Page 24 of 61 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 ... LastLast
    First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Caelys Putoko named in the nextgenxv 2023 World U18 XV at centre (selected as the best U18/schoolboy centre in world rugby this year).

https://nextgenxv.com/2023/12/29/202...d-under-18-xv/

FYI - Nextgenxv cover and stream High School/College 1st XV rugby from NZ, Aus, South Africa and the UK.

Hopefully he gets some time in an NRL trial.
    Wow! I just had a look at that tried he scored off the couple of goosey's. Damn he can move. Hope he keeps developing and we can hold onto him.

Quote Originally Posted by Upthetits View Post
    Wow! I just had a look at that tried he scored off the couple of goosey's. Damn he can move. Hope he keeps developing and we can hold onto him.
    He's got a NZ union trait that a lot of league players don't develop and that is shifting the ball carrying hand instinctively while moving to better evade defenders. Usually means he's developed a fend on both sides and should hopefully translate to being able to play both sides of the field. He's got a good pass on him which will open up positional options as he learns the game.

I've posted these before but for anyone interested, here's some extended highlights of his 2023 season (both union and league) to get an idea how he plays:
    https://www.tiktok.com/@dawsonrenee/...67815951844871

Yes it's tiktok but you can watch it through a browser (i.e. you don't need tiktok to watch).

At this stage we've got no idea if he's even capable of playing league at a high level, particularly the defensive side, but keep in mind that this kid was at high school this year, so is a year younger than the likes of Keano, Seth Nikotemo, Arama and two years younger than Jojo Fifita, Jaylan De Groot, Tom Weaver, Ryan Foran and Oskar. First year out of school for all of those guys except for Keano (and Jojo who did his shoulder) played at least a full season of U21's before playing Qcup. There's a good chance Caelys spends the season in local A-grade learning the ropes but I'm looking forward to seeing how he develops.

- - - Updated - - -

As a general indicator, the ones from the train and trial group who are still training in the new year will usually be lined up to play a trial. We'll know in a week or so who Des has decided to retain from that group for an extended stint, if any.
    Last edited by Hail Sezer; 31-12-23 at 09:22 AM.

Immortal

HS I have watched a lot of Qld GPS School Boy rugby and really enjoy the standard and attacking nature but are you able to talk about that standard compared to NZ Super 8 School Boy rugby.

Obviously Jojo was a TSS stand-out and Caelys Putoko a Hamilton Boys HS stand-out, so I am interested in your thoughts on the similarities and differences between the two competitions from your perspective mate?

First Grader

I got promised a Manu though...

I was trying to find some stuff on the salary cap rules but could only find this posted on the Raiders forums but thought it was interesting and a big bonus for us going forward with a majority of our players being juniors, Apparently it was in the ST but I can't find it. The wording is a bit confusing on the %'s and development/veteran players stuff.

Level of the cap
    2023: $11.05m
    2024: $11.25m
    2025: $11.4m
    2026: $11.55m
    2027: $11.7m

Minimum $120,000 including Super in 2023, $130,000 in 2024 rising incrementally to $145,000 in 2027.

Each club can offer $100,000 on motor vehicle allowance (up to five, valued at $20,000) and has a $300,000 veteran/developed player allowance. A veteran is valued at 10 percent of salary cap value after nine years at one club and 5 percent after 10 years. A developed player is 10 percent of salary cap value if contracted for two or more years before their top 30 contract.

Clubs must spend 97.5 per cent of their cap each year from 2024, rising from the current 95 per cent.

Developed players (juniors) cannot be signed before Round 6 of a player’s final contract year. A developed player is a player who has been contracted for at least two years in junior grades and has played less than six NRL or State Cup matches. This is to help development clubs retain players and give them more time to assess players.

Clubs must have 24 top 30 players by 5pm November 1. By Monday of Round 1 they must have 28 players in the top 30. 30 by 30 June (no mid season transfers after that).

Development player contracts replaced by “Supplementary list”. $650,000 cap for at least four, maximum six players, paid $80,000, can play from Round 1. Bonus of $3,000 for any NRL game.

