we go loss, loss, loss, loss … don’t be worried. It happened in 2021 (at Manly) and we made a preliminary final.
    “No-one had the Warriors in the top four this season and they surprised everyone.
    More Coverage
    NRL summer: When every club returns for pre-season training
    NRL summer: When every club returns for pre-season training
    Next man up: Penrith rookies set to drive four-peat mission
    Next man up: Penrith rookies set to drive four-peat mission
    “The one thing that’s impressed me here is the local community is very aware of the side.
    “They (Gold Coast people) have been pretty patient and it’d be wonderful if we could (win a premiership), but it’s f***ing hard. Grand finals are hard to win.
    “It’s going to be good fun being on this journey. The Gold Coast is not too bad a place to be coaching.”

It's a decent interview if you can get past the bit where Badel and Meyn are trying to make it about the Broncos.

Another Des interview:

https://amp.theage.com.au/sport/nrl/...21-p5edz8.html

A favourite Des Hasler phrase is “under the radar”. It aptly describes his arrival on the Gold Coast, perhaps the only time in rugby league history that a big transfer story hasn’t leaked to the media.

“It was about respect for all parties, including the Titans, [former coach] Justin Holbrook and myself,” Hasler said.

The Titans have barely registered a blip on the sporting landscape either since their inception, failing to truly make a mark on the locals or on the NRL. That could be about to change with Hasler’s arrival on the glitter strip.

In his first interview since his departure from Manly, the new Titans mentor was bullish when asked if his new club could be in a premiership window in the coming years.

“Yeah, easy,” Hasler said. “It’s a very young squad, the average age is about 22 or 23, although Foz [Kieran Foran] probably bumps it up a bit.

“You don’t want to sound cliche-ish, but there’s a lot of 70-plus gamers. There’s a really good window where we could do something good, something great.

“It does happen. You only need to look at how the Warriors bounced back, the way Newcastle bounced back.

“It’s strange, the NRL year is so unpredictable. Newcastle were in the bottom six after round 11. [Kalyn] Ponga was finished, he was retiring. And then look at the way they bounced back.

“Where were the Broncos three years ago?

“You never say never – you shouldn’t. That’s the exciting part about it … there are plenty of possibilities.

“I picked up Manly in ’19 and they were 14th. It’s very real. So much happens in the NRL calendar. That’s all part of it.”

Hasler has unfinished business in the NRL. The two-time premiership-winning coach is excited about the challenge at his new club, while still at loggerheads with his previous one. His departure from Manly is a topic he won’t broach, given that his controversial sacking is now before the Supreme Court.

Nobody saw the shift north coming. Negotiations with Titans powerbrokers remained a secret until the deal was done.

“In my 30 years doing this, this organisation handled that as professionally, diligently and respectfully as any deal I’ve ever done,” said Hasler’s agent, George Mimis.

“The confidentiality is a sign of respect, not just to Des or us, but also the incumbent and other parts of the business.”

Out of work and looking for a fresh start, Hasler had several options. It has been widely reported that Newcastle and St George Illawarra had expressed an interest, but after doing his due diligence the Gold Coast became the logical option.

“It fitted the best,” Hasler said. “The front of house – Steve Mitchell [Titans chief executive] met with me and it was a really good process. There is some real talent in the roster.

“You weigh up where they are at and you weigh up the roster, and it presented quite well. In the end, it worked out best.

“I don’t want to say potential, because it’s so hackneyed, but there’s some ability there, for sure.”

The pre-season hasn’t yet started, but Hasler has long been diligently at work in the background. It began with the retention of star forwards Tino Fa’asuamaleaui and David Fifita, who had the opportunity to trigger exit clauses in their contracts that could have been activated the moment Holbrook departed.

Instead, Hasler helped convince them to stay.

“It’s testament to the two boys – I never thought they would leave; they didn’t want to leave,” Hasler said. “It was a good indicator to me that their buy-in was strong, that they believed in where the place was going. That was really good.”

The move will reunite Hasler with 33-year-old Foran, who has long described the veteran mentor as a father figure.

“I know what Kieran is about, what he stands for, what he brings to the side,” Hasler said. “That’s why the Titans recruited him, it’s about influence. When I say influence, it’s about experience, which is important to the side.

“At the Broncos it’s Adam Reynolds; a guy like Shaun Johnson at the Warriors. That voice is important, which is why Ben Hunt is important at the Dragons.”

Hasler dead-batted questions about the potential arrival of Hunt, who has indicated he would be keen to join the club should a release from the Dragons be forthcoming. The Red V has made it clear that Hunt will be made to honour his contract, leaving Hasler to focus instead on the roster at his disposal.

