Page 44 of 61 FirstFirst ... 34 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 54 ... LastLast

Good shout on Francis WD, made a difference with him starting our sets off.

Keenan needs to find his last years form week in week out here or he'll be overtaken. He's shown up the road he's a decent NRL level prop, but that showing was crap. I think he'll be ok.

First Grader

Yeah Francis was great for the limited time he was on the field. 7 runs for 74 metres with 37 being post contact. Each carry was really strong and it took 3 defenders to bring him. What I also liked was his willingness to get involved to do the hard yards, something I think he has really improved on.

Maan our defence was just a rinse and repeat of ‘23!..but I’m taking solace in the fact it’s a trial and blowing out the cobwebs and all that…but mostly trusting that Dessie now knows what he’s working with. Won’t be an overnight fix though.

Unfortunately Tanah proved once again he’s not the one..and as long as we persist with him as our first choice 7 we won’t be a serious threat. Not that Weaver was much better yesterday but i believe he’s a much better all round player. Weaver and Foz for me.

-Beau will surely be better for the run, reckon he’s a bit gun shy.

-Though he tried to unsuccessfully to put on a couple of big hits, Palasia looked very sluggish.

-Tony Francis’ carries were awesome and what we lack from our current wingers. Can’t wait to see him get his shot this year.

-Jakob Alick was the invisible man.

Once again, it was a trial so I’m going with the cup half full (for now) haha.

The most disappointing thing from yesterday was our spine. Verrills and Randall were steady but directionless while Bryant was promising again. Boyd and Weaver were completely outplayed by Foxwell, who gets my smokey award, not that that means anything.

I am going to draw some fire for this but I don't believe Kini is NRL ready. The step-up from Cup is huge so his speed and guile are largely negated while his size is a huge impediment, case in point Tuaupiki. JC is safe when he returns and if we play Kini from the start we are going to get towelled more often than not from every line-break and high ball. I wouldn't send AJ back again but I'd consider sending Sami back and Francis on the right wing.

One other observation: Lofi's hit on Russell shows where his bar is now set. Anything less and we know he's bludging. Maumalo while not my favourite player, wouldn't have spent 60 minutes holding the left sideline without demanding the ball in attack. Sure, Lofi can score a try but is that enough currency against poor defensive reads, size and high ball issues. A back five of Maumalo, Kelly, Sami, AJ and Francis has some appeal, I reckon.

A bit negative perhaps but trials are for sorting-out the issues rather than building expectations.
    Last edited by Titanic; 26-02-24 at 08:40 PM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

First Grader

We need more out of Alick and Haas, Alick with 3 runs for 28m and Haas with 2 for 15m but this is also on Boyd, They made their tackles but it's not good enough if we're not getting the metres through our backs either while missing Fifita even though there's no other options.

Jimmy L said during the week about our field position always being in our own half which happened this game again but at the same time we've gone with a backline that isn't built to play that style of footy and it looks like we're going to be pretty conservative coming out of our own end which is what our backs did pretty well. It's going to be a massive test against the Dragons and Dogs compared to what I was hoping for before the game, Their left sides are looking pretty good and two of the bigger/physical edges to deal with.

I like Francis on the right wing to cover AJs weaknesses and that side needs some physicality while moving Sami to the left but we're probably to deep in now. Teams are just going to load up on second tackle against Lofi with a year of film and there defensive lines will be set compared to Francis. Samis contact on Simmonson was a red flag for me, If we're having AJ at centre he can't be getting ran through by an average centre.

I recall there was a fair bit of the not-NRL-ready calls about JC and even Brimmo when he first played fullback at NRL level. I’m a firm believer that once they get to a certain point, running them around in cup does very little for their development. They simply have to get NRL reps if they’re dominating reserve grade - and they have to go through that NRL learning curve, to improve. I gotta disagree T that his speed and elusiveness are traits that won’t translate to NRL. The execution is just different and it can take a bit longer to find that groove. Case in point JC.

It’s not exclusively a fullback thing but the gap between the position from cup to NRL level is huge. And because of that they can’t just play more and more cup and then one day step up to NRL and fit in seamlessly.

In any case…JC will be healthy soon and Kini will have to go back to cup anyway. Who would’ve thought after the Zillman days we would have a surplus of fullback options lol
    Last edited by Hail Sezer; 26-02-24 at 05:40 PM.

Controversy Corner Reincarnate (CCR, lol at those so old that they recognise what I've done there)

HS, I wrote I would draw some flack and I do understand all of that. You are right about JC but so am I.

He cost us games, maybe a bit harsh but he hasn't won us games either. He should cross that threshold this season but in fairness the jury is largely still out with the pundits talking him up as a possible 5/8, injuries, etc. They are both special talents, absolutely no doubt, but the NRL is a huge leveller and we are all tired of losing.

I want to add that in my mind AJ to centre is more to shore-up our underwhelming centres' attack rather than to accommodate JC. When AJ scooted away yesterday I was equally "go you good thing" and "watch that hammy". We are a pretty fragile group, it seems.

Also very much agree with CowB. Alick, Haas and Clark are in huge danger from Pahulu for that last bench spot.

OMG, bring down more lightning, fire and (dare I say it) brimstone ... lol.
    Last edited by Titanic; 26-02-24 at 10:08 PM.

QLD Cup

Most disappointing thing for me is that it is deja-vu with the team selections. Tino is too one dimensional to be playing lock, Fermor is playing on the left, which means Fafita will be on the right getting no ball all season, and our bench selection is lacklustre.