Training contracts (train and trial). To rise to $1200 in 2024, $3,000 bonus for any NRL game, can only play NRL from Round 11 (ie after Round 10).

Clubs can promote players aged 17 to top 30 squads but can’t play until age 18.

Top 30 players can seek a release from their contract if dropped below State Cup level.
    Last edited by Cowabunga; 31-12-23 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Caelys Putoko named in the nextgenxv 2023 World U18 XV at centre (selected as the best U18/schoolboy centre in world rugby this year).

https://nextgenxv.com/2023/12/29/202...d-under-18-xv/

FYI - Nextgenxv cover and stream High School/College 1st XV rugby from NZ, Aus, South Africa and the UK.

Hopefully he gets some time in an NRL trial.
    Not sure if it is the right fit for our club (there might be some potential) but I really see the next development in the whole league as a general in poaching players from the South African and New Zealand school systems by offering them better athletic development programs and higher salaried training contracts.

Thanks for posting Cap info CowB, very informative.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by mdrew View Post
    HS I have watched a lot of Qld GPS School Boy rugby and really enjoy the standard and attacking nature but are you able to talk about that standard compared to NZ Super 8 School Boy rugby.

Obviously Jojo was a TSS stand-out and Caelys Putoko a Hamilton Boys HS stand-out, so I am interested in your thoughts on the similarities and differences between the two competitions from your perspective mate?
    Hi Mate, I’ve got the Super 8 Comp a fair bit ahead of GPS comp. Hamilton are arguably the best high school side in world rugby over the past decade and between Hastings, Rotorua, Tauranga, New Plymouth, Napier, PNBHS (should’ve won 2023 national title) and Gisborne you’ve got the strongest north island rugby regions outside of Auckland covered, and they all have their fair share of All Blacks. The best of the best to come out of these regions, which are already rugby strong, go to these schools by choice - vast majority not by scholarship. No disrespect to the GPS comp at all - but if you look at NZ Schools v Australia Schools, NZ is so far ahead that the fixture is becoming pointless.

I’ll say this because I genuinely believe it - at the same age, Caelys is better than Jojo was playing the same position in union. But, this is not to say he’s a better prospect than Jojo as a potential NRL player. Jojo didn’t have the luxury of playing in the NZ Comp and with that level of players around him, and Jojo has a superior athletic profile and is as good as you could hope for when it comes to discipline and off field preparation.

The thing I like about signings like Jojo and Putoko even as a train and trial is that we’re taking the best athletes in other codes and backing our systems to get the best out of them in rugby league.
    Last edited by Hail Sezer; 31-12-23 at 06:00 PM.

Immortal

Great analysis HS, thanks mate

First Grader

Going off highlights and I know very little about union but he looks like a centre/five eighth to me more then a winger but it would be easier to start him there I imagine. He looks way to skillfull with the ball in hand, It's highlights but he seems to have a freakish ability to find a good offload while having a running and passing game.

Do we have a A grade team we're sending guys to?

Happy New Year boys and girls and others … my new year resolution is to be a glass half full kind of guy, particularly when it comes to anything Titans.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    Going off highlights and I know very little about union but he looks like a centre/five eighth to me more then a winger but it would be easier to start him there I imagine. He looks way to skillfull with the ball in hand, It's highlights but he seems to have a freakish ability to find a good offload while having a running and passing game.

Not sure, hopefully they get sent to currumbin eagles moving forward though

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post

Yeah looks to have a handy skillset. I do wonder if he’d be undersized as an OB but I guess we’ll have to see how he plays.

I think they’re sending them to a few different sides in local A grade. The MM eligible boys who aren’t Cup ready will probably play out the season in MM first anyway

First Grader

https://www.rugbyleagueeyetest.com/2...ndering-leads/

Been going back and reading the articles on us from the the last 2 years on the site and it's weird not wanting to throw my laptop out the window every 10 seconds. It was hard to get many positives from this article but I think there's a few interesting things from back from round 13, We were actually pretty good with the ball in most ways besides holding it in the second half.