The 62-year-old will have some big positional calls to make during the pre-season, given AJ Brimson, Jayden Campbell and Keano Kini all have the ability to play at fullback.

“They are all high-class headaches to have,” Hasler said. “You’ve also got young Jojo Fifita. The versatility that all those players offer is a bonus. There are all those situations to work through over the next couple of months.”

When things went sideways at Manly, Hasler had no doubt that he still had more to give as a coach. Despite now being in his 60s, he arrives on the Gold Coast with his sense of humour – and his trademark locks – intact.

“The hair is still there,” he said. “The part that pisses off a lot of people is that it’s not grey.”
    Last edited by Hail Sezer; 22-10-23 at 09:20 AM.

If there was ever a squad that can turn your hair gray it’s our Titans.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

After seeing the kiwis lineup I see foran at 9? Could be a decent option for us off the bench. We could have a team of
    1. Campbell
    2. Sami
    3.Brimson
    4. Kelly
    5. AKP
    6. Boyd
    7. Weaver
    8. Mo
    9. Verrills
    10. Tino
    11. Fifita
    12. Fermor
    13. Randall
    14. Foran
    15. Palasia
    16. Jolliffe
    17. Kini
    18. Stimson
    19. Liu

Rep Player

Foran is not a 9 lol

First Grader

Here it is Tits

Gold Coast Titans selection puzzle: AJ Brimson, Jayden Campbell, Keano Kini in three-way fullback battle

Gold Coast Titans coach Des Hasler is facing a selection nightmare in his debut campaign at Parkwood after locking in his five-eighth for next season.

New Titans coach Des Hasler will keep faith in Kieran Foran at five-eighth in a move that will plunge AJ Brimson, Jayden Campbell and rising star Keano Kini into a three-way shootout for the fullback spot.

Hasler is facing a selection nightmare in his debut campaign at Parkwood with the Titans under pressure to find a starting spot for the brilliant Campbell, who played 10 of his 22 games off the bench this year.

Speculation was rife Hasler would consider axing Tanah Boyd at halfback and handing the No.7 jumper to Foran, which would enable the Gold Coast mentor to start Brimson at pivot and Campbell at fullback.

But as the Titans prepare to launch their 2024 pre-season on Monday week, Hasler dismissed suggestions he would move Foran, saying his former Manly protege is the perfect option at second receiver.

“He is a six,” Hasler said of Foran, whom he coached at five-eighth in Manly’s 2011 premiership win.

I thought ‘Foz’ played really well last season. He had a great year.

“He adds that voice of experience and he is a good mentor for the players to have around.

“You can never under-rate what experience brings. It’s hard to put it in words, but Foz was amazing.

“In those hard moments in the game, you need those players like Foz that have influence.”

Blooded as a bench utility in 2019, Boyd edged out Toby Sexton for the halfback spot last season, with the 23-year-old showing signs of promise in his 21 games in the No.7 jumper.

Brimson played 13 of his 14 games last season at fullback, but the Queensland Origin flyer also has the versatility to slot into the centres.

There are fears whizkid Campbell, contracted until 2026, could be lost to the Titans if the club can’t give him regular starting time.

Rather than be daunted, Hasler welcomed the selection showdown and declared positions are up for grabs as Brimson and Campbell face a fresh attacking threat in the form of the electric Kini.

The boom 19-year-old played six games in his rookie NRL season in 2023 and Kini lit up the Hostplus Cup grand final last month when he ran for a whopping 264 metres in Burleigh’s 22-18 loss to Brisbane Tigers.

The quick-stepping Kini has already caught the eye of Hasler, who has refused to guarantee Brimson or Campbell the No.1 jumper and says pre-season performances will be telling.

“There’s an instinctiveness about Jayden, it’s the same with AJ,” Hasler said.

I always coach a player to play a number of positions.

“Tom Trbojevic (whom Hasler mentored at Manly) can play centre, fullback or five-eighth if you had to throw him in there.

“Is Jayden Campbell a fullback or half? The versatility is going to be really good.

“It’s about getting in there, having a look, talking to the players and seeing what’s the best fit.

“A lot can happen between now and kick off next year. There is a long way to go.

“Brimson played fullback in Origin but can play in the halves and centres as well.

“There is a real talent coming through, too, in Kini ... I won’t make any decisions yet.”

Some of the Titans’ biggest names will report for pre-season on day one, including Brimson, Campbell, Boyd and Queensland Origin back-rower David Fifita, who returns from minor knee surgery.