Page 19 of 61 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 29 ... LastLast

How long will the Fifita torn pec take to heal? He’s getting surgery. They can take a long time can’t they?

EDIT-it’s a partial tear. Well he should be right then I guess for round 1.
    Last edited by Mini GF; 05-12-23 at 06:34 PM.

Long odds for him to be in good enough shape + pass the Des test to be ready for Round 1 IMO

Fermor back on the left, should win some early games..

Round 2 is a bye so they might give him that little bit extra time and miss the first game and bring him back round 3.
    Psmitty

First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Long odds for him to be in good enough shape + pass the Des test to be ready for Round 1 IMO
    They showed him briefly at training on gold coast news yesterday and he looked a tad beefy. Agree that this injury will set his fitness back and may struggle for round 1
    Last edited by Whats Doing; 06-12-23 at 08:51 AM.

Hasler has had success with both Orford and Hodkinson and could see Tannah playing a very similar role to them two and playing the whole season for us at 7. Its funny, I see Bulldogs fans complain alot that if Hasler recruited or developed more dynamic and better halves than Josh Reynolds and Hodkinson that they would of won a premiership with ease, the least of our problems atleast, would love a pluggy little half that guides the team around. (Speaking of congratulations to Fogarty and his new deal at the Raiders)

First Grader

Tannah didn't have much to work with on either side of the ball last year. This year he's running out with AJ beside him it looks like and one of Alick/Haas and Fifita when he comes back or Fermor if he goes right + Hasler teaching them a whole new system. It should open up his running/playmaking game a lot more on that side + we rarely went there with good ball.

First Grader

I hate to be a downer but I just really don’t think Tanah’s ceiling is very high, if I was to say Tanah will be the first choice QLD 7 in a few years would anyone think that is realistic? One of my main concerns is that he seems pretty limited as a playmaker and doesn’t seem to have much vision. From memory he had a few games next to Fifita at the back end of 2022, someone who he’s played next to his whole school career and I thought here we go heres his chance to give him good ball. I saw none of that. I know a 7’s main job is to lead the team around the park, but if I was a halfback with a weapon like Fifita it would be my mission to get him into space.

In terms of game management he also seems to shy away when the game needs him to step up, bar the field goal in the last game of 22. Happy to give him a few games at the start to prove himself but if he can’t show something, Weaver deserves the chance to shine.

Quote Originally Posted by Titslover View Post
    I hate to be a downer but I just really don’t think Tanah’s ceiling is very high, if I was to say Tanah will be the first choice QLD 7 in a few years would anyone think that is realistic? One of my main concerns is that he seems pretty limited as a playmaker and doesn’t seem to have much vision. From memory he had a few games next to Fifita at the back end of 2022, someone who he’s played next to his whole school career and I thought here we go heres his chance to give him good ball. I saw none of that. I know a 7’s main job is to lead the team around the park, but if I was a halfback with a weapon like Fifita it would be my mission to get him into space.

In terms of game management he also seems to shy away when the game needs him to step up, bar the field goal in the last game of 22. Happy to give him a few games at the start to prove himself but if he can’t show something, Weaver deserves the chance to shine.
    You're not being a downer mate, but I also don't think anyone on here really thinks Tanah's ceiling is that high. I'd say he'll get the jersey because he's prob the most assured option with the most well-rounded game as of right now but there's competition there.

I've seen it mentioned a bit about him not feeding Fifita good ball but that is a 2022 season thing right (when they were both on the right)? I don't think they played same side in season 2023. We're talking about a time where Tanah was a handful of games in as a 7, Fifita was having a down year and Holbrook was being weird with his usage, and our entire game plan was to set on the right post to attack down the left in good ball. IIRC that's why Fifita didn't get a heap of attacking ball in 2022 when they were stationed together. AJ/Fermor and BK were our good-ball priority. It's definitely a skill that Tanah needs to be better at, but I don't think our attack has been that hindered by his inability with the ball. We just have much more efficient ways of attacking in good ball.

I trust Des knows what he's doing there. Tom won't back down from pursuing that 7 jersey either and if he can get better adjusted physically, he'll be pushing for it sooner rather than later. I've got a feeling we're taking a swing at Dearden too, but don't see him leaving the Cows.
    Last edited by Hail Sezer; 06-12-23 at 07:31 PM.

First Grader

All good points mate, especially about our attack not suffering with him at 7. Fair enough about the usage of Fifita too, I guess as Cow said if he can’t make something happen with Brimmo and probably Fermor outside him this year then there is no excuse. My main concern is that an elite 7 is needed to go to the next level, and despite the talent in our side and Des coming in, I just find it hard to get too optimistic if he is our halfback.In Des we trust though.

I’m not quite so anti Boyd. He can certainly kick goals which often seems to be overlooked and we didn’t struggle for points in 2023. Game management, defensive reads, sixth tackle options and a diverse general kicking game are a lot of faults but all things Des should be able to polish. Boyd v Weaver will interesting in a good way.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titslover View Post
    All good points mate, especially about our attack not suffering with him at 7. Fair enough about the usage of Fifita too, I guess as Cow said if he can’t make something happen with Brimmo and probably Fermor outside him this year then there is no excuse. My main concern is that an elite 7 is needed to go to the next level, and despite the talent in our side and Des coming in, I just find it hard to get too optimistic if he is our halfback.In Des we trust though.
    Yeah that's fair, although I reckon Fermor will be on the left. I do think that how our team constructs points has been more about how they're coached to play though - if we are a side that continues to construct sets to attack down the left in good ball, then it won't matter who Tanah has outside him on the right - he's just going to continue to play his role in that gameplan to get to a spot on the field. Edges don't necessarily get equal opportunity with the ball due to personnel, but having better strike on both sides should open up how we can gameplan to attack with the ball. At the end of the day if we're doing well for points in general then I'm not too fussed how we bring the points up, but I'm excited to see how Des goes about it.

I think the elite 7 thing is spot on when it comes to the nitty gritty of winning a comp and going deep in finals. History supports that for the most part. But an elite 7 doesn't guarantee you even make finals (look at DCE and Ben Hunt). To make the 8 and be a finals team, which for us is the next level IMO, I think we can take that step with our current crop. It was our shambolic defence that kept us so far from the 8 last year and we could've had Cleary at 7 and we still would've been leaking far too many points. An elite 7 would be fantastic of course - but I don't think entirely necessary for us to be a better side than we have been the last 2-3 years. Finding one that is available, and isn't on the verge of possibly depreciating due to age (looking at you Hunt) is the biggest challenge
    Last edited by Hail Sezer; 07-12-23 at 08:50 AM.

First Grader

I'm probably being too optimistic about Tannahs ceiling due to the role he was given under Holbrook like HS said but he also has some pretty good skills to work with already and Des should be able to get the best out of him I'd hope. I don't think he'll ever be throwing cut out balls or anything but whenever he's used his running game I think he's looked pretty dangerous. If he can get that right side going well with AJ, Fifita, JC and Sami, It should make life a lot easier for him and open up space.

It will be interesting anyway, As much as Des has worked magic with fullbacks he's done well with pretty much every position.

Anyone go to the Xmas event last night?

First Grader

I'm not allowed with in 500m of Randall sadly these days, I tried to kidnap him for my missus because she loves guys who can go to any position.