The bigger positive is probably how bad we really were in defence because I don't think it could happen again. We were somehow 3 times worse then 2021 and 2022.

I think we've addressed our biggest issues. Holbrook for Des is like going from Sharon who's slept with everyone at Treetops pub to Dua Lipa and should fix our two main issues in the second half of fitness and defence with all of it connecting back to the mental part. Our depth looks way better then last year imo and we don't have to panic buy to English level players or play Vuna.

Probably a bit simplistic but I think if our fitness is way better then in the Holbrook years we should win more then we lose with this squad.

Rep Player

Desa Lipa

I like it

https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...9b17aa5221?amp

2024 NRL scouting report: Gold Coast Titans spine doubts, burning issues, long-term contracts
    The Titans are brimming with talent, but have one major issue and very little salary cap space to address it. It shapes as a significant challenge for new coach Des Hasler.

Travis Meyn
    @travismeyn
    3 min read
    January 5, 2024 - 11:00AM
    News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

NRL: New Gold Coast Titans coach Des Hasler has already begun making a positive impact on the club in his first preseason.
    A new dawn is emerging on the Gold Coast as Des Hasler takes over the Titans.
    After back-to-back bottom-four finishes under former coach Justin Holbrook, Hasler takes charge of a Titans team brimming with talent.
    However, questions remain about the makeup of their spine and its ability to take advantage of one of the most fearsome packs in the league.
    Can the two-time NRL premiership-winning coach transform the Titans into title contenders following 16 years of mostly mediocrity?
    We are about to find out.
    2023 RICH 100 REPS: David Fifita (12, $1m), Tino Fa’asuamaleaui (22, $900,000), Moeaki Fotuaika (44, $750,000), AJ Brimson (54, $700,000), Isaac Liu (100, $550,000)
    Key forwards Tino Fa'asuamaleaui and David Fifita. Picture: NRL Images
    Key forwards Tino Fa'asuamaleaui and David Fifita. Picture: NRL Images
    FREE AGENCY WRAP AND RATING
    Des Hasler walks into a club with a ready-made roster and little room to move.
    The Titans have already filled their top-30 squad and have six players on their development list, giving Hasler little flexibility to make changes for the 2024 season unless he can release contracted players.
    They have got 13 players signed on long-term deals until at least 2026, including Tino Fa’asuamaleaui, David Fifita, Moeaki Fotuaika, AJ Brimson, Jayden Campbell, Beau Fermor and Alofiana Khan-Pereira.
    The Titans have a stable future when it comes to their squad but they are missing one big piece of the puzzle – depth in the halves.
    RATING: B

COACH STATUS AND SAFETY RATING: DES HASLER (2026)
    Hasler is one of the safest coaches in the NRL as he embarks on his first season in charge of the Titans.
    A two-time NRL premiership-winner, and five-time grand finalist, Hasler has the runs on the board and will be given time to put his mark on the Gold Coast.
    A finals berth isn’t out of the question with the quality players Hasler is inheriting and it’s hard to see him being sacked if the Titans miss the playoffs.
    SAFETY RATING: A
    TITANS 2024 SQUAD AND BEST 17
    Jacob Alick, Tanah Boyd, AJ Brimson, Jayden Campbell, Erin Clark, Iszac Fa’asuamaleaui, Tino Fa’asuamaleaui, Beau Fermor, David Fifita, Jojo Fifita, Kieran Foran, Ryan Foran, Moeaki Fotuaika, Tony Francis, Klese Haas, Jaimin Jolliffe, Brian Kelly, Alofiana Khan-Pereira, Keano Kini, Isaac Liu, Ken Maumalo, Josiah Pahulu, Keenan Palasia, Chris Randall, Phillip Sami, Aaron Schoupp, Treymain Spry, Joe Stimson, Sam Verrills, Thomas Weaver. Dev List: Arama Hau, Ben Liyou, Jaylan De Groot, Oskar Bryant, Ryder Williams, Seth Nikotemo.
    Ins: Keenan Palasia (Broncos)
    Outs: Kruise Leeming (Wigan Warriors), Joe Vuna (released)
    BEST 17
    1 Jayden Campbell
    2 Alofiana Khan-Pereira
    3 Brian Kelly
    4 AJ Brimson
    5 Phillip Sami
    6 Kieran Foran
    7 Tanah Boyd
    8 Moeaki Fotuaika
    9 Sam Verrills
    10 Keenan Palasia
    11 David Fifita
    12 Beau Fermor
    13 Tino Fa’asuamaleaui (c)
    14 Chris Randall
    15 Isaac Liu
    16 Jaimin Jolliffe
    17 Joe Stimson
    LIKELY DEBUTANTS
    Josiah Pahulu, Tony Francis: The Titans blooded plenty of new talent in the NRL last season like Iszac Fa’asuamaleaui, Keano Kini, Jacob Alick, Tom Weaver and freakish tryscorer Alofiana Khan-Pereira.
    Don’t expect to see Hasler hand out so many NRL debuts next season given the bulk of his squad has already tasted the top grade.
    Former Ipswich State High captain Josiah Pahulu is a promising front-row prospect while Tony Francis bagged a hat-trick on the win for Burleigh in the Hostplus Cup grand final.