I’m still dumbfounded that we let Sexton go last season without a ready made replacement. Like it or not we almost have to put our faith in Boyd now. He would have to be the luckiest halfback in the comp IMO. Even with Foran flattering him, he was still in the bottom four halves in the league. We can’t throw Weaver in the deep end like we have done to other halves in the past. I have no doubt that he could play at grade but it’s a long season and not that stable environment at the moment.

Tough to see how we will be competitive without a decent halfback steering the team around.

Hahaha we love CCR

T, I hear ya..but JC did not cost us games. Not on his own shoulders anyway. Tbh, it's not often I could point to one player that single handedly cost us games - except for BK not throwing that pass to Sami in like 2021 or 2022 v Melb in Sunny Coast....he cost us that game

We're all tired of losing but is there any selection that we can point at as having really won us games? I'd argue that JC has contributed more to winning us games, or at least giving us an opportunity to do so, particularly last year - hence why AJ has found himself moved to centre - sorry to quash your other theory. For JC to get to that level of play, he had to learn to adapt his game to NRL for nearly two years after showing he was probably too good for Cup in 2021. Took time, being benched, and filling in last minute, but he improved over that time with the NRL exposure.

Lastly - what ever happened to your new years resolution? It's not even March yet lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NZFan View Post
    Most disappointing thing for me is that it is deja-vu with the team selections. Tino is too one dimensional to be playing lock, Fermor is playing on the left, which means Fafita will be on the right getting no ball all season, and our bench selection is lacklustre.

I’m still dumbfounded that we let Sexton go last season without a ready made replacement. Like it or not we almost have to put our faith in Boyd now. He would have to be the luckiest halfback in the comp IMO. Even with Foran flattering him, he was still in the bottom four halves in the league. We can’t throw Weaver in the deep end like we have done to other halves in the past. I have no doubt that he could play at grade but it’s a long season and not that stable environment at the moment.

Tough to see how we will be competitive without a decent halfback steering the team around.
    Who would you play at lock mate? And what would your bench be

re bench I reckon give it a few rounds see what Des does, try not to read too much into trial team. Could be a bit of movement on that bench to get the best configuration
    Last edited by Hail Sezer; 27-02-24 at 08:38 AM.

QLD Cup

Liu for me. I’d rather have Tino playing physical and Liu can move the ball around.

My bench would be Mo, Palasia, IF/Pahulu and Randall. Joliffe to start. I’d like us playing more direct and physical. No need for Clarke. Palasia to swap with Liu.

Quote Originally Posted by NZFan View Post
    Liu for me. I’d rather have Tino playing physical and Liu can move the ball around.

My bench would be Mo, Palasia, IF/Pahulu and Randall. Joliffe to start. I’d like us playing more direct and physical. No need for Clarke. Palasia to swap with Liu.
    Nice. Don't mind that at all tbh.

I'd ordinarily say Mo to start over Joliffe, but honestly having a bigger body out there early has its merits. I think we all love what Mo brings but I do worry opp middles spot him as a target to offload on.

First Grader

I am of the view that our achilles heel this year (and which has been the same problem for years) will be the halves again with no half in the roster that would in the top 8 halves of the comp and probably in the bottom 2. Also unlikely that Foran will be fit enough to play 27 rounds and as such, there is also no experienced backup 5/8 in the roster either and thus having to rely on moving JC (or AJ) there when needed.

That bench works for me with common sense although I feel Mo performs better when he starts. Fermor isn’t a lock-in either he was worse than rusty and Difita really should have Foran pushing his buttons.

HS, my point was on Kini not JC except that memories seem to be a bit selective. JC had his share of horror games dropping the ball, missing tackles and getting rag-dolled regularly. I certainly don’t blame him solely for losing any games but Kini is going to go down a similar pathway on his learning journey which is my point but happy to be the odd one out.

So where are we? Another year of building? With the exceptions of Des, Fermor and Palasia we are where we were last year minus JC and Difita. Time for at least debating a different strategy. I don’t see that as a negative at all but due process. Des’ interpretation will be interesting indeed … just saying.
    Last edited by Titanic; 27-02-24 at 09:15 AM.

First Grader

To be fair to Fermor he has spent a whole pre-season defending next to Foran and Kelly, suddenly has to line up next to a bloke who weighs 75kg ringing wet, and HSS (who shouldn’t be anywhere near the team.). I’m not too worried about Beau

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    HS, my point was on Kini not JC except that memories seem to be a bit selective. JC had his share of horror games dropping the ball, missing tackles and getting rag-dolled regularly.
    They're selective because if you're looking at the negative of the process, you also need to look at the positive - and I think at the end of the day, JC's development has been a net positive given how he performed last year. That process was necessary to get him to where he is now. Keep in mind these things you're talking about, which I think did get exaggerated at the time, are from 2021 and maybe 2022. Back to KK - there will not be a point where Keano plays so well in Qcup week to week that he's suddenly NRL ready, that's just not how it works. And if that line did exist, I'd say most people would say he crossed it last year anyway.

It's a good discussion point and it does make me think - how nice would a competition that better bridges Qcup and NRL be? Hmmm

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Titslover View Post
    To be fair to Fermor he has spent a whole pre-season defending next to Foran and Kelly, suddenly has to line up next to a bloke who weighs 75kg ringing wet, and HSS (who shouldn’t be anywhere near the team.). I’m not too worried about Beau
    I'm not worried either but he was bad defensively on the weekend and a lot of it was just him. Had nothing to do with HSS who met his assignments for the most part. I don't really get the HSS hate.