WHO TAKES THE NEXT STEP
    Tanah Boyd, AJ Brimson, Jayden Campbell, Sam Verrills: The Titans need a number of players to find another gear in 2024.
    Halfback Tanah Boyd is under pressure to prove he is the answer in the No.7 jersey.
    The dynamic AJ Brimson needs to stay on the field and contribute consistently, whether that’s at fullback, centre, five-eighth or off the bench.
    The time has come for Hasler to find Jayden Campbell a permanent home in the starting 13.
    Hooker Sam Verrills needs to play more than 15 games in the season.
    Burning issues

1. Do Titans need a spine realignment?
    The Titans have the forward pack to take them deep in the premiership race, but question marks remain over their spine.
    Coach Des Hasler has some big decisions to make on what his playmaking set up looks like.
    Will he pick Jayden Campbell, AJ Brimson or Keano Kini at fullback?
    Is Tanah Boyd or Tom Weaver the long-term answer at halfback? What happens at five-eighth if Kieran Foran, who is likely entering his last season, is not available?

Can Sam Verrills stay on the field?
    There’s no point having a gun forward pack if the spine can’t get the job done.

2. How do they learn to handle defensive pressure?
    The Titans’ defence was shocking under former coach Justin Holbrook and that’s what ultimately cost him his job.
    While they have had little trouble scoring points, the Titans crumbled under any sort of defensive pressure.
    Hasler’s first job is to turn the Titans into a more resilient team without the ball and improve their defensive structures.
    3. Contract tightrope could prove a distraction
    The Titans have developed an obsession with long-term contracts and time will tell if that’s the right strategy.
    They have 13 players signed until 2026 while captain Tino Fa’asuamaleaui recently secured a 10-year contract extension. The same type of deal hasn’t worked for the Cowboys when it comes to a Dally M Medal winner in Jason Taumalolo.
    The Titans have gone heavy on their forward pack, spending close to $3 million a season on David Fifita, Moeaki Fotuaika and Fa’asuamaleaui, leaving little to bolster the all-important halves.

CRYSTAL BALL
    Hasler will put this young Titans team through the toughest pre-season they’ve ever experienced and will be quick to figure out who the pretenders are at the club.
    He will improve Gold Coast’s defence and the forwards will take them a long way, but question marks around the halves means the Titans won’t challenge for the premiership in 2024. They are looking at a seventh-10th finish on the ladder.
    FINISH THE LAST FIVE YEARS
    2023: 14th
    2022: 13th
    2021: 8th (eliminated in first week of finals)
    2020: 9th
    2019: 16th
    2024 TAB ODDS
    Premiership: $34
    Minor premiership: $51
    Top four: $5
    Top eight: $2.50

To miss the top eight: $1.47
    To miss the to